Author Topic: Helpul SoM controls  (Read 3721 times)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Helpul SoM controls
« on: October 24, 2013, 04:50:22 am »
These are some SoM controls which might be helpful.  I'm not sure if they're listed elsewhere so I thought I start a collection.
If anyone knows other less obvious controls, please post and I'll add them.

On the map assembly grid:
Shift + LMB = select an area of pieces
+/-  = raise/lower selected Piece's elevation
Ctrl + LMB (Twice) on a placed Map Piece  = Go to that Piece on the Piece list and copy its elevation when placing other Pieces
Ctrl + Left/Right Arrow = jump to left/right side of map window
Page Up/Down  =  Jump to top bottom of map window

On any 3D preview window:
LMB = Rotate model
RMB = Move model sideways
LMB+RMB = Zoom in /out

In Parameter Editor:
With "Registry List" slot selected, press 0, 1, 2 etc = jump to item #000, #100, #200 etc (Pressing again goes forward 1 item)

In the PrtsEdit tool:
CTRL + (letter) when selecting piece data  = jump to files starting with that letter. Doesn't work for "H".

On various text lists such as Item/Object dropdowns and Event command lists, you can push a letter key on the keyboard to jump to the items that start with that letter. For example, you can press "w" in the item dropdown to jump to "weapon" or "b" to go to "Begin Screen Effect" in the event command list. Pushing the same letter again will cycle through entries that start with that letter.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 07:58:23 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
Re: Helpul SoM controls
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 05:55:34 pm »
Didn't know that you could multi-select pieces. I also see that you can copy and paste selections, do you know if there is a way to rotate them too?

Thanks for this, helped me lots!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 11:44:33 pm by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 08:50:12 pm »
There is no default way to rotate selections but the unofficial tool called Pumpkin Paster (in the tool section here) lets you rotate selections and do quite a few other advanced edits.  People seem to have been a little confused about how to set the tool up, but it can save a lot of time when building some types of maps.

I just realized that when you Ctrl+LMB on a placed tile, it not only selects that tile Piece in the list, it also copies the elevation and rotation of the Piece you clicked on.  Quite helpful for building N,S, and E room walls without having to rotate every tile separately.

Offline Smittiox

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 05:43:34 am »
Kind of found CTRL+LMB elevation copy by accident myself. really comes in handy. I'll get Pumkin Paste to work sooner or later. think it was the old laptop I was using months ago, I dunno. I'll get it figured out eventually lol.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 02:47:01 pm »
New one : Jump 29 pieces left / right

Ctrl+Left/right arrow keys

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 04:08:39 pm »
Cool. it looks like Ctrl+ arrow jumps to the edge of the visible map. I use the widescreen editor so it jumps 55 Pieces for me. Apparently PageUp/Down does the same for (who would have guessed) up and down. Added this to the top list.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 03:26:29 pm »
In the change player parameter, when choosing an item and pressing a digit, SoM will skip to that hundreth so if you press 1, you'll jump to 100, after that pressing 1 will yield 101,102 etc
You must have "item name" selected for it to work

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 03:18:24 pm »
Neat! Added it to the top post. It even works with 0.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 07:58:27 am »
Quick input here

Ctrl + LMB on a placed Map Piece  = Go to that Piece on the Piece list and copy its elevation when placing other Pieces

To be certain that you get the elevation data, you need to click twice. Clicking once selects the piece and brings it up in the map piece viewer, clicking it again will register the elevation.

More controls:

When selecting piece data (msm, mhm) and icon data in the Prtsedit tool, press ctrl+(letter) to jump to files starting with that letter. This doesnt work with the letter H though.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 08:00:38 am by Verdite »

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 08:00:27 pm »
Added them!
These should make it significantly easier when I get started.   :beerchug: