Author Topic: Brigandine Grand Edition...  (Read 383211 times)

Offline Mirsa

• Long Sword Swinger
Re: Brigandine Grand Edition...
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 05:20:22 pm »
Many years ago I used to play a PC version of Risk, that even offered an online mode as well.  During the campaign version of the game there were about a dozen AI characters, all with varying personalities and styles of play.  It wasn't too in depth, and it didnt take too long to figure out "Ok so Barcebena basically plays like an a-hole and isnt even trying to hold a continent" but I thought it was interesting that they even tried.  In the end trying to play Risk vs multiple AI was a failure of epic proportions and I could win inside of 8 turns with ease.  I think the Ogre Battle targetting was pretty interesting as it was so basic but really is 4 totally different key strategies.

If you do find yourself doing a game and it is anything at all like Brigandine, I will gladly support something like that on Kickstarter.

Also if you do take me up for any voice acting roles, I call dibs on Gallo.  I can't even recall if he had any cutscenes in GE or not, but he was always my favorite grappler class for some reason.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 06:19:36 pm »
I forgot to reply about voice acting. Most of the roles have been filled. Gallo doesn't have any movie lines. Lance is one of the main roles still unfilled. The member here "Valentari" has been doing a wonderful job with finding voice volunteers. You can send him a personal message if you like, or you can contact me and I'll send you the scripts.

I have to say though that I think it takes a quality microphone to get decent sample quality and I'd prefer to get someone who fits the roles well. That is someone whose voice quality is similar to the original Japanese. Here's a recently finished one with  Erin Macdonald as Esmeree and Phillip Galfus as Vaynard. Personally, I was impressed with both their parts.

Offline sffrrrom

• Dagger Carrier
Re: Brigandine Grand Edition translation...
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 09:05:29 pm »

Hiya QBF... saaaay, are you the guy whose always jumping  over the lazy dogs?  :biggrin:

Speaking of serious Brigandine mods, I really do wish someone would do a workover mod for this game. Not a reballance, but a complete new installment. It really wouldn't be that hard.  I totally agree that there are quite a few creature types and spells that never get used.   

As far as getting the AI to level up lower units better, theres a fairly easy way to accomplish that- simply tweak a routine to add a little XP to low level enemy units every turn. The game already does an evaluation of all enemy units and inventories every turn. That XP wouldn't be earned fairly, but I don't know if that matters as long as the game isn't too hard.

I tried to force this manually once - I went down to just one or two castles and sat there for like five or six years, hoping as the AI beat up on itself it would level some creatures up. Unfortunately, this meant A) I had to play on easy mode because of the stupid time limit, and B) it didn't work, because the AI is moderately bad at nurturing units as opposed to letting them die. I think an auto-exp mod/script would really help. If I knew anything about how to do it, I'd do that myself. And eliminate that dumb time limit too.

Edit: Not sure it should be only low-level creatures; a lot of enemy knights could definitely use it and even the mid-range critters the AI sometimes struggles to level up.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:08:09 pm by sffrrrom »

Offline Yuri_RP

• Dagger Carrier
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 02:14:52 am »
Tested using PCSXR (haven't used ePSXe since I found this Emulator).
Using Translation Patch + Movie Sub.
ISO DLed from emu****dise and Patched using PPF-o-Matic.

Played using New Almekia for a few turns and now currently playing with Esgares.
No problems encountered so far. Hope it stays that way till the endgame. :)

This is the first time I've played Brigandine Grand Edition. Gonna have lots of fun and countless nights with not enough sleep. :p

Thank you for your work HwitVlf.  :beerchug:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 02:18:19 am by Yuri_RP »

Offline Tony0075

• Mace Masher
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 09:03:15 pm »
Great Job I have been waiting for this day for at least 10 years !!! I can't say it enough . Thanks a bunch The only problem I have seen is the one already fixed with Cai and Merriot .

Offline kristiancxs

• Dagger Carrier
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 05:48:45 am »
GREAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT JOBBBBBBB SIR!!! YOU ARE A GOD!! thank you so much for your effort in translating this gem :D ...  just registered today so that i can thank you :D... i only have 1 question sir. is there a way to put subtitles in the cutscenes? if there is, how?

Offline Tony0075

• Mace Masher
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 01:18:28 pm »
Use the epxs 190 it is working fine for me .

Offline sffrrrom

• Dagger Carrier
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 03:02:28 pm »

sffrrrom, I hope to make a quick basic difficulty mod some day, but I'm just to busy to be serious at it right now. I had a patch to remove the time limit on Forsena.org. I'll see if I still have a copy.

Thanks! And a difficulty mod would be great, but just the xp tweak would go a long way, I think. The other thing that might work, and might be a lot easier and faster to implement, is just jack way up the xp rec'd for victories, from 200 to like 1000 or something. At least that way the computer might always have higher level units; but possibly it would just exacerbate the AIs campaign weaknesses and widen the gap b/t player and AI even faster. Only reason it occurred to me is I thought it might be easier to isolate and edit that "200" value.

Offline quick brown fox

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 12:49:18 am »
I'm not sure I understand the significance of what you mean.  Do you mean "do not feel"?

My statement was actually in reference to your previous comment:

This is about the 10th game/tool I've translated and most of my projects were extremely literal.

...and I felt that it shows in some lines in the quests. Although I did notice that in specific dialogues you did some 'Westernization' on the translation (e.g. Shast's and Dinadan's lines pre-battle); but I barely know Japanese so my opinion can easily be disregarded.

Also, Seraph is Level 10 while Angel is Level 20? Isn't a Seraph a higher order Angel?

Oh, and aside from the earlier typographical errors mentioned, I have yet to find any game-affecting bugs. The off-center rectangle confirmation boxes strike my inner obsessive-compulsiveness, but no severe errors encountered yet.

Great job man.

EDIT: I forgot to add, the battle 'preview' of two AIs shows the 'Attack'ing team and the 'Victory' team (not 'Defend'ing team).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 01:29:08 am by quick brown fox »

Offline dpbj602

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 02:38:23 pm »
Registered here to thank you for the project! I played LoF on my brother's PS1 back in the day (I was the little kid who accidentally picked Leonia first because of the light blue color, got creamed by Norgard and couldn't figure out why).