Author Topic: King's Field 20th Anniversary  (Read 8649 times)

Offline TheStolenBattenberg

• Capricorn Crusher
Re: King's Field 20th Anniversary
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 05:38:28 pm »
Photoshop is pretty good at squeezing all the colour it can into the palette, eh?.. :P

It really does need more work. I'm trying to find away I can edit the actual models that this stuff is made of, which is quiet easy to do in KFJ due to the simple file structures.

I'd of been working on implementing that into the new Alternate Image Viewer thing, but I haven't felt very creative with designing a user interface...
Ashes to ashes, Dust to dust...
Honor to glory; And iron to rust.
Hate to bloodshed, From rise to fall.
If I never have to die; Am I alive at all?

Offline TheStolenBattenberg

• Capricorn Crusher
Re: King's Field 20th Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2015, 02:09:04 pm »
Heyhey, it's been a while. This project sorta dropped off the radar didn't it? I've still been working on it though, I've just had some complications, and stopped for a little while.

FIRST, Updates:
- I've been working on cracking the format KFJ uses for it's levels, this means that I can edit the texture coordinates on the models, letting me use different textures. For example, the corridor in the intro and outro sequences uses a weird tile texture on the walls, but I think it'd look better with bricks.

That area has way too much slowdown for my liking, so I'd also like to change the amount of times the textures tile.

As it happens, the format is essentially one giant list of TMD files, with multiple objects, and a 32bit int at the start, telling where the next file is starts.

Aside from editing texture coordinates, it also means I can fix/edit model geometry and normals. I always thought the pillers holding the crystals up in the intro looked a little shit, myself. I might also be able to change what texture each model uses. At the moment, it uses 256x textures, maybe I can reduce that to 128, and make them all 8BPP. Would be intresting, no?

- I replaced the first loading screen with something a little nicer, feels weird to brand a game with a company other than my own... :P

You can see some images of the progress below:
Ashes to ashes, Dust to dust...
Honor to glory; And iron to rust.
Hate to bloodshed, From rise to fall.
If I never have to die; Am I alive at all?