Author Topic: Grimoire: heralds of the winged exemplar is ready!  (Read 5116 times)

Offline duredure

• Silvarion Slasher
  • Die Pigs
Grimoire: heralds of the winged exemplar is ready!
« on: October 21, 2014, 09:09:18 am »
As I huge fan of wizardry 7. I'm following this game past 2 years and now is finaly about to be released.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/grimoire-heralds-of-the-winged-exemplar?website_name=grimoireforever

"The Ultimate Retro Old School Computer Fantasy Roleplaying Game in Development For More Than 17 Years Is Now Approaching Completion!!!
FULL FLEDGED DEMO IN NEW RESOLUTION WITH CHARACTER CREATION WILL BE RELEASED TO PUBLIC VERY SOON!!"

some gameplay in youtube

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLx9XO24DuuEjagFfU4tNnNtqjd3tQAdaz&feature=plcp

His last comment: 8 days ago:

Down to 9 issues remaining to be resolved before I issue a new demo at the same time the third campaign runs. This campaign will run for one month to let anybody who wants to still get a manual and a hint guide. No physical perks inside the game will be sold in this campaign.

Been talking to GOG and Steam about digital distribution. Likely everybody who pledged will be the first people to get access to the digital copy of the game with the physical materials shipping afterwards.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 05:53:30 pm by duredure »

Offline Black Hood

• Long Sword Swinger
Re: New Wizardry clone coming (grimoire heralds of winged exemplar)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 10:59:55 pm »
Ah, the Holy Grail of RPGs - Grimoire. Fabled, unfinished, bug-ridden Grimoire. Made by one mad perfectionist Australian neanderthal in his spare time, when he isn't working on his ultimate fallout shelter.

I've been following Grimoire and the wild internet adventures of Cleveland Mark Blakemore for about a decade now. There is a LOT of craziness out there to read about this game and its creator, mainly on rpgcodex. If you have time to kill google will take you places you might regret going in regards to Grimoire.

I take everything said on all sides with massive doses of salt. The super-short version is that someday we may be able to play Grimoire... but don't get your hopes up. Cleve has angered (and apparently delighting in doing so) rpg nerds for a very long time now with his as-yet-unfulfilled promises. "Grimoire, coming soon!" is a long running joke on various forums.

That said, I did contribute to his first indiegogo campaign (yes, I gave him money. Fool me once?) and if he actually finishes the game I'll be very happy to finally play it. I mean, at this point he has apparently received about $17,000 over two indiegogo campaigns towards completing the game. Maybe it really will finally happen!
There is a playable demo out there, and in fact I think anyone can download it from the link on indiegogo. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/grimoire-forever/
Whether it's actually any different from the demo that's been floating around the web since I first learned about Grimoire I can't say. I played it for a bit and it seemed pretty much the same. Definitely fun if you enjoy Wizardry VI & VII or similar games like Might & Magic.
If nothing else his pitch videos are worth watching.

I'm resigned to probably never seeing this game in it's "finished" form. On some level I might be disappointed if he does finish it, because then the game? hoax? prank? sincere project? would be over.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: New Wizardry clone coming (grimoire heralds of winged exemplar)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 02:56:08 pm »
Too bad it's a troubled project; it looks neat. Some of the people here can attest that making a game is a huge workload so I can understand how easy it is to get bogged down and go slow.  I'll be keeping an eye on it regardless.

Offline duredure

• Silvarion Slasher
  • Die Pigs
Re: Grimoire: heralds of the winged exemplar is ready!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 05:54:24 pm »
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=893772412

Finally the game will be ready to purchase!
20 years of development by one single guy. Amazing

Offline lubronbrons

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 09:32:26 am »
that game somehow remind me of mordor depth of dejenol...
I love nearly all the features in mordor, except its level up system
kinda annoying every time level up we must go to city

and now grimoire,
with just first glance in youtube preview I don't think I will like it
I think the problem is the UI for me

Offline duredurereborn

• Dagger Carrier
Re: Grimoire: heralds of the winged exemplar is out! 04 august 2017
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 05:17:01 pm »
Finaly

Offline Black Hood

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 08:51:37 am »
It's true, Cleve released Grimoire! It's a new age. I got my Steam key yesterday and had enough time in the morning to install it, make a couple of characters, and start the actual game. Didn't run into any of the bugs people have been reporting. If you enjoy games like Wizardry 7 or Might & Magic, Grimoire is similar. I'm really looking forward to actually playing it after waiting so many years! I'm still amazed it actually happened.

Offline Black Hood

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 07:02:08 pm »
So just a quick update:

Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar exists, is on Steam, and is fun to play if you enjoyed games like Wizardry 6 & 7.
High points are the dungeon designs, artwork, story and feel.
It's still got minor and possibly major bugs (which are being fixed), missing content, balance issues, and so on, all of which are gradually being addressed. Cleve is pretty active and responsive on the error reporting threads and quite a few of the things people have reported have been attended to quickly.
Grimoire is Cleveland Mark Blakemore's Magnum Opus, so I expect he's going to keep tweaking and fixing it for the rest of his life; and now he has an active community of testers banging away at it, so that's good, right?

Anyway there are plenty of discussions and comments on Steam and elsewhere about this game, perhaps too many. I know I've spent way too much time reading them.

Summary: I like the game a lot. Glad I supported it. Hopefully I'm still alive when Cleve sends out physical backer rewards.