Author Topic: The Maunstraut 2009 Project  (Read 9407 times)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
The Maunstraut 2009 Project
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 12:30:50 am »
BTW, when you get closer to completion feel free use the site to make a section for your game.  I can easily put a link on the main page to whatever you wanna make.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 02:57:01 am »
Here is a new teaser screenshot. This came about from redoing the entrance/exit to the Path of Sorrows map. I just had to stick something here (to hide something else -- so often the case with SoM :twisted: )

The Eternal Soldier/Sword: A memorial for the fallen soldiers of Maunstraut.

If you look to your side, this is the first thing you'll see entering The Path of Sorrows (an area dedicated to ranking soldiers died in battle)

You can actually take the armor and sword, but the placard will insinuate that is not such a good idea. For one thing, with the weight system you might find yourself paralyzed from the weight. But also there are a number of cursed equipment which cannot leave your inventory and add to your weight (and probably have other negative qualities, though often balanced against good ones)

Some of the early cursed equipment give you the option of putting it back where you got it (this will probably be the case for this armor)

It is also possible to remove curses, making some items usable, others better. And that is where most of your money will probably be spent, because there isn't a ton of stuff to buy equipment wise. Also most monsters don't drop money, and if they do, they won't respawn (ie: respawning undead might drop 0~2 coins -- left over their eyes)

Most money can be earned by dragging found equipment weaker than your starting set to the war merchant setup in the Path of Sorrows for a bit of money -- and lost time (which might play an important role aside from bragging rights)

There will be a strict accounting over every item in the game. And only so much you can actually spend money on, so collecting after that only weighs you down (though there are stuff like inflicted curses and prayer donations to keep feeding)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 05:09:41 pm »
Here is another aerial screenshot (of the starting map)

http://swordofmoonlight.com/holy/dom/screens/Maunstraut09_lv02.png

It turns out I was mostly lucky to be able to shoot the castle map so easily, but if you disable the "Perform Map Optimization" in the Map Setting dialog, then you can do this with any map (the performance will go way down though)

I don't have any plans to add anything new area wise to this map... well other than possibly a village you start in if possible.

The giant termite (thinking about calling them Antlions) queen now feels like a proper area boss. You also can take it on first and skip the Path of Sorrows map, or if you go thru that map you can use the Graveyard key to even the odds againts the queen. The termites now paralyze and the queen only bites (but hard -- btw I learned that if you increase the size in the parameter editor that messes up collision so that close range attacks basically won't happen because you can't get close enough to initiate them)

I setup a switched gate at the end of the PoS, so if you do skip it, you still gotta go back thru it later if you ever want to go backwards thru it.

Now there is a fairly large tomb behind the queen which has a secret entrance into the castle chapel (an NPC will help you find it, so no big spoiler here)

PS: This one was in 32bit mode, so it's much blurier :twisted:

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 07:07:41 pm »
Here is a screenshot of a new portion of the Earth Lair map.

The fierce Earth Giant leaps to protect his prized possession.

It's more just a den added to the map. So much strength is required to push open the giant's door, and if you live you get the honor of climbing upon his giant sized furniture and obtain his massive key to his massive chest which houses an optional story item.

His room is so massive you can't see the ceiling. You can sort of make out a stalactite (or mite??) in the top right corner of the shot (taking the screenshot was a bit tough cause he rushes the door -- and I didn't feel like pinning him down for a promo shot :twisted: )

PS: I have the underground passage into the castle fleshed out. I think I'm going to stop and work out the challenge level / play style up to that point. So I could probably use some playtesting then to make sure everything feels right 8)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 10:49:03 pm »
Very very nice,

I had started using a similar concept with the 'giant' stuff but mine was instead a pixie town and everything was tiny:)

I would love to help you playtest...I am at the same juncture in DD...I have all the maps roughed in, now its time to test the armor and weapons etc vs the enemies power and numbers.
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 01:56:44 am »
Here is the Tree of Life (edited: originally The Healing Tree) area...

This reworking (not only does it look better I think) get's around that pesky object disappearing act when you turn your back on something like that giant tree and it's outreaching canopy. I couldn't even make it stop doing that by disabling the Map Optimization option.

Key parts of the game like this area are the real stumbling blocks to pushing back the draw distance. But this was a fairly major gain. Once you start digging into DoM, you can see a lot more reasons Tom had to cut the draw distance back, other than his usual respawn excuse :twisted:

It still feels as dark as before... you can just see further out into the darkness. In fact I've cut original DoM lighting level in half. It's a very dark game, and I even recommend setting the brightness setting until you can just make out things in dark areas like tombs and caverns (the outside is usually darker :twisted: )

I just love the peeling effect of the 16bit colour model. It really works with the lofi graphics (the 32bit colour is sooo dull) ...It would be pretty interesting to see the 16bit renders put through 32bit antialiasing (pretty much what has done with this screenshot)

This isn't a view the player is likely to get in the game, so enjoy (if possible I'll sprinkle some rocks on the ground to let the player climb up here... as long as nothing breaks)

Of course the scene will need a lot of grass and stuff in the final release... but I have bigger fish to fry for now :roll:

PS: I also very much redid the path leading up to the tree. It is somewhat more holy feeling now :P

Also the lighting level in this screenshot is probably much lighter than what you'll get in the game...

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 02:12:13 am »
Btw... for some inside info... because the Weeping Willow trees seem so out of place amidst the dead world of DoM. I'm planning on setting up an interesting scenario, where the Phantom Rod item allows you to talk to the willow trees. You'll most likely be able to get the rod just after entering the Path of Sorrows map (2nd in natural order)

Basically the willow trees are older than the kingdom and have a special life source connected to the Tree of Life. Anyway, the function of talking to them will just give you hints to help you along thru the game in different ways... because I won't want any guides of this version, much less official. I won't be helping the players out in any way. I don't mind them writing their own guides Gamefaqs style (these games should have a Gamefaqs page btw)

But that is sort of a grey area considering the game will be open source. I'd rather people not use the source files to solve the game. It shouldn't be that hard anyway. I might keep the sources under lock and key until some months / someone wants to seriously use them. There won't be any in-game or out of game maps. And there are no "REVEAL" items, and no indicator of any secrets :twisted:

PS: Most of the willow trees will be exclusively around the castle's outside areas (probably not in the final courtyard area) ...with just a few around the starting area. Another thing I'm planning on doing, is making most of the NPCs first words to you happen automatically when approached. Because it just seems unnatural to initiate a conversation where you never say anything :P

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 08:32:06 pm »
Every time you post about your game it makes me think of things I want to add to mine :P
Site Founder

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 10:26:47 pm »
Just to follow up with an idea...

I'm not sure how SoM works out to draw the objects or not. I wonder if the collision model for the tree extended out to the edge of the canopy, if it would still disappear while still in view.

PS: I did have to rework the map pieces a little in this area, after I first noticed a large seam which you can just make out in the screenshot near the bottom corner of the gate. I'm not as crazy about the new layout, and it basically makes walking up on the second tier impossible (whereas before it probably was) but, at least it's seamless :wink:

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 10:02:14 am »
In front of the castle chapel, part of a new map...

edited: I think I need to perch some purely decorative gremlins about the exterior for a little atmosphere :twisted: