Author Topic: Brigandine Grand Edition...  (Read 385969 times)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: Brigandine Grand Edition...
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2015, 03:23:28 pm »
About the hit %, computers don't really do random well. The hit percentage seems accurate overall in Brigandine, but the randomness isn't handled the same as it would be if you rolled dice in the real world. The PS1's random routine loads a 'seed' number, processes it through a mathematic formula, and then writes part of the result as a new 'seed' and returns another part of the result as a randomly generated number. That randomly generated number is used by Brigandine as a hit % modifier. So basically, every time you do an action in Brigandine, it generates a new hit % modifier seed that will influence that will affect the outcome of the next action. If that modifier seed is low, the next attack will have a significantly lower chance of landing regardless of the shown hit %. I still think the shown hit% is accurate overall, but I've never tested it.

About names, against my better judgment several were changed back in the last release including Vampire Lord. Paladin was never changed. "Cavalier" and "Avenger" were made up names by Atlus and are literally "Knight" and "Black Knight" in the Japanese- which is what I used in the translation. Is it that you want me to carry over Atlus' mistranslations or is it that you want me to always use the literal Japanese? Does anyone else have an opinion on this? I think Atlus made some stupid name mistranslations in places (like G-Scorpion) and I don't like the idea of continuing those.

The "Cat O' Nine Tails" name was too long for the menus so I used a less common ancient name for that whip "Nin Haler" (nine tails). I could use probably fit "Cat O' 9 Tails" but I think it looks bad.

Offline Rovole

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2015, 09:56:12 pm »
About names, against my better judgment several were changed back in the last release including Vampire Lord. Paladin was never changed. "Cavalier" and "Avenger" were made up names by Atlus and are literally "Knight" and "Black Knight" in the Japanese- which is what I used in the translation. Is it that you want me to carry over Atlus' mistranslations or is it that you want me to always use the literal Japanese? Does anyone else have an opinion on this? I think Atlus made some stupid name mistranslations in places (like G-Scorpion) and I don't like the idea of continuing those.

The "Cat O' Nine Tails" name was too long for the menus so I used a less common ancient name for that whip "Nin Haler" (nine tails). I could use probably fit "Cat O' 9 Tails" but I think it looks bad.

Personally, I don't mind a number of translation differences. English speakers should be used to having multiple words and phrases referring to the same things, and frankly you shouldn't take English-translation advice from people who aren't fully familiar with the language. Don't feel bound to honor the original translation, you've already proven you can do a better job than the original translators.

As for the class names, Cavalier is workable synonym for Knight, since Cavalier refers to someone who follows a code of chivalry, much like what a knight is expected to. As for Avenger as Black Knight, Helrato in LoF comes pre-promoted as an avenger, and his bio refers to him(Helrato) as a black knight. Avenger is a full 4 characters shorter than "Black Knight," but with "Vampire Lord," you'd think character limits weren't an issue, though lets not fall into the fallacy that shorter names are preferable, just that excessively long ones should be avoided.

If you still think Vampire Lord is too long, there are a long list of synonymous words or phrases, such as regional folk names(Strigoi, Nosferatu,) or words alluding to his supernatural nobility(Count.) Or, as has been suggested before, to name the third-tier ghoul promotion just "Vampire" and the preceding tier something else. Orlock, Ghast, Gravier, Revenant etc.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:59:42 pm by Rovole »

Offline dpbj602

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2015, 12:00:22 am »
I just don't get why all of a sudden the axe user can use swords (Berserker -> Black Knight)

Offline Rovole

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2015, 03:48:24 am »
I just don't get why all of a sudden the axe user can use swords (Berserker -> Black Knight)

If you don't like it, don't promote into the next tier. If I intend to keep a character as berserker, I keep said character from gaining the final class-level until 30. I switch the character into the brawler line to level, so I can have high-level axe users.

I do similar things for characters that are low enough to switch into fighters, for use of blades.

Offline dpbj602

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2015, 12:37:47 pm »

If you don't like it, don't promote into the next tier. If I intend to keep a character as berserker, I keep said character from gaining the final class-level until 30. I switch the character into the brawler line to level, so I can have high-level axe users.

I do similar things for characters that are low enough to switch into fighters, for use of blades.

I know, I just question the logic of an unarmored ax fighter switching to an armored Sword n Board fighter.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2015, 03:06:06 pm »
Hee hee, so in a game where a black unicorns can teleport an acid breathing dragon onto a distant mountain peak, we're wondering why an axe wielder suddenly uses a sword?  :biggrin:  Seriously, it is an odd change. It seems like Paladin/Black Knight should have been two optional paths when leveling up from a Knight, and the Barbarian route should have stayed pure axe-berserker. It might have something to do with the design team wanting to reuse each sprite a certain number of times and the Knight's re-palleted sprite already has a sword?

Rovole, Thank you for you input.  :smile: Space considerations were rarely a factor, and then it was more about name width (after the variable width font) than number of letters. My problem with Vampire Lord was that I thought the "lord" part was Engrishy. Japanese stick a title like that on the end of names to signify "powerful" but in English it actually means 'ruler of something'. Since the Vampire Lords don't rule anything, I thought a different name that actually meant "powerful vampire" would be a more accurate and sound better. It was just a minor point so I changed it back since some people weren't happy.

Offline dpbj602

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2015, 06:36:12 pm »
Internal Consistency is all I ask for :-D

Offline Valentari

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2015, 12:53:55 am »
Only 2 characters left to find voices for.  Unfortunately, one of them is still Lance.  It's really hard to find someone who can do young boy really well, as it turns out.  I'm trying to get you guys the voiced dub as fast as my contacts in the voice acting world will allow me, folks!

Offline Chazchu

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2015, 07:56:37 am »
Hee hee, so in a game where a black unicorns can teleport an acid breathing dragon onto a distant mountain peak, we're wondering why an axe wielder suddenly uses a sword?  :biggrin:  Seriously, it is an odd change. It seems like Paladin/Black Knight should have been two optional paths when leveling up from a Knight, and the Barbarian route should have stayed pure axe-berserker. It might have something to do with the design team wanting to reuse each sprite a certain number of times and the Knight's re-palleted sprite already has a sword?

About this, when I first started LoF in the long-forgotten 2000 I think, I always thought that the Berserker would become a Death Knight like Cador, and the Cavalier would get to choose since he was the same model for both Avenger and Paladin. But I have to say, the Avenger/Black Knight is one of my favourite classes in the game so I always level up the Berserker to it.

Offline duredure

• Silvarion Slasher
  • Die Pigs
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2015, 01:04:56 pm »
Just wondering..

1- Is possible to do a mod to create a new classes for some monsters that only have one upgrade like roc -> phoenix, griffin -> holy griffin, etc?

2- Is possible to add the battle scenes from forsena on it?  I love Ge but I miss so much the scenes.  I remember in my old memories  bahamut vs Fafnir  :doh: