Author Topic: King's field V - News  (Read 20734 times)

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
Re: King's field V - News
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2014, 07:09:04 pm »
Castle Dungeon theme, done. Going to redo the royal cemetery track, the other one wasn't dark enough and didn't mesh well with the rest of the soundtrack. :coffee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWvBtvUsE24
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2014, 10:12:13 pm »
Here's a look at some of the custom map parts & textures I'm making for this project. They are pretty high detail, and you'd have to get very close before they start to blur, as is shown in screenshot # 3.
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2014, 01:15:08 am »
I think the textures look very good, but I long for more contrast. I don't think any of the SoM games so far have used the lighting system to the extent it should be. Great looking and immersive lighting doesn't come from bight or dark alone, but from stark contrast in a single view. 

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2014, 01:30:51 am »
Oh yeah, I do plan on adding a lot of light sources throughout the game. King's Field 5 is going to be much darker than Return to Melanat, so I'll be able to pull it off. It'll look something like this. :wink:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 01:56:44 am by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2014, 03:54:54 am »
John are you talking about directional lighting? Theres a slight problem with that, and that is... The direction where a light is cast won't stop at a wall, it'll continue beyond.

This is especially problematic for outdoor areas with houses - houses will have a light cast on their front outer wall for example, which is great, but the wall behind the front wall (the interior wall) will also have the light cast upon it.

For me, working with directional light was a pain for a number of reasons...

- Light does not cast any shadows
- Light size and shape cannot be changed, so light cannot be focused in an area direction, rather the direction set applies the light  'globally' to the map without any falloff

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2014, 04:46:57 am »
I was talking about light/dark contrast of any type, but directional lighting and lamps would be the major ways to achieve that.

I know the lack of shadows are not cutting edge lighting, but I still like the look of strong lights. I think the directional lights work fairly well for outdoor areas to mimic sunset etc, and lamps for indoor areas. I also like increased contrast in textures.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 05:01:17 am by HwitVlf »

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2014, 05:05:51 am »
Could you send me your directional light & lamp settings for the first and last images? I didn't even know I could do something like that.

And I could try increasing the contrast of the textures in photoshop and see what I get.

EDIT: Just raised the contrast on the textures and found that it does make a pretty noticeable difference, I'll play around more with the settings and see what I can get. Thanks for informing me.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 05:28:07 am by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2014, 11:50:06 am »
It may be just my personal preference, but I do like it better.
The first image was with "Basic Lighting (Ambient)" set to 3, and a single lamp object set to 50 intensity, 255 red, 100 green, 100 blue, affect objects=checked. All other lights were off.

The settings for the last image are pictured below.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2014, 08:39:43 am »
This is my outdoor light setup.

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2014, 01:16:29 am »
Redid the Royal Cemetery track. I might have to make some changes to the melody, but otherwise it turned out a lot better than the other one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CCufsOoE7c
🎮 Indie RPG developer.