Author Topic: Shadow Tower SOM - General Discussion  (Read 44023 times)

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
Shadow Tower SOM - General Discussion
« on: October 19, 2013, 11:45:34 am »
Update: 2/15/2014

This project now has a news section and facebook page, all future progress updates will be posted on both.

Shadow Tower SOM - News: http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/bbs/index.php?topic=781.0

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shadow-Tower-SOM/209256152598347

Original Post:

While still debating what I'd like to do for my next SOM project, I am coming very close to the end of my first Shadow Tower playthrough and was pondering the thought of developing a lite remake of Shadow Tower using the SOM editor. It wouldn't be an exact replica, obviously, it would play more like King's Field and have slightly different weapons, items, and enemies. The maps seem like they'd be easy enough to recreate, all of them are indoors and Shadow Tower is built on a grid system just like in SOM, so it'd be like connecting dots (Kings-Field.com also has some convenient reference maps that would help with that). Just to clarify, I only intend to do this with the default resources that come with the program, as I am not skilled enough with textures or modeling at all.

Anyway, if you have any ideas or suggestions, please share them.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 06:33:38 am by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline Smittiox

• Bow Bearer
Re: Possible Shadow Tower Remake
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 03:42:02 pm »
Hey !

Sounds pretty cool man.  :smile: I just started messing around with all this stuff last december. (things kinda went on the back burner from march till now though. life happens lol) The folks here were super helpful to me and informative as far as modeling goes (and everything else) if you change your mind and decide to make custom stuff. ( Thanks everybody !!  :biggrin: )

Been working on a project myself based on an old C64 game called Realm of Impossibility. My brother just mentioned it at random when i was telling him about SOM a few months ago and it seemed like it would be a good beginners project to get the hang of things.

Anyhoo, good luck and have fun. lookin forward to playing your game later  :biggrin: 

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 04:05:20 pm »
That would be interesting. I've heard several people say that they didn't like the lack of music in Shadow Tower. I wonder what it would be like if the remake had a quality sound track.  Also, I always thought Shadow Tower's story was kind of vague; it might be cool to flesh out some of the lore and background for the tower.

Someone from Japan made a map Piece set to build the "outdoor hub" areas (not sure what to call them) like Shadow Tower has. I believe I still have a copy if you'd like me to post it.

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 04:39:14 pm »
I was planning on adding music, but I would either have to dig around online for fitting music or find somebody really generous to compose it for me.

Not sure what you mean by "outdoor hub" areas, are you talking about the sections inside of the actual tower? Also, I have no idea how to add custom content, still very new to the program.
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 09:59:28 pm »
Attached is a picture of the set. Installing customs that are already made is as easy as dropping the files in the SoM folder. They show up in the editors just like the default stuff. This Shadow Tower set is more complicated to assemble than most because it builds round mulit-level maps, but it's a neat effect.

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 11:48:28 pm »
Oh yes that would be perfect! If you could send it to me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Offline TheStolenBattenberg

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 10:13:54 am »
I'm no expert but I do know my way around creating king's field/shadow tower music... I might be able to put something together for you, free of charge, if you do a project like this.

I can make a sample of some music if you'd like... If you wanted some shadow tower like textures, if someone can convert the files to default SOM textures, I could probably put some HD remasters of shadow tower textures together for you too.
Ashes to ashes, Dust to dust...
Honor to glory; And iron to rust.
Hate to bloodshed, From rise to fall.
If I never have to die; Am I alive at all?

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 10:58:47 am »
That's very nice of you, just I think it would be a good idea to wait until I get most of the game finished. That way, you and me both can be sure that the music is put to good use and not wasted. If you'd like to make a sample for now though, that'd be awesome.

I'd like to at least make a playable "prototype" using the default textures. Then if it's necessary, I can always change them later. Thanks again for the offer though, I'll keep you in mind.
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Offline TheStolenBattenberg

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 01:01:57 pm »
It's quite okay, yeah I can make a sample since I do enjoy making music. Music never goes to waste since I'm always gaining experience from it.
Ashes to ashes, Dust to dust...
Honor to glory; And iron to rust.
Hate to bloodshed, From rise to fall.
If I never have to die; Am I alive at all?

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 06:48:22 pm »
Attached is the Shadow tower map Piece set.  This was made by a Japanese fellow but  I translated some of the names and included an example picture and MAP file. To install the set, drop the "DATA" folder (inside the attached zip) into your SoM install folder. The set is fairly complex and I'm not even sure how to utilize it fully, but we can try to help you figure out if you get stuck.

If you want to see an assembled example map, you can load the included MAP example: make a new project, put "00.map" in the project's "Data/map" folder.
 :beerchug:

EDIT: Attachment moved to later post

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 06:29:49 pm by HwitVlf »