Author Topic: King's Field II, accurate recreation, including VR  (Read 7449 times)

Offline HerDarkLord

• Long Sword Swinger
Re: King's Field II, accurate recreation, including VR
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 12:47:51 am »
King's field would be so good in VR. Trying the patch now.

Offline HerDarkLord

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 12:53:39 am »
Sweet, the patch worked perfectly. :)

Offline HerDarkLord

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 01:00:00 am »
I've noticed while holding the spacebar to run, the player can turn with the right arrow key, but the left arrow key locks and doesn't allow them to turn left, while running. If the player hold spacebar to run and moves forward with the W key, they are freely able to turn left and right with the arrow keys while running.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 01:01:35 am by HerDarkLord »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 01:41:29 am »
I've noticed while holding the spacebar to run, the player can turn with the right arrow key, but the left arrow key locks and doesn't allow them to turn left, while running. If the player hold spacebar to run and moves forward with the W key, they are freely able to turn left and right with the arrow keys while running.

That's normal for keyboards. You should invest in a controller, like the PlayStation's or XBox's. It's not meant to be played with a keyboard or mouse. In fact, I think twin handheld controls will eventually supplant the controller, but it can still be used if it has SIXAXIS sensors in it. I played it with full tracking for the first time only last week. It really strained my neck. I really was not expecting that.

EDITED: Just to be clear, your keyboard isn't designed for playing games with multiple inputs. You're pressing more keys than it can simultaneously sustain. Most keyboards won't. You have to look for "gaming keyboards" that don't come with PCs that aren't sold as gaming PCs. But King's Field is a controller game. It's a waste of time to play with keyboards.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 01:44:00 am by Holy_Diver »

Offline HerDarkLord

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 01:50:33 am »
Are there special controllers for the playstation that can be used for pcs? my laptop is pretty old, i don't even know how to hook up a controller to a pc. I have ps4 controllers.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 02:03:27 am »
It should work if you plug it in with the USB adapter the PS4 uses to recharge. Press Esc to change modes. The "default" is 2B. B is inverted. I assume it works before Windows 10.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 02:05:59 am by Holy_Diver »

Offline HerDarkLord

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 02:11:39 am »
Ah, thanks, I'll have to try that, my laptop is windows 8.1

Offline KangzField

• Dagger Carrier
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 10:10:10 pm »
VR? Awesome, I was thinking FROM Software should make a Kings Field / Shadow Tower / Eternal Ring sequel or another spinoff with a PSVR and Xbox's VR optional mode. It's perfect for VR, heck going through dungeon corridors with a low draw-distance (simulating darkness) would help keep the game running 90+ FPS, important for Virtual Reality.
Also, I'm new here. Hello everyone!

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 03:34:10 am »
This demo does VR on my Rubik's Cube sized workstation. It should should work at higher frame rates, but my output is limited to 60hz. I don't believe there's any special reason to say that VR requires higher than normal frame rates, but probably 60hz is a base line, unlike in movies where 20hz or 24hz delivers a satisfactory picture.

VR on PC is a walled garden. I recently tried to use SteamVR to experience a collaborator's game, and did not get far, because SteamVR is unsuited for low cost computers. I've developed SOM to provide the same experience on any home computer that has a GPU. It turns out you can do VR with inexpensive computers. Commercial companies are just not interested in that, just as they discount audiences who own inexpensive computers.

I also recently did full tracking with SOM. What struck me is how quickly your neck is made weak, if you don't break it, by lugging around the heavy set. Very soon the set is pulling your head around instead of vice versa. I didn't expect this because VR is marketed as a playroom affair mainly now. I think it's telling the marketing takes this view even though in practice it's physically impractical or demanding.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 03:59:34 am by Holy_Diver »