Author Topic: Preview window in map editor not working.  (Read 2513 times)

Offline WightHunter10

• Long Sword Swinger
Preview window in map editor not working.
« on: January 20, 2015, 10:34:40 pm »
Hi, I'm new to this program and I would love to start using it but I have an annoyance right off the bat. When using the map editor I can't see the 3D previews of the pieces I'm trying to use. I am running on Windows 7, and I tried turning off the DirectX Hardware Acceleration, but I still have the same problem. If there are any other fixes, I'd love to know. Thanks.

Offline Havok

• Long Sword Swinger
Re: Preview window in map editor not working.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 02:05:20 am »
I'm definitally no expert but Sometimes this happens to me but if I leave the program and re-enter I can see them again..or can you not see them from the start either way?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 02:07:33 am by Havok »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 02:45:15 pm »
http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/bbs/index.php?topic=867.0

Hello WightHunter10 and welcome to the forum. Above is a resolution to your problem, in my post about half way down. Used it on about 3 or 4 machines and it works every time.

Just dont forget to turn Hardware acceleration back on to test maps,or to use other programs. Cheers!

Offline WightHunter10

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 04:01:53 pm »
Thank you so much Verdite! It all works great now. :biggrin:

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 05:28:46 pm »
Is this the solution that worked?
Try this: Right-click on your desktop and select "Properties". Go to the "Settings" tab and click on "Advanced...". Click on the "Troubleshooting" tab and move the slider to the left until it says that all DirectDraw and Direct3D accelerations have been disabled (around the middle of the range). Finally, click on "OK".

Offline WightHunter10

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 06:14:18 pm »

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 06:22:53 pm »
There seem to be multiple solutions suggested on that page and I was wondering which one to refer people to in the future. You said you had already tried turning off DirectX Hardware Acceleration so I assume some disabling methods work and some don't on Win7.  I run SoM on an XP computer so I'm not up to date on methods for win7/8 :smile:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:24:39 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline WightHunter10

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 09:48:47 pm »
Oh sorry for the misunderstanding I used the second method. I had a different DirectX control panel when I tried turning off hardware acceleration the first time. I had to get the control panel that the link described, and it worked fine. I'll try the first method as well and will get back to you on the results.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 11:12:25 pm »
It is possible that the step 'right click > run as admin' had not been performed. In Win7 if this action is not performed on some older .exe files it can lead to files not saving correctly and so on.

Very welcome wighthunter10 I hope that you'll ask away if you have more questions
 :smile:

Offline WightHunter10

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 03:32:17 pm »
Is this the solution that worked?
Try this: Right-click on your desktop and select "Properties". Go to the "Settings" tab and click on "Advanced...". Click on the "Troubleshooting" tab and move the slider to the left until it says that all DirectDraw and Direct3D accelerations have been disabled (around the middle of the range). Finally, click on "OK".

I don't think I can do this fix. When I right click on my desktop I don't have the option to select "Properties". Although this fix was meant for Windows 8 and I have Windows 7.