Author Topic: Dark Souls - Frank Frazetta artwork  (Read 5309 times)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: Dark Souls - Frank Frazetta artwork
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 03:07:51 pm »
@John: I'm quite a bit surprised you haven't heard of the man!
I think I might know his art even though I didn't know his name. He was "that guy who paints the muscle-dudes and half-naked women fighting monsters". :groundal:  I can certainly admire his talent, but the themes were a bit too "pro-wrestling" for my taste. I always felt the most poignant "fantasy" art showed the mundane meeting the extreme with a little mystery thrown in to make you think; it's that contrast and mystery that makes the "extreme" feel notable.

I like Terese Nielsen's work.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:11:03 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 08:27:39 am »
Actually Howard's Conan was meant to be 'sullen eyed and lithe like a panther' rather than the depiction of a bulging Arnie with a circlet.

That arts nice John, have you heard of Patrick Woodroffe? One of my fave surrealist artists, hes done alot of work for covers, a very imaginative fellow.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 02:21:36 am »
Man, I wish I had a tenth the talent of Frazetta or Woodroffe.
I like several of the artworks on Woodeoffe's site quite a lot, and he also sounds like quite a character.

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 11:13:16 am »
@John: Absolutely, it's quite a bit "pro wrestling!" xD It's far from my favourite style, but I still really like it. You've also got Luis Royo, who's style seems to have roots in Frank Frazettas work.

@Verdite: Really nice painting! That one actually makes me think of Morrowind, hehe!

I really should get more artwork done, myself. Need to get a bit more into it again. :)