Author Topic: Some good news? ...and a request for help...  (Read 3821 times)

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
Some good news? ...and a request for help...
« on: August 07, 2015, 05:31:58 pm »
So...  I've been working on another game and HAVE NOT run out of steam.  (like I did last attempt months ago)
That's good, right?

I'll keep the spoilers to a minimum, but here's a few tidbits.
 - The music is done.  :D
 - The weapons are done (though there may be some changes in their stats once I get going)
 - The magic spells are done (though there may be some changes in their stats once I get going)
 - I've got the general map "design" DONE, but I need some help finishing the map...

I downloaded Pumpkin Paster and tried to use it, but I can't seem to get it to work.  ...and it has to do with not being able to find the project folder!

If I search C:\, Windows finds the folder at this location.

C:\Users\Hguols\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Sword of Moonlight\(project name)

Sword of Moonlight sees the project being at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Sword of Moonlight\(project name)

...which is weird in itself, because that's where I originally put it - but its no longer there!
As you can see, those folders aren't there in the Pumpkin Paster program.

I REALLY don't want to manually copy these huge sections of map square by square.

Can someone help me out please?

Oh, I may drop off the map a bit in a week.  I just got married and I've got a week honeymoon right off the white sandy beach / ocean.   :drool:
...but I'm still planning to work on this project a little bit during then. 

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
Re: Some good news? ...and a request for help...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 11:47:34 am »
Well, I figured out how to find the SOM folder - I basically had to cut and paste it to my desktop. (I wondered if Windows 8.1 Program Files had permissions that were blocking the folder from being read - I was right)

....but I wish the YouTube tutorial showed how to LOAD the maps in Pumpkin Paster.
I still can't figure that out and I'm not seeing any other instructions.  I ultimately hit a wall when it tells me it can't find any .prt files.

EDIT:  Even when I go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Sword of Moonlight\data\map\parts - which is FULL of .prt files, Pumpkin Paster still says that no .prt files are located there.

EDIT EDIT: I figured it out!  (I needed to run as administrator)  The map is done!  Filled out every square possible on 00.  :D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 12:27:49 pm by Hguols »

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 01:07:51 pm »
You generally want to keep in mind that program files on Windows 8 has some really annoying administrator restrictions for program files. So if you ever have trouble with a program, check that Windows 8 isn't restricting access, because that's often the case.

Good to know that somebody other than me is working on a SOM game. I've been working hard on my own project for almost a year now, and it's in about the same state as your own right now. We'll have to check out each other's games when they're done, good luck. :cheesy:
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 01:20:32 pm »
Oh, mine won't take anywhere near a year to make.  HAHA!!!  I barely have two weeks in this and it might be another month or two to get made.  ...and since I know nothing about custom pieces/graphics, I'm still using the same old boring original pieces that come with the gamemaker.

I'll divulge more information on the project later, but its something different yet again from Diadem of Maunstraut, Trismegistus and The Field of Kings.

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 07:43:41 pm »
Interesting, if you want to at least give your game a different look, you can convert the .txr files in SOM's data folder to image files using Wolf's prf editor tool and edit them as you like. If you need any help creating pieces, making music, or whatever else look me up on Skype, that seems to be where certain members of the SOM forum like to congregate these days.

And to be fair, more than half of that year was planning and procrastinating, so it's more like six months that I've been working on the meat of King's Field 5. :smash2:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 07:49:41 pm by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 10:29:04 pm »
This is good news indeed, thanks for the head's up on Skype Taffer ;)

Sorry I am one of those folks who doesnt come here much these days, but thankfully a few people keep me apprised of news worthy events!

Grats on the marriage Tom, glad things are working out well for you. Looking forward to your game.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 11:39:48 pm »
Hi Todd!  Long time no see!
Obviously, I haven't been here much either.  John still around?
I chatted with Kilroyfx some the past few days.

I had all day to kill and spent like 6 hours in SoM.  Its been YEARS since I've done that.

I got wrist deep into events today.  I probably scratched my head for a half hour trying to make sense of what does what again, but it was like riding a bike.  (a nice giant sword shaped bike I might add.  Ok, that made no sense.)

Still, I made great progress today.  I've still got quite a bit of creation to go, and more than previous games, I'll be testing stats more.  (because this game is more focused on grinding to get numbers/stats and getting strong enough to push forward, than traditional KF exploration)

A fun kind of grinding by the way.  Its turning out well so far.

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 11:52:30 pm »
Interesting, if you want to at least give your game a different look, you can convert the .txr files in SOM's data folder to image files using Wolf's prf editor tool and edit them as you like. If you need any help creating pieces, making music, or whatever else look me up on Skype, that seems to be where certain members of the SOM forum like to congregate these days.

And to be fair, more than half of that year was planning and procrastinating, so it's more like six months that I've been working on the meat of King's Field 5. :smash2:

I appreciate the offer, but I don't want to get caught up on graphics/looks - I'm really trying to get the "addictive game" formula down, and accomplish that with what I have.  Thank you though.

Regarding the music, I haven't done the MIDI thing for a while.  (that was the Diadem of Maunstraut music)
...I've been almost exclusively live instruments the past few years.  I've got some classical piano pieces that I've constructed - something actually part of a bigger project that I'm borrowing from to make this game's soundtrack.  Any of you guys are free to listen to it here:  http://www.eversoul.net 
...if you're curious about this game's music.

I'm a bit behind on more songs though, but I'm attributing that to getting married, other life stuff, not to mention the two full length albums I've already done this year.  (one signed and released from a German record label, one releasing from a record label in Brazil)

Speaking of music, are the soundtracks of SoM games/demos from here posted anywhere?

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 11:46:42 am »
Hi Todd!  Long time no see!
Obviously, I haven't been here much either.  John still around?
I chatted with Kilroyfx some the past few days.

John pops in now and then as I do (probably more often I suppose), but at the moment seems to be on his yearly hiatus.  Glad to see you still have the old spark, wish I could say the same but these days I am kind of forced to make games for money, I don't have time to make them for fun :(

I wanted to bug you about getting DOM a home on som.com since the old k-f.com site is no more.  Drop me a line sometime!
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline djil;f

• Video Game Addict
  • Bow Bearer
  • Pro Gamer
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 07:55:23 am »
May I ask who you work for? :sweatdrop:
Sincerely-djil;f