Author Topic: Dark Souls - Frank Frazetta artwork  (Read 5299 times)

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Dark Souls - Frank Frazetta artwork
« on: June 17, 2013, 12:51:15 pm »
We dont have a dark souls board, anyway i'll post this here. I was looking at some Frank Frazetta artwork earlier, and this popped up...

(frank_frazetta_thuviamaidofmars.jpg)

Anyway those who appreciated the big forest cats in Dark Souls will like this. There are some obvious similarities.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: Dark Souls - Frank Frazetta artwork
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 04:33:20 pm »
*blinks* **POOF** Granted Master!

I had not heard of Frank Frazetta, but when I saw that picture I thought John Carter (the movie) - and sure enough, it looks like he drew a lot of John Carter?

I don't know why people didn't like that move. I though it was quite good except the ending left you hanging a bit too much.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 04:35:31 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 06:26:12 pm »
Thankyou Orko. Now play this on repeat. http://youtu.be/ZZ5LpwO-An4

It just seems like the company behind John Carter are trying desperately to get away from cartoons and into more serious territory in film making, sadly most cant see it happening and good ideas like John Carter get slated for it.

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 05:54:08 am »
@John: I'm quite a bit surprised you haven't heard of the man!

Frank Frazetta was big. He's literally the man who's artistic interpretation made Conan what it is today. If not for his vision, Conan would've looked much, much different today - and I dare say, it's unlikely it would've been as popular as it is.

He's also done art for numerous other titles and franchises, including John Carter and Tarzan. Select paintings of his have in themselves spawned other works and products, like D&D adventures, novels, and comics. Some of his paintings have sold for over a million dollars. That alone ought to give you some idea. :)

Sorry for seeming a bit fanboy, but as a novice artist and comic book appreciator, I hold a bit of admiration and respect for his work. ;)

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 05:59:51 am »
@Guyra

Savage sword of conan? Ive got one of the originals.
Just to say, The Age of Conan which is an MMO isnt very good, its basically a WoW clone and aside from the artwork being decent, its not really worth it. Just incase you ever stumbled upon it, it doesnt do Frazetta's world any justice.

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 06:26:35 am »
I actually never played that game, though I've hear a bit about it and seem some of it. They kind of fucked up by releasing the game practically unfinished, with so many bugs that it seriously hurt the game. But I've also heard that it became quite good after all of that was fixed(which took a good deal of time).

Also, Conan was created by Robert Ervin Howard, and were originally novels. Frank Frazetta did the cover art first for the books, though his works have also been used for the comics, and basically set the standard for all Conan art to come, in addition to other franchises, both related and non. :)

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 07:43:04 am »
Dont know how I got the two mixed up there. Thanks for reminding me about Howard being the creator.

Personally I think "Conan" on the ps2 is better than AoC online. The only problem on the ps2 version is how you lose your found armour when you go to a new area. Theres a spiked helm on the first level, by the boss, and its probably the best looking piece of armour. Sadly you cant wear it throughout the whole game.

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 09:42:55 am »
Being big on PS2 collecting(with close to 250 games thus far), I guess that's a game I should get me then! :D

And yeah, such game design is always irritating. :/

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 02:26:40 pm »
Also, Conan was created by Robert Ervin Howard, and were originally novels. Frank Frazetta did the cover art first for the books, though his works have also been used for the comics, and basically set the standard for all Conan art to come, in addition to other franchises, both related and non. :)

These men lived in different eras. Frazetta's artwork helped sell various kinds of reprints not limited to Conan. Howard was probably dead before Frazetta was born (like his colleague H.P. Lovecraft he didn't live all that long; not even as a long as Lovecraft. They died back to back. Howard first.)

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 06:31:24 am »
Yeah, I mentioned that he worked on other stuff as well in a couple of posts up. But we kind of got side tracked with Conan, I guess. :)