Author Topic: Alternate Image Viewer - Current Version 0.5_D  (Read 13155 times)

Offline TheStolenBattenberg

• Capricorn Crusher
Re: Alternate Image Viewer - Current Version 0.2_D
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 11:42:57 am »
Hmm... I'll look into it. You're supposed to be able to import them, yes.

Edit: Did viewing FSTim images work with the release build? It is working here (see picture) So I'm not sure what's wrong... Does viewing any image work?

About to .PNG, the tool converts pretty much every single format to .TGA, and it can convert that to all of the formats with a 'Y' in the write section of the supported image formats list... Not sure why you'd want to, but you could make FSTim into .HDR :P
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 12:05:21 pm by TheStolenBattenberg »
Ashes to ashes, Dust to dust...
Honor to glory; And iron to rust.
Hate to bloodshed, From rise to fall.
If I never have to die; Am I alive at all?

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 04:08:24 pm »
Sorry for the slow reply. I've been helping a friend cut and split dead trees into firewood for the past few days. :chainsaw:

The image preview does display in the release build, but I tested the development version on two PCs and there was no preview. The scanning and conversion worked nicely though   :wink:

I forget if it's been mentioned, but does AIV support converting images en masse (batch)?

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 04:16:25 pm »
Mm-hm, the second option 'Convert external images' will convert an entire directory of images into a different format.

It can only handle one type at a time though.

Example -- If I had a folder with TGA and  JPG, and choose JPG as the input format and png as output format, it would only convert the JPGs in the folder to .png.

It's weird that the display doesn't work... My guess is because I stopped using a complied version of image magick, and changed to separate, with external dll... I'll swap back to the old way, since it doesn't take that long.

It's fine about the reply time, it gives me more time to fix bugs and work on txr... :P
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:18:20 pm by TheStolenBattenberg »

• Capricorn Crusher
Re: Alternate Image Viewer - Current Version 0.2_R
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 04:32:54 pm »
0.2 Release version is now done, hopefully opening and previews etc will work again now. This one has lots of grammar and spelling fixes in the GUI, filter effects are now all working... I also removed some of the useless ones, and added better organizing... The edit menu now has stuff in it... That's some of the obvious stuff. Enjoy. (Download link in top post, replace 0.1 release)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 06:21:21 pm »
Very neat, thank you! I'll try the new version.

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 10:48:29 am »
Hey, did you get the chance to download it, test it etc? If so did you find any bugs, did it display previews etc?

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 05:43:08 pm »
Yes, it did work fine with preview and all.  I was thinking that Echo Night might be a candidate for FSTIMs too, but I haven't gotten a chance to check yet. I think the armored Core games used a unique texture format that didn't have a palette because the AC games let you customize the color on your 'core' so the palette wasn't a built in part of the image.

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 10:17:51 am »
I'll take a look at Echo Night later, since I need to adjust the script anyway. It turns out From Soft edited the header slightly for different games... Rather than have separate formats (KF-Tim, ST-Tim, EN-Tim and AC-Tim etc) I'm gonna make a GUI in which you can select which game your ripping from... It's really weird that they changed it. The only ST file that managed to get something, was 'ICON.T' or something like that, and even then it was just 0 byte files...

The FSTim ripping is very experimental at the moment, I need to do much more work on polishing it up, including support for more BPP, right up to True Color... I've been thinking about making a utility to view .T archives at one point, so I can learn more about them -- kinda like 7ZIP. That is if they're archives anyway, FS might've just used them as dumps...

I'm also gonna do some more work on TXR, sorry for the low support in the last version but I was still trying to work out how I could 'flip' the data around, since BMP has to be so damn annoying...

On another, slightly related note -- I've been practicing my C++, although I don't plan on porting the entire program into that, I put together a .DLL that'll allow me to make the ripping process of KFTim at least 4 times quicker! If there is any other GM users who one day see this, I'll make that .DLL available to you if you'd like, with a documented API.

Edit: My skim through echo night turned back no results, I couldn't find any normal Tims or anything which looked like it may be an image file.

Inside 'Green.bin' there was a a bunch of files (around 10 or so) with the tag '40 01 81 01' though, not sure if that's anything of significance...

I did notice that 'Reserved.ED5' is a very useless file though, all it seems to have is just 'Copyright (c) From Software 1998...' There's also a section of the file where there's text, I guess they didn't use image files to store what NCP say in this game huh?.. I've not actually played it yet so.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 01:50:57 pm by TheStolenBattenberg »

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 03:45:15 pm »
I'll be re-writing the program over the next week to increase speed, since I don't have a hard drive with anything else on it. Lucky I kept this in my development folder...

It'll be a lot more compatible, but it will be a while until it's got as many functions as it did before.

Here's some upsides and downsides which'll be put in the top post when it's done.
- Speed; I'm gonna improve the entire thing, and it will be using compiled source, which means it'll run a lot faster. I haven't tried it yet but I'm expecting import, export and seek times to be quartered into sixteenths.

- Efficiently and compatibility; Before it was 'wrapping' a command line tool to do image loading/converting, but now I'm going to use a fully custom plugin based system, all of it will be pure C++, called from inside DLL by the API.

---

This is to become the standard from now on, and it'll be used for any versions after 0.3.

Also, I've been able to figure out the other From Software formats, I know Shadow Tower has a few FSTim, but my tool just doesn't get them. Maybe that'll change during the re-write.

• Capricorn Crusher
Re: Alternate Image Viewer - Current Version 0.5_D
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 10:19:08 pm »
After a good five hours, I've cracked the ENTim... Kinda...

I have a piece of image data, and I'm slowly starting to understand how they did it.

I thought at first it was compressed, so I got Nana, something which lets you view raw data as a graphic, and found two images. 'YOU LOST...' and 'YOU WON!!'... They're right at the end of BLUE.Bin.

They both appear to be 16BPP, there's two bytes for each pixel. Though, I'm not sure on that because From Soft were being nice, and separated the CLUTs from the actual image data, this'll mean it's a pain in the ass to put together in a BMP, because I'll have to devise a way to find the connected CLUT.

The image data also has a 8 BYTE header, it appears to be written in SHORT. Looking at it, it appers to be a modified TIM again.

My current thinking is that this format has multiple images under one palette, as there is what appears to be a palette above both of the images in the data, though I'll have to check tomorrow.

That's me done for the day, between working on my own games, SoM 2.0, From Software game cracking and THIS project, I'm tired. When I've figured out ENTim enough for a prototype, Alternate Image Viewer 0.5_D will FINALLY be released.

PS: Image files are stored in BLUE.BIN, for anyone else who wants to try.

EDIT:
I got this image by taking the raw pixel data and applying a simple black - white gradient palette. The images are actually 8BPP. Now to figure out the palettes...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 10:37:28 pm by TheStolenBattenberg »