Author Topic: Spriggan (PS1) by From Software  (Read 4334 times)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Spriggan (PS1) by From Software
« on: June 20, 2014, 04:52:53 am »
I was looking at a list of games made by Fromsoft and saw Spriggan Lunar Verse. It looks like it may be pretty good. Has anyone here ever played it?

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
Re: Spriggan (PS1) by From Software
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 07:13:21 am »
Not I, but I did just pick up a game called Lost Kingdoms for the Game Cube that is From Software, going to try that out soon and let you guys know if its any good.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 01:34:54 pm »
I was looking over that game too. You should post a mini-review after you have tried it out.

Offline TheStolenBattenberg

• Capricorn Crusher
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 05:50:01 am »
Hmm... I've never heard of that game... I might get myself an ISO and check it out, though I hope it's not too story intensive since I can't read a word of Japanese... :P
Ashes to ashes, Dust to dust...
Honor to glory; And iron to rust.
Hate to bloodshed, From rise to fall.
If I never have to die; Am I alive at all?

Offline Mord of Swoonlight

• Lord Veyrac's Illegitimate Son
  • Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 10:47:55 pm »
Whoa, awesome!  I was a big fan of the anime.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 08:48:56 pm »
I got a copy. It appears to be something like a mission based fighting game with platformer and maybe stealth components. I would guess close to Tenchu or such. It was From's last PS1 title and it appears well done to me and quite refined. The text has voice acting with subtitles and a fair amount of the menus are in English already. Quite a few move combos to figure out.

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 03:49:41 pm »
I did see this game on a list of Fromsoft games once. And I did watch the anime movie several years back, and thought it was good. Wouldn't mind trying this one out. :)

Offline Rovole

• Bow Bearer
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 03:30:21 am »
Not I, but I did just pick up a game called Lost Kingdoms for the Game Cube that is From Software, going to try that out soon and let you guys know if its any good.

Lost Kingdoms 2 was the first From Software game I owned. Naturally, this led me to acquire the first Lost Kingdoms.

The Lost Kingdoms games are set in a fantasy universe that while separate from King's Field, share certain thematic similarities that are expected given the shared patronage. The bestiary, for example, would be at home in a King's field entry as it is in its home game.

Unlike King's Field, Lost Kingdoms is a card-based game. The player controlled avatar possesses no attacks of her own, and must rely on invocations of creatures bound within cards, the power to do so given by her "runestone," artifacts of divine origin givens to the various sovereigns. The monsters sealed within the cards can either be invoked as summoned creatures that are given independent movement to engage foes  or support the player at will, or are blinked-in at the moment of attack much like weapons, with more elaborate summoning sequences for stronger creatures. Lost Kingdoms 2 adds a few cards that transform the player into the visage of the imprisoned creature, to use their powers as their own.

Overall, I had plenty of fun even without being a FromSoft groupie. The story is sparse, there are a few gaps in the execution, but both the setting and the creatures that inhabit it are interesting, with the side-bonus of a card-collecting game as you can capture wild creatures into cards, either existing(first game,) or blank(second game,) cards, as well as copy and evolve cards that gain experience as you use them effectively.