Author Topic: Shadow Tower SOM - General Discussion  (Read 44021 times)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: Shadow Tower Remake
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2013, 06:58:50 pm »
That's the first time I've seen the spider in action. Authentic Shadow Tower HD feel!

EDIT: Talking about getting burnt out- among practicing writers it's acknowledged that the creative process can be surprisingly draining. Most pro-writers do not write more than 3-6 hours a day because the focus it requires is so taxing that working longer would end up having a negative effect on their art. I'm sure the same applies to 3D art so I wouldn't feel bad if you ever feel burnt out. Learning to pace yourself is a natural part of the development process.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 09:04:45 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2013, 09:55:11 pm »
The Hidden Region is turning out nicely! I know what you mean by burnt out, nothing wrong with a little break. :coffee:

Haven't posted much here lately, so here's what the base for the Rotting Cavern looks like.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 10:14:02 pm by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2013, 02:27:40 pm »
So I done a ton of work on this today, about 4-5 hours worth of non stop work. Hidden set is complete, the tunnels are actually quite complicated to make.

Youtube clip 2

Offline TheStolenBattenberg

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2013, 05:10:46 pm »
Wow Verdite, your work on those map piece sets really looks amazing, do you draw all the textures for them by hand or create them from photo sources?
Ashes to ashes, Dust to dust...
Honor to glory; And iron to rust.
Hate to bloodshed, From rise to fall.
If I never have to die; Am I alive at all?

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2013, 08:48:16 am »
Thanks for your recognition, actually every texture I use has been hand drawn by myself. When I first started modeling, I often looked for free textures etc. But there were too many times when I couldnt find what I wanted and had to settle for second best, so I decided to make the textures myself and havent looked back.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2013, 09:58:56 am »
You guys are unreal, I am very impressed so far!

(I do wonder why in the grand scheme of things shadow tower was the game of choice to remake, I woulda paid for a KF2 remake!)
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2013, 03:30:53 pm »
Maybe im not ready for making a full KF2 remake yet :) it would take alot of doing, and SomEx is still growing, maybe in the future more useful extensions will be available.

I think with the ST remake I will create maybe 1 or 2 monsters from each area, and do all the bosses. There are so many creatures in ST, it would take ages to replicate them all! Also because we dont have durability yet, it might be worth cutting the amount of weapons and armour down.

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2013, 04:16:40 pm »
I don't think SoM would work for a KFII remake... It's got so many things missing which would be really sad not to have in a remake, such as fall damage etc... also there's just something that was in the original King's Field games I can't seem to find in the SoM games... Funny enough, Dark Destiny and Diadem of Maunstraut are the ones that have felt the closest... There's just always something missing... That's only out of those two and the original king's field SoM remake by the way, I've not played any others yet.

I'd also pay for a KFII remake though... If a KFII remake is ever done by SoM members, I'm hoping your on that Verdite. You've done an amazing job (from the small segments I've seen) in capturing the atmosphere of Shadow Tower within textures and model recreation.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 04:18:11 pm by TheStolenBattenberg »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2013, 08:49:11 am »
Actually JDO figured out a way to include fall damage by using events, basically using a timer to start when the player stepped off a ledge, the timer was synched to run out when the player hit the floor, and damage occured.

Among hundreds of other plans Diver has for SomEx, built in fall damage is one of them. Diver included a simple gravity function for use with the jumping feature in SomEx, so its likely he will know how to measure fall damage from it.

Totally agree with you, DD gave me that feeling I felt when I started playing KF2, and the snow area is my personal fave.

Appreciate the comments on my work. It sometimes takes an artist with a good eye to see the effort thats been put in! While I try to be creative, I do enjoy replicating stuff, and its good practice. When you replicate a design that works well you pick up on its structure, which can be used as a framework to create something original. 

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2013, 10:11:23 am »
I thought Diver had left the forums... Every post he's made shows him as a guest... I know he has his own website, but he hasn't posted since October...