Author Topic: Cant get 'getting hit' sound effects to work on customs  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Cant get 'getting hit' sound effects to work on customs
« on: March 23, 2014, 05:28:29 pm »
Okay I have a large problem with this, no matter how hard I try to setup getting hit sound effects to work on my custom enemies, I cant.

So I tried...

Creating an original .prf with a custom sound effect

Creating an original .prf with an existing sound effect

Using a custom model in an existing profile (ant)

All failed.

I later tried the ant on its own and it made the sound effects when I hit it. It doesnt make sense. Can someone help?

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: Cant get 'getting hit' sound effects to work on customs
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 10:42:19 pm »
Ben, I would try troubleshooting it on a more basic level, can you assign your custom sound effect to every possible sound generated by he custom model? What I am getting at is maybe there are issues with the custom model file and its correlation with the. prf, such as incorrect animation triggers etc, since I don't know how the new compiler works. 

I do know that my one and only custom enemy used different sounds just fine, so its gotta be a basic problem we should be able to figure out.  I would assign your custom sound to every animation possible in the prf, so if its walking, idling, dying, getting hit, attacking and so on it continues to try that custom sound.  If it works with some and not other animations, then I would assume there is an error in the model file calling for the information in the prf.

Does that make sense...am I crazy in my thinking?
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 01:00:47 am »
That makes sense to me!

As far as can tell, the possibilities are:
Bad .SND file
Bad PRF file
Bad "getting hit" animation
Quirk in your PC's system

I would just try to eliminate those possibilities one at a time. If you'd like to send me the SND and PRF, I can check them out. Hope there's not a bug in the PRF editor :badteeth:

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 05:30:42 pm »
Thanks guys  :smile:

I have tried what you good fellas suggested, but to no avail. Sadly I think there is a compatability issue with my PC and the .prf editor, as I also cannot preview the .snd files. I will send you the files, John.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 02:21:45 pm »
I might have found a quirk in the PRF Editor that would explain why sounds won't play for you.

When you open a file to read or write data, you can use 'binary' or 'text' mode- meaning they are optimized for text or binary.  The PRF files have both text and binary data so in some places I may have opened a file in 'text' mode and converted data to binary as needed. That usually wouldn't be a problem.

But, I found that on systems which use Unicode or other 2-byte per letter text encodings the text < > binary conversion routine can get produce unwanted effects.

Since you're one of those crazy overseas fereigner types, I expect your PC uses unicode? (I'll bet you even think that wacky metric system is better than the 'bout yay big' system we use here in the USA  :biggrin:) The sound preview creates a temporary wav file and plays that. It's possible that SND and WAV files are not being produced properly on your PC.  Did you ever send me the files?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 02:38:57 pm by HwitVlf »