Author Topic: Shadow Tower SOM - General Discussion  (Read 44047 times)

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
Re: Possible Shadow Tower Remake
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 05:24:09 pm »
This should help you Verdite; I preconfigured an EPSXE emulator to work with Shadow Tower, the sound is somewhat buggy, but the game runs pretty smoothly. You may need to change the video plugin though if you aren't using integrated graphics. Here's a download link with the rom included: http://www.mediafire.com/download/x4oinj08i41ii4d/PSX.rar

Very nice models too, I'll add them to the collection. :smile:
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2013, 11:18:33 pm »
I ran into a slight problem, the engine seems to not like depth :smash2:. Events register no matter how high or low you are, so it'd be impossible to place two transfer events on the same tile at different depths and have them both work. Do you know if there is a way around this?
This elevation quirk also applies to chests and other built in events so bi-level designs have some restrictions. Were you trying to place warp events on the tower's east side where the doors are on top of each other? If so, I made a a couple simplified pieces to make the East passages bank to the right and left. It is 2 new Pieces that overwrite Piece 989 and 990.

Some nice looking stuff in this thread that is coming together for the remake. Looking forward to it!

EDIT: Attachment removed for newer version in later post.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 07:07:11 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2013, 12:45:17 am »
That's a good idea HwitVlf, thanks for the fix. Do you think you could do something like this for the north and south ends? They seem to have this problem too.
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2013, 04:25:34 am »
The 2 new Pieces should work for  North, South and East. Their elevation is just pre-set for East. I even think the 2 Pieces can be used interchangeably by adjusting the elevation/rotation as needed. I just made 2 Pieces instead of 1 as a visual aid to help remind which passage is the lower (darker icon is lower room).  Attached is an example with the elevations needed (hopefully I got it right  :tongue: ) Pieces are at 0 elevation unless otherwise stated.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 04:57:43 am by HwitVlf »

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2013, 11:30:56 am »
Ah, I get it now, did it like that and it works. However, I encountered another instant-death collision problem in the corners of the darker green piece.

I made up some images to show exactly where it's happening.

Bottom floor, south end:

Middle floor, north end:

Strangely enough though, the same piece on the east end doesn't seem to have this problem, so it might have something to do with the elevation changes.
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2013, 12:42:05 pm »
This should help you Verdite; I preconfigured an EPSXE emulator to work with Shadow Tower

Really appreciate that! My main machine has a serious fault recently and often crashes when running any game .exe file.

Anyway I managed to make you some quilted armour today.

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2013, 02:23:14 pm »
Anyway I managed to make you some quilted armour today.

Nice armor Verdite, I like the textures you used. I was wondering though if you could make that and the shadow blade a little smaller, because I noticed that they barely fit the preview window in the equip menu.

I'm almost done mapping out the human world by the way, all I need to do now is finish up the forgotten region, which shouldn't take long. I'll send it to you via PM when I'm done,  likely today or tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 11:34:39 pm by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2013, 05:44:45 pm »
Thanks, I actually draw everything I use for models, and very rarely use anything from photos. To keep my style consistent.  :smile:
Body meshes take a good amount of time to make, they are surprisingly complicated compared to helms, boots, gloves etc. Took me a good 3 hours to finish.

I didnt know that the items would have been that big - I actually went off the helmet size and scaled the armour based on that. Anyway I done some testing and got the sword and the armour to their SOM sizes.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2013, 05:53:07 pm »
The forgotten realm should be easy enough - the SOM cave sets should prove adequate for recreating the environs.
Well you need an enemy for each area :) so... Ill make the shadow spider. Im not sure how the 'gas' will work but ill see.

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2013, 06:16:32 pm »
Thanks for the fix, yeah, it'd be a good idea to use the default items as reference for sizing.

I was wondering about that spider, wasn't sure if hanging enemies were even possible in the engine. About the gas, you could make them spit that gassy green projectile like the engine's plant enemies can. Remember that we're not making an exact remake of the game, so feel free to change what you need to to fit the engine's limitations.

There were actually a couple of objects I did need for when you get the time, which are the warp and shop stones. You could probably use the save stone you made as a base, the writing is the same, all that really needs to be changed is the top image and gem.

I took a couple of ingame screenshots for reference:

Shop stone

Warp Stone
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 06:37:47 pm by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.