Author Topic: Videos for making in-game map items unavailable  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Admiral Barrett

• Long Sword Swinger
Videos for making in-game map items unavailable
« on: May 27, 2016, 06:55:00 pm »
I observed that the two videos that show how to make the in-game map items are now unavailable. Would it possible to get those reloaded or could I be directed to another tutorial that shows how to make those maps?

Thanks. :smile:

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
Re: Videos for making in-game map items unavailable
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 01:00:39 pm »
This might help you, it's a tutorial I wrote not too long ago.

http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/bbs/index.php?topic=930.0
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline Admiral Barrett

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 03:26:47 pm »
That is a very informative tutorial and I appreciate that.  :smile: However, What I am looking to create are the inventory map items that allow the player to reference where he or she is in the stage, not the individual map tile pieces for stage construction. Does that use the same procedure or is something else involved.?

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 02:31:21 am »
Oh, I thought you were talking about map pieces. :movingeyes:

Well that's easy. You'd just make a 300x300 image and draw it lined up to your map. The SOM grid is 100x100, so each map piece would be equal to every 3x3 pixels on the image. You can use the map files in the sample game as a reference to help you. Remember to save the image as a 256 color bitmap in your game's pictures folder.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 02:37:37 am by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Offline Admiral Barrett

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 07:10:59 pm »
Oh, I thought you were talking about map pieces. :movingeyes:

Well that's easy. You'd just make a 300x300 image and draw it lined up to your map. The SOM grid is 100x100, so each map piece would be equal to every 3x3 pixels on the image. You can use the map files in the sample game as a reference to help you. Remember to save the image as a 256 color bitmap in your game's pictures folder.

I understand the principle behind this, but I am uncertain as to what drawing tool would be used. Are we talking about Paint.net, GIMP or something else?

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 05:29:13 am »
I use Photoshop for all my graphics, but I think a map like that is doable in Paint. Just copy the background color and fill it in, then copy the darkish brown color and start drawing your map lines pixel-art style. If you use Photoshop or Gimp, you can easily give the map lines a faded look by combining stuff like add-noise and a transparent eraser.
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Offline Admiral Barrett

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 01:13:00 pm »
I use Photoshop for all my graphics, but I think a map like that is doable in Paint. Just copy the background color and fill it in, then copy the darkish brown color and start drawing your map lines pixel-art style. If you use Photoshop or Gimp, you can easily give the map lines a faded look by combining stuff like add-noise and a transparent eraser.

That is what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks a lot.  :biggrin: