Author Topic: Flashing text during gameplay (seizure warning).  (Read 3402 times)

Offline StormGaza

• Dagger Carrier
  • uh oh ~ David Bryne
Flashing text during gameplay (seizure warning).
« on: April 02, 2016, 07:36:15 pm »
For some reason when I boot up Dark Destiny all the text, videos and related glitch out and just begin flashing rapidly. I've ran and completed King's Field SOM Edition with no issues what-so-ever. I uploaded a video to visualize what I mean by flashing text. This doesn't occur during gameplay and that seems to run fine. I've ran the program in administrator mode, 256 colours, and in compatibility mode with Windows XP (version 7) as well as running the game with different devices, resolutions and texture modes. Does anyone know how to get this text to stop? The game is playable, but is quite annoying with the text constantly flashing. I think this is the right board for this. I'm also running Windows 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g429PU_fDYE
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 04:02:43 pm by StormGaza »
herb shuttles

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: Flashing text during gameplay (seizure warning).
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 12:09:58 am »
Interesting that you aren't having any problems with text on the original KF1 som version.  The video issue doesn't surprise me as the codecs used to compress the ones in DD are very out of date and super archaic and just dont really work well with modern setups.  I am curious...do you use the custom SOM font in the SOM version of KF1?  It really would be the only difference I can think of...either that or maybe you have the resolution set differently for DD than KF1?
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 12:00:47 pm »
Try copying and pasting the settings found in KF1's .ini file over to Dark Destiny's .ini file, and see if that does anything.
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 01:35:42 am »
Minimize or close everything other than the game.exe. If it still persists try disabling any overlays such as Aero.

Failing that, try selecting another adapter in the settings.

Offline StormGaza

• Dagger Carrier
  • uh oh ~ David Bryne
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 04:04:16 pm »
Here is a video of my settings in SOM and how it runs. I have since made the settings identical from SOM to Dark Destiny as the only difference was the filtering and the problem still persists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC40hUOMhqM

This video I solved the issue of the flashing text (it may appear there is no text at all in the beginning but it is flashing so fraps did not pick it up) by changing the device to RGB emulation however it makes the rest of game look pretty bad and still has the text appearing scrambled. The game also runs slower in this mode. I modified a couple more options in the game in the video but it just makes it slower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJyqlQ6zUzk&feature=youtu.be

I'm thinking it could be a font issue but I have no idea how to change fonts.

Interesting that you aren't having any problems with text on the original KF1 som version.  The video issue doesn't surprise me as the codecs used to compress the ones in DD are very out of date and super archaic and just dont really work well with modern setups.  I am curious...do you use the custom SOM font in the SOM version of KF1?  It really would be the only difference I can think of...either that or maybe you have the resolution set differently for DD than KF1?

I am not sure if I use custom fonts but the fonts are different from the original but when I downloaded the game it was like that. The settings are currently set the same in both games. Is there a way to change the fonts?

Try copying and pasting the settings found in KF1's .ini file over to Dark Destiny's .ini file, and see if that does anything.

I copy pasted it and it did nothing changed. I then went into the Dark Destiny settings and made them identical to my settings in KF1 and the problem still existed.

Minimize or close everything other than the game.exe. If it still persists try disabling any overlays such as Aero.

Failing that, try selecting another adapter in the settings.

I closed everything from my nvidia control panel to virus protection and the issue still exists. I'm not sure what Aero but I don't think I have that.
If by adapter you mean device (in options) then I did and although solved the problem created another one (see the second YT link).
herb shuttles

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 11:16:29 pm »
Try setting your device type to Device=2 at the top of the .ini file, that is the best option for Nvidia cards as far as I know. Alternatively, you could use my settings for Dark Destiny, just download this attachment and replace the one in the game folder.

If none of this works, then it may be your operating system. SOM is an older program and may have compatibility issues with anything newer than Windows 7. I have Windows 8, and while it runs games just fine, the editor has a tendency to crash.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 11:24:12 pm by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 12:20:32 am »
Ill have to dig around and see what causes it to use a different font, might be embedded somewhere in the .exe file. I will let you know after I find it.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline StormGaza

• Dagger Carrier
  • uh oh ~ David Bryne
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 07:14:48 pm »
Try setting your device type to Device=2 at the top of the .ini file, that is the best option for Nvidia cards as far as I know. Alternatively, you could use my settings for Dark Destiny, just download this attachment and replace the one in the game folder.

If none of this works, then it may be your operating system. SOM is an older program and may have compatibility issues with anything newer than Windows 7. I have Windows 8, and while it runs games just fine, the editor has a tendency to crash.
I tried replacing the game.ini you posted and the problem persisted. Although the game ran better the text is still flashing. In my original game.ini the device is set to 2. I tried setting it to 1 but the problem is still there. Perhaps it is my operating system, but I still find it weird that the remake worked fine but this doesn't.

Ill have to dig around and see what causes it to use a different font, might be embedded somewhere in the .exe file. I will let you know after I find it.

Thanks, that would be awesome. I loved the remake of the first game and would love to play this.
herb shuttles