Author Topic: This is for anyone who loves playing trismegistus.  (Read 2321 times)

Offline lycianzer

• Dagger Carrier
This is for anyone who loves playing trismegistus.
« on: August 25, 2016, 05:28:32 pm »
I talked to the creator of the game about me making a new Trismegistus in C without the limitations of the SwordofMoonlight game engine.

This is what I need to help make this possible. If anyone has any hand drawn or computer generated maps of Trismegistus please send them to me. If anyone has ever created a walkthru or gamefaq or hint and tip please send them to me. I am just one person and the more information I have the less likely I will overlook an easter egg or item in the original game.

If there are any bugs, annoyances, loopholes passed original programming that you want to see gone then let me know.

If there is a feature you think may help add to the gameplay of the original Trismegistus then let me know.

Things I have accomplished:
-Making own models with several texture maps and bump maps to switch to depending on model's range away from the player character.
-First Person input engine
-Title Screen placeholder
-Water engine for the start of the game water source

Things I want to implement in future:
-Better atmospheric environment feel.
-Particle magic effects
-Minimap
-Map feature with ability to write text at points of interests the user marks on map
-HUD Compass - Possibly four different compass options with the ability to select which one you like in the options menu.
-HUD Mana bar with restrictions on magic casting. How much mana you have is dependent on magic ability level. Mana recharge rate increases as your mana pool increases in size.
-Merge all higher level variations of spells together so one cast of spell type casts all three
-Quick Key magic spells
-HUD Health - no longer die from one hit. Maybe die from two or three hits. Maybe add difficulty levels.
-Achievement system.
-Character\Pause screen
-Inventory screen
-Spell screen
-Options screen
-Customisable control layout for keyboard and gamepad
-Day/Night engine for both realms
-Weather effects engine for both realms
-Quick key Toggle on\off run
-Change Dream stones to Scry\seer crystal orbs
-Add background music
-Ambient sound effects
-Footstep surface interaction sound effects system
-Key ring. After figuring out which key opens which chest it adds it to the keyring. No longer have to fumble through entire inventory to find one key.
-Maybe make lockable doors
-After opening chest the chest remains open so you don't keep going back to the same chest.
-Automatically increase magic ability and intellect on collection of items that increase those stats
-Unearthed locations are easier to identify and change appearance after using the spell
-In game character voice possibility with the option to turn on/off subtitles
-Instead of the alchemist knowledge being a mirror, maybe make an alchemist grimoire book that is interactable and upon examing new objects and spells it magically appears in the book.
-Player character model with rigged animations
-Video cutscenes in certain parts of the game
-Third Person Controller with option to switch to classic First Person view
-Might add easter eggs or hidden cheat spells around the game world like walk on water, etc.
-Might make fire interactive meaning you get to close you get burned.
-Draw call distance fog. Definitely going to add this but not sure if I want the user to be able to change the distance or not. In other words objects are not called into play unless they are a certain distance away from the playable character.

Above: The untextured shrine in which you get Alchemist Knowledge at the beginning of the game. The top part will house some sort of glowing light probably in a brazier. The lower part will have a well and the base floor will be stone blocks. As you get closer to the well an arm will reach upward out of the well presenting you with the Alchemist Knowledge. This is what I have planned anyways for just the start of the game.

My game making skills:
-Programmer - C, Java, JavaScript, ActionScript, basic, HTML, PHP, CSS, GML, and several others
-3D Modelling - Mesh creation, texture maps, bump maps, rigging for animations, morphing
-Audio - Computer generated sound machine for all forms of instruments, Sound mixing, instrument merging, post processing
-Concept Design: I can draw in ink without making a mistake, I can create line art from my raw ink drawings, I can digitally paint and add textures to my line art.

Anyone who helps me with the remaking of this great masterpiece will be listed on the credits screen with how you contributed to the remaking of this game.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 07:20:20 pm by lycianzer »
"You can silence my voice, cut away my tongue, make me deaf, make me blind, you can lock me in a cage throw away the key, you can severe my fingers and toes, you can drug me to the point I won't even know I'm alive, you can scar my soul, but you can not destroy my dreams!"

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
Re: This is for anyone who loves playing trismegistus.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 06:00:36 pm »
I think this looks interesting, but why do a remake? Taking inspiration and applying it to a new IP would give you a lot more creative freedom.
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline lycianzer

• Dagger Carrier
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 11:25:26 pm »
I been struggling within myself on that very same question. Should I make my own game engine and release it. My main issues have been what should be the storyline plot and everytime I get into the depth of the plot I end up expanding a feature in my mind that is going to cause me to redraw my game plan and push back a release date.

My personal game I'm creating started with the idea that you are an elven wizard in a fantasy setting, now I have months of work that are day dreamt up daily that i keep writing down and realize I should have a book finished by now. It has twists and turns. My main thing I want to do is figure out the limitations I want to give the character. Should it be like Morrowind or Skyrim where the player can go anywhere from the start, should they have melee and ranged combat not just magical, should there be more realistic damage.
"You can silence my voice, cut away my tongue, make me deaf, make me blind, you can lock me in a cage throw away the key, you can severe my fingers and toes, you can drug me to the point I won't even know I'm alive, you can scar my soul, but you can not destroy my dreams!"

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 12:15:43 am »
You don't really need to go too in-depth with writing in games, as I've found while working with SOM. All you need in the beginning is some good ideas and a simple story arc, everything else comes naturally when you get into the flow of things.

I would recommend working on a small scale while focusing on only a few core design principles. Or rather, make a demo that feels like a complete game before you commit to expanding it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:23:12 am by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline lycianzer

• Dagger Carrier
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 08:31:46 am »
I have mainly been working on the programming aspects of the game to get the physics down for right now. Even broke the physics in my game and saved the code for future weird spell ideas. One of my oldest programmer friends used to say "Let the code play out, save a back up of the code, then break it to see what happens. Sometimes you'll spawn an idea from breaking the one you intended. Even if you don't like the monster you created, you know how to create it and can prevent others from duplicating the mistake." That quote taught me a whole new way to look at programming.

Most of my models are just placeholders with a hover over display of what they are supposed to be. Just to remember what I want to place there.

The world I'm making is unfolding in my brain, I want to write it down. Not just to expand upon the game but in case I come up with an idea I like, I can always go back and read it instead of forgetting it and coming to a writers block later.

Though I'm not well known. This isn't my first time programming or modelling. I have been making game mods underground since Duke Nukem 3d's map editor was released when I was a kid. I have made numerous mods all with success and even broke the programming code for a few games. One of my programming expansion codes actually allowed unlimited leveling and perks in Fall Out series and Elder scroll series. I was originally going to expand upon the idea of the unlimited leveling into making a level up system above and beyond what the developers had in mind with new perks, but the home I lived in with all my stuff got burned to the ground. I would have to start over again literally like a phoenix from ashes. I backed up the Fall Out code on mod nexus and found it years later. The code itself was meant to listen for when level 50 is reached then set your level back to 49. I was going to expand it into listening to level 50 being reached then prestige into a new leveling up system with a new experience to next level, perks, level number, titles, etc. I never got around to it.

I have written a lot of indie games in 2D and 2.5D. I mean I had over a hundred I never released to anyone but my family and they loved each one and would laugh at them. My first time crashing a game was when i made a brick break / break out clone game and had an 8-way ball split. My idiot self didn't put a limit to max amount of balls on the screen and each one was running realistic physics collision engine that I created myself. After second time crashing my own computer I figured I should put a limit of 50 or less. After 50 are on the screen if you get an 8-way it just gives you massive bonus points. Seemed to work.

The two most influential people on my life growing up are programmers. One used to bash in my head to learn C as soon as possible. When I was younger I was too lazy to pick up the 500 page book and learn. I used trial and error. He has a job working on VR devices. He let me play with something similar to Google glasses that hasn't been released on the market yet. It's crazy. The other one is stuck in a basement underground programming for the government. I have around thirty people that test my games, but those two are the ones that can tell me what they think is happening. Only once did a bug stump all three of us.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 09:38:41 am by lycianzer »