Author Topic: Shadow Tower SOM - General Discussion  (Read 44022 times)

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
Re: Possible Shadow Tower Remake
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 08:12:19 pm »
Thanks, I assembled the map according to the example and was able to load and play it successfully, the only problem is that the textures seem to be missing, any idea on how to fix that?

Edit: There also seems to be a problem with piece 36 on the bottom of the map, walking on it kills you instantly for some reason. :dazed:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:53:18 pm by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 11:59:15 am »
I decided to make you a ST enemy from scratch - model, texture and animation. Should help you get started!

Youve made a game - so this is a token of my appreciation.

The ST spider has its usual jumping attack, along with a new evade function. You can leave out the high resolution texture if you want.

(Hwtvlf feel free to add it to the addons section  :wink:)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:00:59 pm by Verdite »

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 12:11:10 pm »
Very cool stuff, thanks for this, I'll be sure to use it and credit you. :smile:

Edit: Tested it out and it works, I like it, especially with the jumping animation. Do you know which tool I would use to add sound effects though? I figure I could add the sounds from the engine's own default spiders.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:22:43 pm by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 05:44:42 pm »
No problem. I fixed up a sound file for you, and you should test the evade animation some time  :smile: its quite fun.

Just replace the existing file with this one  :smile:

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 06:08:58 pm »
That fixed it :smile:.

I recreated the first area of the game, the Solitary Region, and placed a couple of the spiders in their usual place. Took a screenshot of me fighting them :biggrin:.

Quick question though, when the spiders evade attacks do they still take damage?
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 06:28:30 pm »
Thanks, I assembled the map according to the example and was able to load and play it successfully, the only problem is that the textures seem to be missing, any idea on how to fix that?

Edit: There also seems to be a problem with piece 36 on the bottom of the map, walking on it kills you instantly for some reason. :dazed:
The textures were my bad- forgot to include them. The death thing was being caused by a mis-made collision file (you fall through the floor and die). I'm not sure if the set's creator (guy named ainsuph) made a mistake or what, but I remade the collision for that Piece so it should be fixed (hopefully). The fix is included in the attached along with the textures.

It looked like there were "fall through floor" issues with some other Pieces too (L shapes etc), but I'm not sure if they are even needed. So, if you need something fixed for other Pieces in this set, just let us know.

Very cool Spider Ben!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 06:30:47 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 07:46:00 pm »
Tried out the new set again and it looks/plays great, I think it looks better than the original :biggrin:. Thanks for the help though, I'll be sure to credit both you and Verdite.

Edit: I ran into a slight problem, the engine seems to not like depth :smash2:. Events register no matter how high or low you are, so it'd be impossible to place two transfer events on the same tile at different depths and have them both work. Do you know if there is a way around this?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 09:11:30 pm by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 08:30:16 pm »
If you hit the monster at the start of its animation sequence then yes, it'l take damage - and you'l see it wince, but if its flying through the air it wont.

I would happily make some different spiders for you - maybe different coloured ones for later levels, say with black bodies. I can also create new attacks of any form so if you come up with an idea let me know!

Anyway it looks like you need a new sword to beat the spiders I made. So I made a sword for you.

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 08:43:49 pm »
Thanks, I'm only working on the mapping for now so not too worried about enemies or items just yet, that sword looks cool though I'll have to try it out. :biggrin:
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Offline TheStolenBattenberg

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 07:52:56 am »
I just remembered, didn't SomEx have a feature for "STmode" or something like that? I remember reading about it ages ago, before I joined the forums... If so you could take advantage of that.
Ashes to ashes, Dust to dust...
Honor to glory; And iron to rust.
Hate to bloodshed, From rise to fall.
If I never have to die; Am I alive at all?