Author Topic: AVI videos not playing  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Admiral Barrett

• Long Sword Swinger
AVI videos not playing
« on: May 30, 2016, 07:14:29 pm »
I just compiled the prepackaged King's Field remake that came with SoM and when I started the game, the videos did not play. I know that all of the current versions of Windows get stupid when it comes to AVI files because of codec problems. Do I need to download a specific codec to get past this or is the problem elsewhere?

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
Re: AVI videos not playing
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 05:20:26 am »
I'm not sure what causes this issue, but it's a problem that a lot of people seem to have on modern OSs. If it's preventing you from starting the game, you can just edit out the movie files in the editor.
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline Admiral Barrett

• Long Sword Swinger
Re: AVI videos not playing
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 01:17:27 pm »
I'm not sure what causes this issue, but it's a problem that a lot of people seem to have on modern OSs. If it's preventing you from starting the game, you can just edit out the movie files in the editor.

My kneejerk response to why this occurs may have to do with the fact that older versions of Windows (pre-XP) had AVI codecs in the operating system. When XP came out and Microsoft started pushing Media Player hard, I think that is when they shifted to WMA and started abandoning AVI. I have plenty of players that run AVI and have codecs, just nothing native, meaning SoM won't play movies. :doh:

It is a shame that there is not someone out there who is...enterprising... enough to find a way to patch around this.

EDIT: I have confirmed that the issue is DEFINITELY a codec issue. The current system I am using for development is an old Windows Vista machine. However, when I tried again on a Win7 machine, the videos fired up without any problems. Unfortunately, I ran into a new bug that prevents one from pressing any keys to start the game and the opening video and title screen loop endlessley. :doh: :smash2: :movingeyes: If it isn't one thing, it is another.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 01:44:04 pm by Admiral Barrett »