Author Topic: Any Brigandine (PSX) fans?  (Read 159772 times)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: Any Brigandine (PSX) fans?
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 05:38:54 pm »
Most items in Brigandine reference something from Norse mythology such as the sword Answerer (so often mistranslated as Answeller).  I'd like to keep spellings as correct as possible, but I can't find any historical reference to one particular item.

It's  called something like "Valient's Wings" and grants flying to any troop; does anyone know what mythological thing that name might be referring to?

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 05:05:01 pm »
I'm very familiar with Norse mythology, mainly because there is Norse everywhere in my county. Sounds like its supposed to be "Valkyries wings" though of course Valkyries are females.  :smile:

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 05:55:50 pm »
Most items in Brigandine reference something from Norse mythology such as the sword Answerer (so often mistranslated as Answeller).  I'd like to keep spellings as correct as possible, but I can't find any historical reference to one particular item.

It's  called something like "Valient's Wings" and grants flying to any troop; does anyone know what mythological thing that name might be referring to?

Your screenshot says Light Feather. But I assume you know that. Anyway I hope all of these games are dissected so that they can be remade in open source form. Reusing the art and data, but jettisoning their immutable ancient occult binary formats. Or at least wresting them from the hands of those that would take them to their graves.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 04:04:07 pm »
That's actually not a bad thought Ben. The Japanese word is not Valkyrie, ("Valkyrie" is a knight-class in the game and they spell it differently), but I generally think that a name that means something is better than a name which means nothing in particular.  The Japanese is  ヴェールントの羽 ?

That's an interesting thing about many Japanese games; their item names are actually English words spelled phonetically with the Japanese alphabet,  which means most Japanese speaking gamers have no idea what the words mean. I wonder why they do it that way.

Mick: Yep, Light Feather is the Angel unit's ranged attack if I remember right. Of course it could be "Right Ferret"... but I doubt it. :tongue:

The resources in Brigandine are standard PSX- TIM and TMD so they can be extracted easily. But, I don't think having the source code for a console game would mean much since they are bound to the console's hardware  and thus die with the console without emulation. I's easy to swap out sprites, sounds, video and such on Brigandine. And I found the table where units are defined so it actually should be possible to mod Brigandine into a new game. Here's a black mage from Final Fantasy swapped into Brigandine

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 06:56:34 pm »
But, I don't think having the source code for a console game would mean much since they are bound to the console's hardware  and thus die with the console without emulation.

That would be a waste of time. If you've played the game as much as it seems like you have. You should know how it works in every regard. So instead you'd just go about making a game that works the same in every regard.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 06:58:48 pm »
BTW: is the ? in ヴェールントの羽 ?  a placeholder? There is a game on ja.wikipedia called Treasure Hunger G that may have the exact same item if so. I always start with ja.wikipedia with this kind of thing. It can be a real headache.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 09:02:57 pm »
The question mark was just my punctuation as in "what does it mean"???????????

Yeah, I agree that re-writing is preferable to reverse engineering. I would actually love to make an SoM like engine designed specifically for turned based strategy- a normal 3D engine that go into a turn based grid mode when desired.
There are a few mediocre 2D Japanese strategy RPG makers out there, but nothing that utilizes modern hardware's abilities. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:05:05 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 10:56:41 pm »
The question mark was just my punctuation as in "what does it mean"???????????

Yeah, I agree that re-writing is preferable to reverse engineering. I would actually love to make an SoM like engine designed specifically for turned based strategy- a normal 3D engine that go into a turn based grid mode when desired.
There are a few mediocre 2D Japanese strategy RPG makers out there, but nothing that utilizes modern hardware's abilities.

That sounds like a map editor to me. SOM will get there eventually. I don't see it as being limited to first person adventure games. But that is the dominant game format I think. It's like the movie of video games. Where other formats are like the cooking shows of video games.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 02:38:23 pm »
Here's a new term I encountered in Brigandine Grand: 切り払い
It's describes unit's skill as in "切り払い 50%" and literally translates to something like "cut the bill". I assumed it meant something like damage reduction, but after some research, it appears to be a phrasing for "cutting down projectiles with a  sword" before they hit. In this case, it gives a unit the ability to nullify 50% of incoming arrow attacks.  Super Robot Wars used it to mean "shoot down incoming missiles". 

At least it was easier to understand than horinaitsudaga ?????   . . . (Holy Knight's Dagger  :movingeyes: )

Here's another funny one. A description of a unit's attack is literally:
"I attract an enemy and let you make an internal squabble"
Give the enemy indigestion??!!!! 
I'm guessing it means "Charm an enemy so they fight their comrades", but I like the idea of an indigestion attack better: I could use Tom's forum signature as the description "Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage" :rofl:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 02:52:44 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 06:18:48 pm »
That made me laugh out loud. An indigestion attack would be very unique! You could have tablets to cure your soldiers.

"The magical tablet cured the internal squabble!"