Author Topic: King's Field V - General Discussion  (Read 5669 times)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: King's Field V - General Discussion
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 03:58:57 pm »
I can say from experience From Software couldn't care less what is made with their software, after numerous attempts to even get a generic response from them regarding the game I made, it is unlikely they would pay any mind to a fan made sequel in regards to creating new games.

I don't believe From Software will ever revive KF, and if they did it likely wouldn't be anywhere near the same engine/concept of the original series anyhow.

To put things in perspective...I sold almost 2 million copies of FortressCraft at this point, that is more than many AAA game studios get with their games...and you know how much the developers or publishers of Minecraft care?  A big whopping 0. 

I think From Software would just as soon take an actual physical dump on a copy of any SOM made KF game as care whether or not they release a game with the same name as one of them...in fact From Software doesn't give a damn about anything a non Japanese audience has done or says.  The only reason there was ever an 'ear' to the fans of King's Field was because of Agetec and the same holds true for the Souls games, Namco/Atlus were the ones that listened and worked with the US fanbase, From Software just makes games, they don't involve themselves with people and fans.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 02:44:02 pm »
I would think that interest MT's King's Field V would improve chances of a new King's Field installment because any KF interest would only boost sales.  But, like Todd says, I don't know if they are even aware of what fans are doing these days, or if they even makes their own decisions any more  since their takeover.

I'd like to think that least some of the artists who worked on the KF games will come across these sites and the projects dedicated to their work and be honored - maybe even be encouraged to promote new KF-like games wherever they're working now.

dmp- About the Chronicles of Verdite video, the KF2(US) guide where most of the stuff on KF.com came from was basically a mirror to the Japnese KF3 Strategy Visual Guide. That has a 9 page section titled "The Chronicles of Verdite".  I've been thinking of translating it for awhile but I just haven't got time for more side projects right now. Hopefully after Brigandine is done,  :badteeth:

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 01:53:05 am »
There's a possibility that King's Field V will have a complete setting change. Playing through some of the King's Field games made me realize that a sequel should do new things rather than sticking with the old, though I won't know for sure what I'll do until after I finish playing the trilogy and start rewriting the story. I'll edit the first post if this change does occur.
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 12:35:02 pm »
There are a few things that I think are the 'core' of what made KF great; you've mentioned them in other posts. As long as a sequel stays fairly true to the core that made it distinctive, I think changes can make it new and interesting.

Offline Xethuminra

• Mace Masher
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 09:49:06 pm »
If anything, I'd be curious to know how you would fit Eternal Ring in there haha

Do people actually care about Eternal Ring on here?

I actually love everything in the game that's not broken, undeveloped or the ice level

:)

I can't stand the Ice Level

Offline Auric

• A.K.A. Scott
  • Mace Masher
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 10:15:03 pm »
I care about ER. I feel that it had great potential, but it could have used more work. Gameplay was short, combat balance seemed lacking and the story was ok (not good but also not bad. Like everything else it could have used more work.). Ring creation and use was fun. The currency system was unique as well.

It's one of those games that I want to like, but just has too many flaws.

Offline Xethuminra

• Mace Masher
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 01:52:34 pm »
The gem system was the progenitor to the soul system in many ways. Too bad it didn't take gems to level up, that would have been cool

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything linking Eternal Ring with King's Field

Dragons and Lizard Men? Haha

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 12:28:01 am »
Now that the Return to Melanat patch is finished, I'm getting back to work on this project. A lot has changed since I first made this post, so here it goes...

First off, I had a few goals in mind when I first created this project and they are:

- To create a game that felt like is was made by Fromsoft themselves.
- That the game feel very handcrafted and polished.
- To connect the lore of the original games and TAC.

Now I'm sure this will disappoint some of you, but I will be dropping the last goal, simply because it conflicts with the first. Seeing as how King's Field 4 abandoned the lore of the original trilogy, I think the next logical step the series would take is to create an entirely new world all together. The obvious benefit to this decision being that it would give me a lot more freedom to do what I want to make a better game.

As for the level design... forget the chart I made. I'm completely redoing the world, because I now want this sequel to be an original title and not something that feels rehashed. Though, some common locations and quirks from the series will still make a return. For example, every King's Field game always has some kind of garrison, numerous cemeterys, and a mine of some sort. Anyway, I'm significantly reducing the number of maps to around 14 or so, all of which would be roughly the size of the maps in King's Field NA, and each map will contain 3 or 4 separate areas, similarly to how maps were structured in, again, King's Field NA.

Lastly, there's the story, which is another beast that I'll have to tackle. Simply put, I want for it to match the depth of the original trilogy at least and not feel like an afterthought like it did in The Ancient City.

I'll be posting more stuff in the coming weeks, as I've got lots of planning to do. Wish me luck!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:30:34 am by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 07:26:04 am »
Good luck MT I am sure you'll ace it  :smile:

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 07:07:56 pm »
So I've done quite a bit of concept work for the reworked plot and setting lately.

First off, most of the game will take place in a large, undead-filled hellhole called The Underworld, and a small kingdom above it named Nephrite. The plot will center around the first king of this kingdom, Ruus Vinhardt, who is resurrected as an undead 100 years after his reign. When he emerges from his tomb, he discovers that his kingdom is in ruins and that a gate leading to The Underworld has been opened underneath Nephrite Castle. Having no other option, he ventures into the gate to find a way to close it and banish the undead from his decaying kingdom.

The level design itself will be similar to The Ancient City, in that it will be very nonlinear and handcrafted. Also, being that the game has a heavy theme of the undead, it will be a lot darker in tone than any other game in the King's Field series. And sorry, but King's Field V won't have anything to do with the story of the original trilogy, as I felt that creating a new world would be a more logical progression for the series.

Anyway, King's Field V will have its own map sets and far more custom resources in general than any of my past games, including a custom soundtrack (right Ben? :wink:). It's going to be a very big project that I'm guessing will take around 8-10 months to finish. Once I finish conceptualizing, I'll start a daily update thread here so that everybody can keep up to speed with the progress of this project.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 09:08:43 pm by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.