Author Topic: A game I've been developing  (Read 1729 times)

Offline TheStolenBattenberg

• Capricorn Crusher
A game I've been developing
« on: November 02, 2013, 05:32:03 pm »
I didn't use SoM unfortunately... It won't run on my computer, since I'm using 64-bit windows 7...

I thought I might as well post a screenshot here, since I'd like to get some 'first impressions' although you can't really get much from a screenshot... Here... Some might notice the sky texture, from King's Field 2... It's temporary while I'm doing the programming.

A bit about the game; It's a 2D RPG/Platformer, with turn based combat, magic and all that good stuff... It has a free roam world, you can wonder around rather than do quests all the time... I scripted it all in Game Maker 8, using a few .DLLs like FMOD to enhance the sound capabilities...

I'm doing a graphics overhaul at the moment, to use less different styles, so it's all a little messy at the moment... I'm gonna use 3d-rendered graphics for most things though...

Funny story, this game was originally going to be my first SoM game... But because of the computer issues... yeah...
Ashes to ashes, Dust to dust...
Honor to glory; And iron to rust.
Hate to bloodshed, From rise to fall.
If I never have to die; Am I alive at all?

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
Re: A game I've been developing
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 11:41:00 pm »
Nice, looking good. Is it going to be like a metroidvania game? Because that would be interesting.

I have Windows 7 64 bit and SOM works just fine on my computer, did you try messing with the compatibility settings?
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 08:50:46 am »
Did try that... It's the accelerated graphics thing, I can't turn it off... And it causes SoM to not display the previews... It also crashes when I try and change the map piece.

I do have a laptop with Windows XP, but that won't run the English patch for some reason. It just doesn't recognize that SoM is installed.

I've not actually heard of the term "metroidvania", but yeah it sums the idea up pretty well.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 09:19:04 am »
Very cool, super metroid and castlevania symphony of the night are two of my favorite games....in fact I am in the process of trying to put one together using Unity right now.

I would love to play this when it gets completed...keep up the good work!

And if you become interested in SOM, I am sure we can find a way to get it to work for you!
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 12:02:58 pm »
I have been interested in SoM, I had plans for creating a King's Field like game, but I couldn't get SoM to work on any of my modern systems... I used to have a laptop back in 2007 or something that could run SoM, Windows XP... Good old thing, but it broke on me, and it was the main board so I couldn't fix it...

I do have a desktop computer in the attic which runs SoM, but I need to reformat the HDDs and install some more ram, and it has been up there for a good 5 or so years because the power supply blew up on me...

I might start my next project in SoM if i can find a way to get it to work on my current computer, or get that old desktop set up.

The system I'm using right now, probably the best one I've got does run SoM, but it crashes constantly and I can't view map-pieces, if I test run a map and then try to change the map-piece it crashes...

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 09:11:51 pm »
The screen looks quite interesting. I like the mood of the crouched poses and night time settings.  I've never much enjoyed pure plat formers, but the combination with RPG and turns based sounds quite intriguing to me.

Offline Smittiox

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 04:25:10 am »
figured I'd chime in. Metroid and Castlevania games were the first to come to mind too. Any floating cheerio monsters in it ?  :tongue: