Author Topic: Fall of Verdite [Full Game]  (Read 18217 times)

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
Fall of Verdite [Full Game]
« on: October 16, 2013, 03:55:54 pm »

Fall of Verdite

Introduction: This is a short sample game that I made to familiarize myself with the Sword of Moonlight editor. It is also a fan-game of the King's Field series and serves as a prequel to King's Field 3, but is not story focused. Please offer any constructive feedback, as I intend to use experience gained from this to make a more advanced Sword of Moonlight game in the future. Have Fun!

Download Link (37mb):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9hhn5hgg...+of+Verdite.rar

Version History
Version 1.0
-Game released.

Version 1.1
-Added custom title screen.
-Added lighting effects.
-Fixed a few minor bugs.

Gameplay Length
Short (1-3 hours)

Story/Setting
This game takes place in the Castle of Verdite from the end of King's Field 3, the areas you'll be exploring are structural recreations of the castle's three floors (as seen in King's Field 3). You play as Alexander (from King's Field 2) as he makes his way to the throne room on the second floor of the castle to confront his old friend, the possessed King Alfred.

Screenshots

Credits
-From Software, for developing the engine and it's resources, also for making King's Field.
-HwitVlf, for translating the SOM software.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 09:04:03 am by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Twitter: twitter.com/JC_Bailey1112

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: Fall of Verdite [Full Game]
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 04:06:07 pm »
Very cool!
I think it was a good idea to make a short complete game to get familiar with things. I'm downloading it now and will tell you what I think.
Congratulations and welcome to the site. :beerchug:

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 04:48:20 pm »
Wow, that was a really neat area from KF history to cover in a short game. It actually took me about two and a half hours to complete.  Here's some feedback:

Bottom line is I quite enjoyed it. Enemy power, turn rates etc seemed  balanced nicely. I was really impressed with map layout and the items I found while exploring were useful and well placed. Savepoint placement was good- far enough apart to make make you a little worried, but no so sparse that you lose tons of progress if you die. The end video made me miss KF2-it's been awhile since I've had time to play it. I liked the music and it suited the gamplay well.

As far as where there might be room for improvement.  I think that including an opening story sequence would have been nice and helped to set the mood.  A bug (maybe), the Verdite item was consumed, but there was no message "Magic Up" and it didn't seem to change my stat. The iron gloves seemed to be inferior to the leather gloves-maybe a typo? The spells could use descriptions; it was easy to figure out what they did by their names, but descriptions could add a little immersion. There were a couple times when I felt a little lost. It's amazing how easy it is to become disoriented when fighting enemies and then it's hard to reorient yourself without distinctive  landmarks like signs on the walls or unique object placements. Plus, wal-signs are an easy way to add some lore and immersion.

One other tip you might already know, items will be in the same order  in the player's inventory as they are on the list in the Parameter Editor. It's a good idea to put items that the payer will use often (keys) at the top of the list. You can leave empty spaces  between item classes (keys, healing,swords etc) in the Parameter editor so you'll have room to add more if you want to.

I though the map's ambient lighting was turned up a bit high (too bright). You probably know, but if you turn the ambient light down low, then set your Lamp objects to give off light, you can make some real neat mood lighting.

I enjoyed your game (me went on a Moonlight Sword rampage drooool  :biggrin: ) and I hope to see more creations from you.
Some of the regulars here seem to be on vacation right now so if you'd like feedback from a larger audience, you might try the forums at rpgrevolution.com. Since they cover more general game making engines, they tend to have a larger crowd.
 :rainbow:

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 05:04:52 pm »
Thanks for your feedback! I'm going to update the game using some of your suggestions. (Edit: Updated the game to version 1.1)

About the Verdite issue, in my game I made it restore MP because I wasn't able to figure out how to make it increase magic power, perhaps you know? Also, thanks for the lighting tip, I actually didn't know about that and will have to try it out.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 02:07:50 pm by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 03:30:23 am »
Posting anything related to the game making hobby is totally welcome here- that goes double for King's Field game projects.  I saw the screen shot before your edit and it looked awesome so I hope you do post info or a link.  Is it going to have turn based battles or live-action?

I'm going to try the 1.1 version to see how the lighting looks.

As far as how to make an event to boost MAG stat:
In the Parameter Editor, set the Verdite item to Usable=Able, and  Consume=Yes

You'll have to add this event to each map:
Event trigger = "Use Item (Anywhere)"  Item =  Verdite
        Page1
             Change Player Parameter, Increase by #, Value = 1 (or whatever the boost is)
             Display Message (Standard) Message "Magic Increased"

EDIT: There's an extra "http" in your link to v1.1 so it isn't working.  :tongue:
Is it OK if I move this topic to it's own section since it is a complete?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 03:51:09 am by HwitVlf »

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 09:35:17 am »
Yeah, if you'd like to move my game to it's own section that'd be great, link is fixed too.

I noticed that light sources will reveal hidden doors, is there any way to fix that? I tried unchecking and checking the "affect placed objects" option, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Also, I'll make a topic on these forums explaining the KF2 remake in more depth when I'm ready, dont worry. :biggrin:

(Edit: Fixed the Verdite issue, I'll update my game again after I receive more feedback on RPG Revolution.)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 11:55:27 am by MasterTaffer »
🎮 Indie RPG developer.

Offline Smittiox

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 03:17:50 pm »
Woot ! new game to try out  :biggrin: Thanks in advance man for the upcoming entertainment later tonight  :coffee:

Being a KF fan I'll probably be biased in it's favor already though lol. I'll try n get myself in here more often and give ya some feedback later on :)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 04:30:24 pm »
I like the new lighting- seems more somber like the KF games were.
I noticed that light sources will reveal hidden doors, is there any way to fix that? I tried unchecking and checking the "affect placed objects" option, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
That's one of the quirks of SoM. Because hidden doors are a different type of model from map Pieces, they respond to lighting differently. When you use a secret door on a map, you'll want to leave "Affect placed Object" checked or the door Object will be darker than the wall, and don't place lamps close to the door. You can lower the lamp's "intensity" setting if you want to put one closer to the door just for looks.  Also, it's a good idea to keep the ambient light setting at around 100+.

Smittiox, Like the avatar  :biggrin:  ...and so all Verdite was saved by the mysterious hero wearing a Groucho nose. As he rode into the sunset and left Verdite behind forever, he looked back one last time saying "I'd never join any country that'd have me as its hero."
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 04:37:03 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline Smittiox

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 10:56:25 pm »
Hello ! Just finished a bit ago. Really enjoyed playing through man  :smile:. Guess my only real complaint was it was so short but I was expecting that from the description.

It ended kind of abruptly for me the first time. I had my face to the wall in the final room lookin' for secrets and it went to the ending cut scene before I saw the king or knew what was goin' on lol. Reloaded from my last save and took a screenshot of me shooting him with a light arrow before I got too close to get some proper closure.  :tongue: Kindof reminded of an old NES game. Karnov lol .. days of struggling through crazy levels and hard bosses just to get literally just a black screen with " Congratulations !! The End " We were upset for weeks !

Lemme see, constructive criticism ... well, I'd work on lighting (still working on this myself btw) and making the environments less plain.  I got a lil lost too around the barracks and prison. More and varied enemies, more things and Npc's to interact with. Not that ya did anything wrong since this was a mini prequel game though. Guess theres only so much room for NPC's without goin overboard. The item assesment texts from the old piemaker were broken up. They look fine in the editor but in game the words don't 'wrap'. Hmm ...what else.. Oh, I liked all the secret doors and things to unlock. Mabey a little overkill for some but I like that kind of thing. Secret walls in rooms reached by a secret wall .. unlocked by a special key gotten from a secret room opened by a ... etc etc  :smile:

Lookin forward to the next installment. need to fire up the emulator and play the old ST games

Lol Thanks Hwitvlf  :tongue: Don't forget, I'd be sitting on my mule backwards pointing towards Verdite while yelling" Forward !!" what'd be a good name for the mighty steed .. Trigger, Silver, Shadowfax .. been done .. hrmm .. Misfire, Molly B Denim ... PaperFax?

edit : think he needs a cigar ?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 11:12:17 pm by Smittiox »

Offline JC Bailey

• Keeper
  • Administrator
  • Decked in Promeus
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 11:56:06 pm »
Yeah I know, couldn't figure out what to do with the ending because there aren't exactly any enemies that look like King Alfred XD. I do intend to add a final boss in a future update, just don't know how I'm going to go about it yet. Thanks for playing though, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.
🎮 Indie RPG developer.