Author Topic: kings-field.com broken  (Read 4736 times)

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
kings-field.com broken
« on: May 09, 2014, 08:34:03 pm »
Ok guys, I have a moral question for you... Martin, our old friend (DarchAngelX on the boards) apparently does not respond to emails anymore as I have tried to reach him for months about the condition of his website.  Kings-field.com has been hacked...for months and is now a dangerous website with phishing ads etc all over the place on it...this is no fitting way to host one of my favorite sites on the web.

So my question is...I was contemplating recreating all the pages on som.com/kings-field sub links on this domain.  It wouldnt be that hard, copying his html, grabbing all the images (while they are still available) and updating the urls wouldn't take me more than a few days effort. The question is, is that bad form, would people mind?

Obviously if you want to harm your computer you could still go to kings-field.com and browse there, but I would think people would prefer an ad free experience.  I do my best to keep this domain safe to users and will never stick ads or anything stupid like that on it.

If you guys are behind me, I will recreate the pages here in a safe environment - or I could update the content to conform to the pages of the main site...its really up to the fans of the series how it should be done.  But I definitely want to save this holy grail of information before it disappears forever.

Let me know what you think please!
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
Re: kings-field.com broken
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 09:02:30 pm »
For now you might as well keep the site saved and maybe upload it here. I think he would appreciate someone saving the work put into that site actually. If he ever gets back to you, he can always request to have it taken down.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:36:10 am by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 09:17:54 pm »
It's 100% morally ok in my opinion.
The only way it would be bad is if Martin asked you to take it down and you refused, but I don't think that will happen. I think I remember hearing  Martin inherited KF.com from someone else and I expect he would be happy to pass the torch onto someone else. The info on KF.com is invaluable and it would be a shame if it disappeared.

Offline Auric

• A.K.A. Scott
  • Mace Masher
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 03:26:15 am »
I see no harm in it. It's pretty clear that a lot of hard work was put into the site. It seems that all you want to do is preserve all that hard work and information before it withers away completely.

Go for it. The worst that'll happen is being asked to take it down. It really would be a shame to see the site die off.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 06:45:55 am »
I am all for it and I think that its very good of you to even consider it. When martin comes back he may not want the pages taken down from som.com, so go for it...  I think you are about to save one of the best :king:'s field resources on the web.

Offline TheStolenBattenberg

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 06:07:08 am »
If you wanted to create the content yourself, I have a image scanner I can use and I'm more than happy to draw out maps since sketching is a hobby of mine. He never finished most of the games either, so this could be a very nice idea! + King's Field Japan section is broken... :(
Ashes to ashes, Dust to dust...
Honor to glory; And iron to rust.
Hate to bloodshed, From rise to fall.
If I never have to die; Am I alive at all?

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 10:25:30 am »
I may take you up on that offer, for whatever reason King's Field 2 was never added to the site - how on earth Martin didn't care for it much is beyond me lol!

Let me get to work preserving what is there, and we can talk revamping later on.  Thanks all!
Site Founder

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 11:23:59 am »
So Ive started...and have the main page done -
http://swordofmoonlight.com/kings-field/

please note I have not updated the links on the buttons yet, so they still take you to the old and vulnerable site.  I am pleased to say that the main page looks spot on - and is ad free, its unreal how many ad bombs were nested in the html but I hope I got them all out.  For now please don't go clicking around until I give an all clear, I wouldnt want anyone getting a virus...but I will post updates to the progress here.
Site Founder

Offline TheStolenBattenberg

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 01:33:33 pm »
Main page looks awesome and ad free, a pleasant viewing! :P

Heh, I'll find my sketch pad then. I've got a set of maps for KF2 somewhere which I was gonna scan them for MasterTaffer and his 'Return to Melanet' project. I haven't had the chance to do it yet though.

It would be better to re-do most of the maps since they'll be in the same style. From what I remember, KF-Japan was complete, but now some of the maps are missing due to AngleFire... Pitty.

KF 2 wasn't there, which is really odd. It's probably my favorite in the series. KF3 was there, but half the maps were not drawn, and scans from a book. KF4 was mostly done but stopped somewhere around the ocean palace.

Avast didn't show any treat warnings on this fix of it, and the last page was bombing me with them, so I think you must've gotten all of the adds.
Ashes to ashes, Dust to dust...
Honor to glory; And iron to rust.
Hate to bloodshed, From rise to fall.
If I never have to die; Am I alive at all?

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 03:11:33 pm »
It sure takes a lot of cleaning...look at this screen shot of just a static page about his art:

http://gyazo.com/408cb29d23a2b643e0b4562b6e2281f6

Note that firefox blocked a popup...as if there werent enough ads already  :1zhelp:
Site Founder