Author Topic: Shadow Tower SOM - General Discussion  (Read 44008 times)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: Possible Shadow Tower Remake
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2013, 07:30:33 pm »
Ahh the memories!

Ok. a new Y angle fix is attached that will hopefully stop the instant death thing. Sorry for the continued problems :sadani: I've combined the 2 Pieces from the first "fix" into a single Piece (#1000) with a new icon. Note that the elevations for each Y Piece is 15m below it's destination room.

As to why that was happening, in SoM if the player drops further than  -10m below the current map Piece's "ground zero level", it triggers the "falling to :dazed:" sequence. Sine the passages on this ST set are stacked and the lower passage is more than 10m below the upper, it was triggering death when you walked under the upper.  To stop this, I moved the "ground zero level" for the Y Piece very low; now, even when you walk through the lower passage, you are well above the "fall to death line". . . hopefully  :drool:

Also attached is the Y Piece's MQO (metasequoia) model if anyone needs it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 07:32:46 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2013, 11:48:20 pm »
Tested out the new piece and it works well, thanks. I appreciate your help :smile:.

In return, I'll show off some maps from the Human World that I've been working on. Let me know what you think:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 06:48:14 pm by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2013, 08:51:35 am »
I was wondering about that spider, wasn't sure if hanging enemies were even possible in the engine.

It is definately possible. Ill need to do some measuring for the cavern roof but other than that it should be simple enough to recreate.

As requested and, thanks for the screenshots; the shop stone and warp stone.

BTW those maps look great! Im looking forward to making the acid skull enemy for the prison.

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2013, 03:27:04 pm »
@Verdite
Here's a file that includes the four remade Human World maps along with some reference images. The editor didn't have much to work with, so if you'd like, go ahead and make up all new tiles and I'll replace them in the editor later. Also, no need to worry about objects as they can always be added in later, however, we'll probably need some secret doors that use the new textures, and if possible, they'd need to be small enough to fit the more narrow 1x1 doorways. I'll be mapping out the Earth World while you're doing that, so take your time. :smile:

http://www.mediafire.com/?vj7edmnkiadbne7

Thanks for the warp and shop stones by the way. They look great!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 03:51:31 pm by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2013, 05:42:50 pm »
There is a narrow door in the default set (Door Left Right 1 Stone). It can probably be re-textured for hidden doors rather than making a door from scratch.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2013, 12:06:51 pm »
That file you uploaded was super helpful. I intend to start work on it soon, but before I do I really need to ask a question!

Firstly, by looking at the walls in the Solitary region, it looks like the texture is just a 'repeated' 64x64 brick texture. It doesnt link into other bricks, and has a somewhat un-natural feel to it. If you prefer I could create the tiles texture EXACTLY like in ST, or I could have it take on a more natural building form of bricks linking into each other. Im okay doing it the ST way.

The relief sections are quite detailed especially the figures on the roof section, recreating them in high res would take time if I done it right.

What pieces do you not mind losing? Ill have to overwrite certain map piece parts. This will affect future users of the ST sets too. No pressure  :cool:

Heres your first ST shield. Done a speed method on it and it only took me an hour to model and texture. Yup I drew everything as usual.

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2013, 03:42:39 pm »
Feel free to do whatever you'd like to with the textures, they don't have to be exactly like in the original game. Also, the outdoor tiles and yellow sets would be good to overwrite because I don't think we'll be using them at all.

Very nice shield too. I was wondering, what program(s) do you use to make these models? I've dabbled in 3D modeling before and might be able to help create some items.
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2013, 05:46:13 pm »
Ive been using Metasequoia for a long time, im also proficient in Blender 2.49b (thats a specific number because its interface keeps changing  :movingeyes:) ive used Wings3d, Milkshape, and ive been using GIMP for texturing for over 3 years. I also use xnormal for texture baking. Before that I used paint for simple things like cutting and pasting screenshots etc.

Well im pleased you are happy with variable changes in textures - getting them prescise can be a pain. Im going to be busy this week but ill keep chipping away  :wink:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:39:53 pm by Verdite »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2013, 07:00:48 pm »
Morningstar  :smile:

I was playing the game tonight and forgot that the morningstar was among the arsenal!  :order:

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2013, 05:06:53 pm »
Morningstar! :eek:

Looks great. When I tried it out though, the weapon wasn't showing up in the attack animation.

I'm currently trying out Diadem of Maunstraut and Dark Destiny at the moment just to see what others have done with the engine, and am slowly piecing together the first couple of maps from the Earth World. It's the largest region in the entire game so it'll probably take the longest to complete. :drool:
🎮 Indie RPG developer.