Author Topic: King's Field V - General Discussion  (Read 5701 times)

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
King's Field V - General Discussion
« on: August 10, 2014, 08:50:27 pm »
Well here it is, my next big Sword of Moonlight project, King's Field V, and it's exactly what the name suggests: a long awaited sequel to the famed King's Field series.

First off, most of the game will take place in a large, undead-filled hellhole called The Underworld, and a small kingdom above it named Nephrite. The plot will center around the first king of this kingdom, King Vinhardt I, who is resurrected as an undead 100 years after his reign. When he emerges from his tomb, he discovers that his kingdom is in ruins and that a gate leading to The Underworld has been opened underneath Nephrite Castle. Having no other option, he ventures into the gate to find a way to close it and banish the undead from his decaying kingdom.

The level design itself will be similar The Ancient City, in that it will be very nonlinear and handcrafted. Also, being that the game has a heavy theme of the undead, it will be a lot darker in tone than any other game in the King's Field series. And sorry, but King's Field V won't have anything to do with the story of the original trilogy, as I felt that creating a new world would be a more logical progression for the series.

Anyway, King's Field V will have its own map sets and far more custom resources in general than any of my past games, including a custom soundtrack (right Ben? :wink:). It's going to be a very big project that I'm guessing will take around 8-10 months to finish. Once I finish conceptualizing, I'll start a daily update thread here so everybody can keep up to speed with the progress of this project.

I'm looking forward to posting more updates in the future and eventually releasing the game, wish me luck!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 11:15:03 pm by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: King's Field V
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 09:11:02 pm »
 :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Yes, more SOM games!

Thank you, man I love the people on this forum, always bringing out new and great ideas.  I love these games, awesome idea - can't wait to play it ;)
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Auric

• A.K.A. Scott
  • Mace Masher
Re: King's Field V - General Discussion
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 02:27:17 am »
Amazing! It's going to be fun watching this idea grow up into an actual game and I'm sure it'll be even more fun to play it once it's finished. I look forward to seeing more.

Good luck on this! It sounds like it'll take a lot of work and time to create this.  :beerchug:

Offline GusLeRoi

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 07:41:22 am »
TY Taffer. You and Verdite are keeping Kings Field alive...This new game of yours will be awesome  :movingeyes:

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:28:01 pm »
This sounds quite intriguing. I will be keeping an eye on it.

My but you're quite a prolific game maker! And good quality too. Wish I was more like that  :beerchug:

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 06:42:05 pm »
AGHHHHHHH

MT!? What about the Blood Dragon edition of Kings Field?! I have only just bought my 80's aviator glasses and vaguely ethnic clothing. Devastating news.

Joking aside, this is going to be a MASSIVE project, so I hope you stick with it - it could take years to complete. Thank you MT, for making me feel normal about my 2 year project  :smile: really though, good luck and I will be here, like everyone else in the forum, to help out where we can. :beerchug:

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 07:30:49 pm »
King's Field V: Blood Dragon will be a standalone DLC expansion of course, to be released shortly after the main game. :wink:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:36:30 pm by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 02:14:23 am »
I'm playing all four games back to back as part of research before I do any more planning for this project. Just remember that any of these ideas may change in the future.
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 09:26:14 am »
Hey John, have you ever by chance translated what was said in the chronicles of verdite video that came with the dark side box set to see if it coincides with that mish mash of KF history posted on kings-field.com?

Here is a link to the first part of the video, if I knew Japanese I would do it myself :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_wGf2ON8Pc
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 03:36:02 pm »
Don't mean to put a downer on this, but if you call this game KFV and its great, then won't that give FS an excuse to dodge making a new KF game?  :movingeyes: