Author Topic: SQS Ultra Story and plot  (Read 4930 times)

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
  • Do, or do not, there is no try...... ~yoda~
SQS Ultra Story and plot
« on: June 18, 2013, 11:54:49 pm »
I have began modeling my first map and started working on custom doors for my game today, and I wanted to take a moment to talk about what it is going to be about, since, especially John set my up space for all things SQS, and I thank you sir.

SQS Ultra is going to my fan based re-boot of my first love .... Swordquest.....Yes my friends it all started when I was 7. The year was 1982. Most games at the time were two to three level button mashers that score was the goal. Then came the Swordquest Saga..  It was a game of action and logic, where as the goal was find clues buried within the accomplied comics by DC Comics. Brilliant for the time. the clues were entries for the Swordquest contest, in whitch you won the actual items you were questing in the game.... Love at first bleep.... Any self respecting gaming nerd knows the history of swordquest..... 2 prizes were awarded, Water World came out during the start of the 84 game crash. Atari cancelled the "Crown of light" contest, Air world never got built out of proto-type, and the last two prizes , including the ultimate prize.... were built but are still missing , as the, then ceo of atari had them at the time of the crash......has been photograph 2 years prior to his death with the sword.   But has since died, and no Philosiphers stone, or the Sword of Ultimate Sorcery" has been recovered as of yet....  Incidently The sword cost 50 K to make in 82' and is valued at 100 times that now as there was only one crafted..... Kinda like a hanso sword in real life, but for nerds :tongue:

Swordquest gave me love of all fantasy based games from then on, from final fantasy on the NES, to everyones favorite Kings field..... The story in the comics was early 80's but fairly good.  The game it's self inspired many game writers and other authors... For instance JK rowling has admitted to being a huge Swordquest fan as a child, and was so bummed that Airworld never came out , that she used the same illusive item as the Item to be sought in her first novel.  We all know how well that turned out....  The games like many other Atari 2600 games, Swordquest has long been in the realm of open source, so a reboot is possible. However the comics Were produced by DC Comics... And upon contacting them months ago when I first decided to use SoM to make the Saga, they stated they "MIGHT" do an anniversary edition in the future, so I can NOT use the TM name Swordquest, and I must alter the spelling of key character names, and I can use images from the comics as long as they are altered and have the text boxes removed.  I can do that, hell I was amazed someone actully contacted me about it.
Hence that is why my game is called SQS Ultra (Sword Quest Saga) the Twins Torr and Tarra are now Tor and Tara Ect.

Another deciding factor in making this game is that I can finish the story MY way.....As Airworld was never completed. The room structure is there and the plot for the game is solid, but I can finish it the way I have always dreamed of..... I have had over 30 years to think of an ending, I got a good one in mind.... And this time the WORLD WILL GET AIRWORLD...... And that my friends is why I decided to reboot Swordquest, now known as SQS Ultra.........

And before I go I will tell briefly about my plan to complete. Unlike my other attempts I will going simple but with decent visuals... To not get overwhelmed like last time, I am splitting the Worlds into 4 SoM projects... I made all the projects at once...All have color coded folders, and am building one level per world at a time, So I can progress Equally with all four parts, and to cut production time down.     Since I have so much done already with my other works, building will go much faster..... And how the game will progress will be simular to the Atari games All four projsects will be on one disk not 4 seperate games....you will progress to fireworld by making and fighting your way through the Zodiac chambers finding Word clues,,, At the end of of Earth world once you have the clues, Those will be the password to Unlock the Fireworld Game and so on.......   Hope that makes sence, it does to me anyways........... For all of you who took the time to read this and take interst in my work Thank you and I hope you like the game when it is released.      More to come soon...............................ML

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: SQS Ultra Story and plot
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 04:39:59 pm »
That's an interesting bit of gaming history. Found an interview on the subject here.. The only 2600 game I got to play much was the PacMan, but I remember hearing about Sword Quest.

It actually seems like a really good foundation for an SoM game. The separate rooms lend themselves well to individual maps in SoM, and the exploration and puzzle solving work well, too.  Seems like a good choice to me :beerchug:

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 10:26:38 pm »
Thanks John that's what I thought as well :-)  and thanks for the vote of confidence too !  :beerchug:

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 08:08:22 am »
Looking forward to this Joe, original idea, and youve got the framework you need.

Im assuming that 'jumping' will be an important factor!

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 11:19:53 am »
Oh yes, especially in waterworld and air world where there will be limited walking surfaces.  Those two will have a platformed feel....... Fire world is the only one I am having a problem with an event..... Does anyone know if you can set an event to slowly take away HP? I need to set one up for fireworld..... Fire world will also be sorta time based... As in fire world in is blistering...... So until you find the challice of light I want the character to lse health points to simulate the heat...... Hope SoM will let me do that:-)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 01:30:35 pm »
Not sure if there's a fancy way to do it in SomEx, but here's one way:

Trigger: Always On : Start Condition have Item Quantity < 1 "chalice"
             Page1:Change Player Parameter : HP Decrease by 2
                         Begin Screen Effect: Flash Red (optonal)
                         Begin Timer0
                         Change Active Page, this event: Forward one page

Page2: Set Timer0 Value in Counter "Measure Time"
                         IF "Measure Time" > 2 (change to set how fast health will decrease)
                              Change Active Page: This Event: Back one page
                         EndIf

You can also make the damage random by changing Page1 to:

Page1: Set Player Parameter in Counter: "HP Measuer"
                          Generate Random Value In Counter: "Randomizer" < 5 (change this to set damage range)
                          Change Counter's Value:"HP Measure" decrease by "Randomizer"
                          Change Player Parameter : HP , Set to Counter "HP Measure"
                          Begin Screen Effect: Flash Red (optonal)
                          Begin Timer0
                          Change Active Page, this event: Forward one page
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:55:03 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 04:41:52 pm »
My only thoughts. Why not SOMQuest? Too obvious?

Offline Madison Lastrega

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 10:49:27 pm »
Thank you John soooooo much, I will denfinatly be using that in fire world.... That is just what i wanted ..... Perfect....

SOMQuest.  nice :-)    .................ML

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 02:50:13 am »
It is almost 3am, I am going to read this post and Ben's updates tomorrow, I am too sleepy now :)
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 08:49:52 am »
I owned fire and earth world when I was little, and I gotta say I never really could figure anything out, as everything seemed mostly random....unfortunately I got copies of the game without comics in the box (most were actually sold that way sadly, shame on you atari!)so a bit of the point was lost on me.

It would have been nice to have some sort of clue which objects belonged in which treasure rooms, I hope your remake gives the players a bit of background on the various relics and rooms and what pieces belong there rather than continuous trial and error like the originals :P

I have long contemplated a remake of the NES game (may also be PC, im not sure) Shadowgate.  It again is room based and would likely fit on just one or two maps, but would be a fun puzzle solving adventure game that a typical player could complete in under 3 hours.

- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder