Author Topic: Return to Melanat - General Discussion  (Read 20203 times)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: Return to Melanat - General Discussion
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2014, 11:40:23 pm »
I think the game may be longer than 4 hours, especially if you aren't familiar with King's Field. I've just been exploring around casually and I'm well over 4 hours in. It's quite nice and I'm really impressed with how bug free it is!

I really like the money system too. I've had to manage my resources and try to save up for stuff I want. The magic seem swell balanced and useful also.

A couple things that maybe could be improved:
I don't think the truth mirror description will appear for the 'Mama-maneater'.  If I remember right the player has to be within 1m of the creature's center to trigger the description. If a creature's collision is too large, the player can't get close enough for it to work. Maybe you could put a regular ranged trigger event to display the description when the mirror is used near mama.

I feel like maybe creature's ATKs are too low. It was fairly early when I could take 2 hits from mama-maneater and still be alive. I had physical armor equipped with a total value of around 2 (ie not much armor),  but my strength was ~30 which effectively gives +6 to armor. It's possible I just did too much wandering around and 'power leveled', and I don't mean it's bad at all. I just mean my personal preference would be for enemies to pack a bit bigger punch.

Another personal preference, I would have liked more intro story and story development along the way. The character/truth mirror stuff is interesting and well done, I just thought something more fleshed out would help to pull the player into the adventure. Especially if the person playing isn't a Kings Field fan already.

Overall, my first impression hasn't changed. It's really well done -amazingly so for how quickly it was made, nicely balanced, excellent map layout and most important it's just plain fun!   

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2014, 12:05:31 pm »
This game is fantastic and I have already conveyed my thoughts on it to MT.

Anyway I am posting to ask hwtvlf a question... Sorry for hijacking your thread MT!

but my strength was ~30 which effectively gives +6 to armor

I noticed that this doesnt affect equipped armour, is it a 'general' armour rating? Or does it work as a damage reduction %?

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2014, 02:03:58 pm »
Every 5 points in strength/mag should give the player effectively +1 DEF and +1 ATK  damage and defense.
But, if there is a DEF stat of 0 in a given category, a special damage formula is substituted for that category.
The special formula is ATK=Damage.  25 ATK vs 0 DEF = 25 damage.
Maybe that's what  you're referring to?

Yes, sorry for hijacking! :badteeth:

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2014, 09:49:03 pm »
Loved the game myself, my only constructive criticism is more effective offense magic, or more areas to refill it through out the game.  I am a magic whore in KF (one of the reasons I originally found the ancient city lacking as I did not find the clarity bracelet on my first play through effectively negating magic use) and I prefer to blow away my enemies with magic/attack combos, especially when my weapons of choice (the ones that look the coolest) are slow to recharge.  With the enormous amount of enemies in the game, I ran out of magic all the time and wandered back to the fountain in the western shore until i unlocked the path to the eastern village.

Overall though, again, great job!
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2014, 10:46:55 pm »
I will be fixing the magic, I noticed a lot of the higher level spells do very little damage for what they cost.
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2014, 04:53:54 pm »
Has anybody made progress in Return to Melanat? Haven't gotten too much feedback since I released it.
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2014, 01:24:30 pm »
I don't know if you saw the feedback a few posts above. I could say more (it all boils down to 'I like it"), but I wasn't sure if you want to hear me blab on about my opinions.

My experience here in the past has been that feedback trickles in little by little over time. If you don't have a huge advertising campaign, it takes awhile for word of mouth to spread. I believe both Todd and Tom posted their games on Download.com which probably boosted their visibility. :beerchug:

Offline Kingsfieldyoutuber

• Dagger Carrier
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2014, 10:27:19 am »
I made a gameplay video of the game : http://youtu.be/JJOeDG6sFF0  :beerchug: