Author Topic: King's Field III {spoilers, conspiracies, and more!}  (Read 13850 times)

Offline Xethuminra

• Mace Masher
Re: King's Field III {spoilers, conspiracies, and more!}
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 09:34:38 pm »
There's also the issue of Alfred's strange behavior in the bad ending

Offline Xethuminra

• Mace Masher
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 10:04:00 pm »
-shrug-

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 04:38:28 am »
Ha, an interesting thought. Would make a neat twist for a sequel.

The KF2 US story was significantly rewritten by Agetec compared to the Japanese version. Probably by Agetec producer Mark Johnson who once said on Agetec's forums that he had 'worked' on the story and wrote the Chronicles of Verdite from the KF2 official strategy guide.

In the KF Japanese version, Guyra made the Moonlight Sword to and it was handed down in the Forester family, but Agetec changed that saying that it was given to King Alfred by Vallad.

I don't think Seath and Guyra were supposed to be good and evil so much as selfish incarnations of the Asian Yin/Yang philosophy. Evil is not 'bad' it's more like a source of strength and determination whereas 'good' is a source of compassion and order. Guyra craved power and Seath craved order (ie through control) and they hated each other like any decent yin/yang allegory must.

I don't know that the monsters which accompanied the dragons were the dragon's henchmen as much as evil spirits unleashed on the world when the dragon's 'opened' doors to the human world in order to manipulate stuff. There are lines in the game that suggest the dragons actually lived in other dimensions and couldn't hurt each other directly so they used humanity as pawns to 'kill' each other. Both of them were trying to find powerful humans to posses and thus make their will manifest in the mortal world.

That evil voice for Vallad always seemed like an odd choice to me. Seems like something was behind it... I would expect the story writers at Fromsoft had a lot more background in mind than was directly laid out in the game. So really, anything you image could be correct.

Offline Xethuminra

• Mace Masher
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 09:10:58 am »
Well, I knew about the name changes in the localized version. There are many item descriptions and npc names which are different in the localized versions of From Software games, all the way up to Dark Souls, actually. Honestly, I was really hoping that nobody would bring it up, at least for awhile. Looks like I would have to do a translation of the Japanese games to get the real deal. For all I know, Necron in Shadow Tower is a completely different character with a different name in the Japanese version.

Oh joy.

Did Agetec  really change the origin story of the SoM in KFII(us)? I would love to confirm this without translating the Japanese game.

Also, I really like your comparison between Seath and Guyra and Yin and Yang. I totally see it, and it fits thematically.

Yeah, each of them has their own "space dimension". I wasn't aware of them being confined to it, but it would make sense. Guyra was trying to resurrect himself....

I thought that the creatures produced during the war between Guyra and Seath were made to guard and battle for the gods. I am unaware of any unintentional byproducts but that doesn't mean I couldn't be wrong.

From Software's fantasy videogames have always been ambiguous and open to interpretation.

Which is exactly why I find the relationship between Seath and Guyra so fascinating...

King's Field 3 was the last time they actually explained everything!

Does Vallad even exist in the Japanese version? Hahaha

Checking around with the Mirror of Truth today to find mention of Vallad.

Offline Xethuminra

• Mace Masher
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 10:43:58 am »
Crazy Joe Santos, of all the people, is the only one to mention "Vallad's" name.

Wow

The Truth Glass describes the "Dragon King Plant" as being a manifestation of Vallad

It doesn't prove that Vallad is exactly who he says he is.

The Sword of Moonlight's item description, according to Mark, is that Vallad created the sword.
But now I am questioning the translation.

And Orladin and his two disciples were jerks.

Did anybody ever figure out what the Giant's secret was?
Where did Shudom and the last giant go?
Kinda reminds me of DSII ;)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 10:50:33 am »
Shudom and the last giant went to Verdite - they died outside the earth cave as Shudom's grave is there along with the remains of the last of his 'children'.  I presumed Shudom, in his typical mickey mouse fashion, made the promeus golems and lost control of them, he and his giants were then stuck in that cave defending themselves to the end.

I am glad you called them jerks :)  I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought they were...when I added lore for them in Dark Destiny some folks couldn't figure out why I made them out to be selfish and or incompetant in some ways.  Same goes for Orladin, great archmage as he was he was still flawed a plenty!
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Xethuminra

• Mace Masher
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 11:14:11 am »
According to my US version lol

Thedek summoned dangerous demons for old King Harvine

The talking giant skeleton said that Shuddom left the cave with the giant's brother to a land in the north (sound familiar?)

But not before Shuddom created at least two kinds of clay golems, at least one of which was actually killing the giants and fighting with Shuddom... hence Shuddom fleeing the cave.

What was the secret of the Giants? I remember receiving a key

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 12:52:05 pm »
Vallad did exist in the Japanese the same as the US version.  Here are a couple interesting Japanese links:

Encyclopedia Auto-Trans

Relation chart Japanese / Auto Trans

The significant changes that I know of were the source of the Moonlight Sword, and the single warrior who supposedly saved Verdite in ancient times became a group of Dragon Warriors.

I don't think Agetec was mistranslating, they were partnered with Fromsoft during the development of KF2(US) and contributed to the story from the beginning. It's just that since KFJ was never released in the US I think Agetec didn't feel compelled to include its lore in the English storyline whereas the Japanese version had to.

Offline Xethuminra

• Mace Masher
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 01:45:39 pm »
Ah, but the original lore from King's Field (JP) was included in the US version of King's Field III.

The Royal Sanctuary plays a critical part in the story, towards the end of the game

As for the Dragon of the Forest/Hero of Verdite, I didn't think it had much relevance but i could be mistaken... Sounds like more dragon god shenanigans to me 

(Guyra)  :madani:

Offline Xethuminra

• Mace Masher
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 01:47:57 pm »
Fascinating links btw

Gonna take me awhile to digest that haha