Author Topic: Any Brigandine (PSX) fans?  (Read 160213 times)

Offline Yuri_RP

• Dagger Carrier
Re: Any Brigandine (PSX) fans?
« Reply #450 on: January 01, 2015, 03:56:55 am »
Registered ASAP after seeing this Brigandine GE Patch. Can't wait to have it now. Hope it will be soon.
Thank you in advance for your hard work Man..  :beerchug:

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #451 on: January 01, 2015, 03:58:24 pm »
Do you consider the translating part or the hacking part to be harder? From my perspective, you seem to have both facets down pretty handily.
I think translating is universally harder than hacking/programming. Computers use pure math; 100% man-made constructs that never vary so they're much easier to predict and edit. But translation is organic. It takes not only knowledge of two languages, but artistic ability to translate ideas between them.

For example, there's a Japanese word that is basically a "coarse sneer".  Most dictionaries list it as something like bah, pfft, sh**" but there really is no perfect English equivalent. In Brigandine, Zemeckis says it almost every other sentence, Dryst says it regularly, Kiloph when he's angry, and other characters every now and then. The LoF translation dropped the phrase completely - probably because the English equivalents are too 'noticed' by English speakers. If you keep them all and translate them identically, it would make the characters sound too similar and unnatural. Instead, I came up with a distinct version of the word for each character that uses it a lot, and also thinned it down just enough to keep it sounding natural. Zemeckis got "Bah",  Kiloph got "Sheesh", I think Dryst got "Pfft" etc. If a translator doesn't do stuff like that, I think their work comes out as flat or awkward. Just my opinion on the subject.   

Offline Kammu

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #452 on: January 01, 2015, 06:20:15 pm »
thank you for your hardwork HwitVlf.  :beerchug:
and Happy New Year to all Brigandine fans out there!

Offline Tony0075

• Mace Masher
« Reply #453 on: January 01, 2015, 06:23:49 pm »
Happy new years to all on here . BTH I have some Ideas for a brigandine rebalance . Maybe even add a yellow orb for a wind element and make green earth based .

Offline CryHavoc

• Dagger Carrier
« Reply #454 on: January 03, 2015, 04:55:05 pm »
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I'm also a huge King's Field fan, so joining this site makes sense in a twofold way. Ha

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #455 on: January 03, 2015, 05:05:37 pm »
Welcome to our gang, CryHavoc! If you haven't checked them out yet there are several KF inspired games in the "complete game" section here. Return to Melanat, Dark Destiny and Fall of Verdite are specifically fan made installments in the King's Field universe. :beerchug:

Offline Valentari

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #456 on: January 05, 2015, 12:11:16 am »
These last couple months have been a whirlwind of audio files, but the good news is, we're only 5 characters  (1 main, 4 minor) away from a complete English voice casting.

Anyone here have a professional-grade mic and want to be a minor character? :-P

Offline Rovole

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #457 on: January 06, 2015, 03:17:05 am »
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I'm also a huge King's Field fan, so joining this site makes sense in a twofold way. Ha

I didn't get into King's field until after I discovered Brigandine: LoF, and stumbled upon this site while searching for a GE translation. Imagine my surprise when I put two-and-two together and realize who has been handing me my translated games fix.

And as a side note, Is SoM: EX worth looking into? It looks like to use it, I'll have to manually port over established modules into the SoM:EX format. The only reason why I'd even consider SoM: EX is that it squashes a few bugs, such as the critical memory leak in shipped copies of SoM. Or has that already been fixed,(I read about it in the Dark Destiny readme),?

Offline mubazirano

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #458 on: January 14, 2015, 09:14:47 pm »
how's the progress HwitVlf ?

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #459 on: January 14, 2015, 10:24:44 pm »
Check here

EDIT: nilianofts, replied HERE
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:17:45 pm by HwitVlf »