Author Topic: SQS tiled floor example  (Read 6539 times)

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: SQS tiled floor example
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 06:50:12 am »
I'm detracting from the conversation here, just to say quickly that if you want textures to tile, go to into GIMP and load your texture,  Filters> Map> Make seamless.

"I lost a bunch and have been cheating, using open source minecraft textures."

Personally im very stringent when it comes to art, I have to make everything myself. That includes wall textures, clothing, faces. That said i'm sure your game will look sweet as.

"There's no real barrier to crack here. Part of implementing shields and other things is drawing the graphics for SOM. So under those circumstances it's trivial to pile on additional effects."

This is something I am really looking forward to. I also agree that Dark Souls went a bit nuts with normal mapping, its almost like every commercial developer feels they have to use standardised methods to make their game look good.

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
  • Do, or do not, there is no try...... ~yoda~
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 12:52:23 pm »
oh the horror..............holes holes holes   :) par for the course I reckon :)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 05:35:55 pm »
Just make it part of the SQS plotline that the world is being "torn apart" by forces from another dimension- then the holes will be seen as cool special effects!  :biggrin:

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 09:01:07 pm »
This is something I am really looking forward to. I also agree that Dark Souls went a bit nuts with normal mapping, its almost like every commercial developer feels they have to use standardised methods to make their game look good.

Most of the games I see nowadays remind me of disposable plastic. When I see plastic, I think cheap. All of the HD remakes of old games look like cheap gaudy plastic artifice. If your effects don't serve the ultimate goal of beauty, then they can only make your product look alien, artificial, insubstantial, illusory, etc. And all low budget games (ever since low budget games was a thing) look like these remakes.

All remakes except for the RayStorm HD remake. That was done absolutely right. Check it out. It's a good study of finding the line between what is technically possible and what is actually attractive to look at for long periods of time. You have to be very careful when you start giving your game that spit shine look. It can go bad in just about every way possible. Odds of it going good are very slim. Odds of your wasting a lot of time are very good.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:18:38 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 03:31:04 am »
one more post before bed....... I got to building my entrance hall and got bored, started playing with lighting, and removed the ambiant and left only a 45 angle light on.  Wow check out that depth in the floor tiles and the ceiling trim...... These look really great notice that the black is what flat textured tile look like.......... It was worth the extra work albeit not nessary.....   Happy Modeling.........ML

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 05:41:11 pm »
Joe ive got a lava fountain that you might like for your fireworld. Its unlikely that ill be using it anytime soon. (the black arrow is to make the lava texture move)

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 05:30:05 pm »
Ill take that as a no!

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 07:28:30 pm »
That would be a nice effect for a volcano-looking lava vent in a cave floor.   :cool:

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 02:39:07 am »
Sorry ben, of course I would love your fountain :-)  any customs you wish to bestow I will accept, send me a pm with the piece :-)      ..........ML