Author Topic: How is SOM different (or not different) from what people do with PC games (mods)  (Read 10250 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Just to chime in on some things ML was talking about, I could never sell my game because its called "King's Field"  that is most certainly protected intellectual property. The world, characters, story and likeness are all From's work, I would be 100% sure I would fail epicly if I tried to sell that game.

Well you choose for yourself to inhabit an absurd world then. A world where you cannot make a King's Field game with a King's Field Making Tool. How you can live with such cognitive dissidence is beyond me and anyone with a healthy head on their shoulders.

Even if you were hauled into court in some hypothetical Orwellian double speak dystopia. And such abuse of language was vindicated. Do you really think From Software's good name would survive such a battle? No. So you are insulting the intelligence of the good people of From, and insulting their goodwill to give you a tool to make King's Field games with.

When I make software I make if for people to use it. And when I name software I do so to indicate the proper use of said software. So if you choose to live in a world where you cannot make King's Field games with a King's Field Making Tool, well then your mind must be very long gone indeed.

Words have meaning. It's the denial of that that probably bother me most. The sheer depths of irrationality achievable by my fellow man right in my face is a close second.

Quote from: EDITED
Its a fun tool for an individual because its easy to pick up and use, but to even begin to dream about anything modern you must first rely on a completely set of tools being developed by, and don't take this personally HolyDiver, a singular fan.

Everything is free and open source. Better even. Public domain. It's probably the best such game making tool on the planet already. And who here will deny its impeccable pedigree? At this point if you start making a game, I will beat you to you finishing your game. So it's not too soon to start making a game. It is lonely. But being the lone hero on an otherwise miserable planet is what I do.

PS: I am not so much a fan as you might think. If there was a better way to do what I am doing I wouldn't be using SOM. It's a calculated decision. SOM just happens to be the best way to go about doing what needs to be done hands down. By leaps and bounds in fact.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 01:48:58 am by Holy Diver »

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
  • Do, or do not, there is no try...... ~yoda~
Ya know what I love you all, let's just have fun and make great games with a decent little engine from 1999 :-)

:beerchug:                   .......and let's not worry about the evil corporate hands of doom that surround the video game industry until they attempt to bestow their evil grasp :-)    yeah something like that ....... ML

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder