Author Topic: Natural Doctrine - Hardcore rpg strategy from devs of ogre battle saga and FF  (Read 3174 times)

Offline duredure

• Silvarion Slasher
  • Die Pigs
I found this game yesterday and discovered that the english version is going to be release next week.

They said that is totally hardcore and you go die a lot. It's was made by ex devs from ogre battle saga, FF Tactics and the director from patapon.

I read in some forums that this game is the "dark souls " of the  strategy genre.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/09/playstations-super-hardcore-strategy-rpg-natural-doctrine

I saw some videos in utube and I liked a lot. We need more games like that. Hardcore and well made.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 01:52:45 pm by duredure »

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
This sounds interesting. I like that it will be hard. Too many strategy games are so easy that you don't really have to use strategy.

But it is a little disappointing to read that the story isn't very fleshed out.  I miss the rich story lines of games like Brigandine or Vandal Hearts. 

Offline duredure

• Silvarion Slasher
  • Die Pigs
ah depends what people says like " good story"
I saw some reviews saying that FF 7 had bad story..
Look suikoden 3. It's a grand rpg with great history but some gamers gave bad review and also saying is bad history and gameplay.

I go play soon the natural doctrine. When I finished this hard game( If I managed off course haha) I post my opinion about it history here.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

Offline duredure

• Silvarion Slasher
  • Die Pigs
Ok I played around 3 hours of this game.
I finished the tutorial and in the first battle I die in easy mode lol.
After some tries I managed to keep going in the game. I got game over around 5-6 times.
I don't want play this game anymore. Why?

-The problem about this game is that if any one of ur members die is game over.
If a troll critical hit one member is game over.
-The autosave takes some time and if you die you need comeback half the battle again making the game boring and repetitive because you can't savegame.

I like hard games but when is not repetitive and boring to play again after the game over screen. Look for example the brigandine in hard mode and grand patch applied...Is hard but is fun to play again even if you lose because is not game over.. you just lose ur castle.

Offline Rovole

• Bow Bearer
-The problem about this game is that if any one of ur members die is game over.
If a troll critical hit one member is game over.
-The autosave takes some time and if you die you need comeback half the battle again making the game boring and repetitive because you can't savegame.

This, a game design decision that I question. Strategy games are one genre in which losses are expected, even for the story-favored protagonist faction, but having a strong plot means having strong characters that aren't very disposable. Different games have taken different approaches to reconciling that point of contention. Some games, like fire emblem or the Banner Saga, give each character a face and a part of the story, but the core of the plot orbits around a single or handful of "lord" units that are the only indispensable ones. Other characters might be part of the story temporarily, or show up optionally in later parts, the game being written to anticipate both their absence or inclusion. Games like X-com, and alot of rtses insert you or some other figure into the story as a kind of nebulous general entity, who doesn't risk his life on the battlefield personally, so that the characters on the battlefield can be generic and die or survive without consequence, at the cost of a flimsier story and fewer characters to form attachments with.

In Disgaea and other light-hearted strategy games, Brigandine included, death is not permanent unless dictated by the story, allowing characters to "die" without many repercussions, since as far as the game is concerned, they can just be re-spawned or such. Games run the spectrum between these points, and it feels like this Natural Doctrine goes far to one side of the spectrum, beyond fire emblem by making each and every life essential. In turn, I expect the story to involve these characters in a significant way.