Author Topic: Discovered a new version of King's Field (US) Lonbox  (Read 2931 times)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Discovered a new version of King's Field (US) Lonbox
« on: September 09, 2014, 05:39:57 pm »
There were two different versions known for the KF(US) longbox games.

The most common version is the original release where the sword on the cover has a black hilt, and the manual has a slightly different picture where the 'light' sword has a triangular butt and the dragon has a different head.

The less common version has pink jewels on the sword hilt, and the same picture on both the manual and cover.

This newly discovered version was apparently released between the "black sword" and "Pink jewel" versions and is kind of a cross between the other two. The box is identical to the original release, but unlike the original release, the manual has the exact same art as the cover. It's phone card is identical to the later "pink jewel" version.

For people who don't know, Sony only used the longboxes for less than 1 year before switching to standard jewel cases so it's pretty amazing that King's Field went through at least 3 different print revisions in that short period. I wonder what triggered the revisions? Attached is a picture of manuals from the three different versions.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 02:43:58 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: Discovered a new version of King's Field (US) Lonbox
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 01:54:29 am »
I have all three of these  :biggrin:
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 03:31:37 am »
I have the last one, which I also happen to like the most ^.^
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 03:58:54 am »
I have all three of these  :biggrin:
Cool! I wonder how common it is. I've only ever seen one copy, but a lot of ebay listings don't show the manual so it's hard to gauge. Do you have more than one copy with the middle manual from the picture?

Attached is an animated GIF from someone who worked with Agetec showing the various versions of the art that were considered. You must view it in program that supports animated GIFs or you won't see all the versions. I wonder if any others ever went to print?

An interesting note, artist Gary Ruddell who did this KF cover art was mainly known for fantasy art, but has since moved on to exclusively painting 'fine art'. You can see some of his work HERE. Not bad!

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:02:44 am by HwitVlf »

Offline Mord of Swoonlight

• Lord Veyrac's Illegitimate Son
  • Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 01:40:06 am »
Oh, yeah - the one I've always had is the one you mention with the black hilt but updated dragon head.  (The middle one)  Neat!

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 03:31:59 pm »
Very interesting! I see I need to get the very first one, because the two I have are the pink and the updated black. :)