Author Topic: So..... 2 years since this forum saw some life....  (Read 6056 times)

Offline MrEmeralddragon

• Long Sword Swinger
So..... 2 years since this forum saw some life....
« on: May 07, 2013, 10:50:37 am »
So heres the thing.

I am doing a Lets Play of the game as is a friend of mine. I have gotten fairly far into the game and just need some minor hints to figure out whether im wasting my time on one thing and if there is a trick to another.

I have Jord, Branns and Farvanns hearts and working on getting the last one. I did the 2 crystals and opened the 2 walls to the wind seal and the button but every time i get close to the door to progress the screen flashes green and the door closes. Not sure what the trick to this one is yet.

Now for the place where Im wasting time faffing around. In the earth area in the room with supposedly nothing in it I can interact with an armour through the wall and one wall sticks out a bit so its obvious theres something there but I have no idea how to get this room  to work for me rather than against me. Both upheavals and all 3 displcaes seem to do nothing so I dont know what to do here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline MrEmeralddragon

• Long Sword Swinger
Re: So..... 2 years since this forum saw some life....
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 09:50:15 am »
Let me just give this a bit of a bump. I realise people dont check this place much anymore but hopefully this gets some attention

Ok so Im stuck permanently on 48 magic so i cant finish the game. I can see a switch handle on the floor of the room that had Jords pedestal protecting the orb and I know there is an armour golem behind the wall. I cant pick up the switch at all because i keep interacting with the frame on the wall saying the room is empty and I cant upheave or displace the wall that sticks out regardless of angle and distance. Whats the solution here?

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 05:28:48 pm »
It's been a long time since I played through, but I seem to remember that the place you describe in the first post just requires very precise timing to run through the door before it closes. I don't remember the area mentioned in the second post specifically, but Tom (the game's maker) is still around and I messaged him about your questions.

If you'd like to post your save, maybe we could check it out?  :1782:

Offline MrEmeralddragon

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 09:15:31 pm »
Well I got the vindenes heart after. Worked out the timing and avoiding hitting too many dark tiles etc.

Save is attached and Im in the area im talking about

I also PMed hguols and am patiently awaiting a response.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 04:19:02 pm »
I see the place you're talking about, but I just don't remember clearly if there's more to do in that room.  I suspect Hguols will answer this when he gets time, but you could also ask someone who has the Trismegistus project files to look and see how that room was set up.

The member here "Holy Diver" who did a remake of Trismegistus should have the map files and might peek to see what is going on in that room.  :smash2:

Offline MrEmeralddragon

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 09:26:33 am »
Well I had held off PMing Holy Diver and opted to hold out for hguols but he doesnt seem to be coming back any time soon. I guess its time to call on the holy one. Just hate using the PM system here cos not being a Kings field fan I dont know the answers to the security questions and I need to google each one. Oh well.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 01:28:24 pm »
Well I had held off PMing Holy Diver and opted to hold out for hguols but he doesnt seem to be coming back any time soon. I guess its time to call on the holy one. Just hate using the PM system here cos not being a Kings field fan I dont know the answers to the security questions and I need to google each one. Oh well.

Wait, how do these security questions work? While technically I do have the project files. I am really not familiar with the game. Even the parts I've played through I can't remember well. I happened to explain this when I happened to reply to this thread, but the reply was accidentally deleted by a mod, and I didn't feel like it needed repeating.

"That game is like a Hellraiser puzzle box. If its not your life's obsession to crack it open to see if it summons demons from hell or not, then you're probably wasting your time. I've spent some time restoring it to make it really pretty and accessible, but I've never looked at the events not wanting to spoil it. Haven't gotten very far into it either.

Anyway, my advice is it feels like a game that is meant to be played slowly like a little bit at a time. Wait until an idea pops into your head, and then go see if it gets you unstuck. Could take decades to finish if you don't cheat yourself. That said, it needs more polish. Like so many SOM games (of which there are only a few) the game is like an unfinished house and not maintained by the author. That said its super creative. So I can't not recommend it. I'd wait for 2.0 though myself."

I think a lets play review that stopped before the end would not be so bad. It would leave some mystery.

I chose to work with Trismegistus just because its probably the best looking game made with SOM so far. Even if its more like Echo Night. But really just because I needed something to work with. And it was kind of fun to mess around with. Its extensive use of lighting was invaluable at the time.

I remember a thread around here that walked through the last stages of the game. If you are at the parts where you can die due to some kind of combat, I think that's like the boss of the game or something. The event structure of a game is just near impossible to unravel if you have not played through the game.

Besides Tom (the author) will pop in here eventually and be able to give you directions almost surely. I am surprised anyone plays these games. They can be made to play without glitches and professional presentation now, but no one takes advantage of that. People are the darnedest things.

EDITED: For the record I certainly didn't remake Trismegistus. I started to remaster it, like I intend to do for all of the half decent games in time if the authors can't do it for themselves. I did want to do something like a remake, more like a remix, of Diadem of Maunstraut. I won't write that off, but I only mention it to say that maybe that is where any confusion comes from. Also I could probably throw together a remastered Trismegistus in short order. I really wanted a replacement for the leafy tree though. It brings the game down visually. I've replaced the grass with a superior version of the same billboard model.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:09:11 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 01:41:39 pm »
In fact, if you are making videos and it isn't too late, I'd really rather you use a remastered version of the game. It would make Sword of Moonlight look so much better. I can work with you if you'd like to do that.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 02:20:28 pm »
I thought I had a screenshot like this handy, but I didn't, so I made a new one. I like the dither effect for Trismegistus but it doesn't thumbnail well. Might look like a moving grain pattern in a video.

I still think that leafy tree needs a replacement. Similar but more in keeping with everything else. Otherwise it looks pretty good in all directions. You can play this version with an analog controller, or a mouse if you want. And it works in a window. Plus I added a unique Egyptian font that works really well. And the eye level is that of the PC. Seen in some of the slideshows.

She is short. I think it would be an interesting effect if she stood up on her toes when you press against things. Because her eye level is just below many of the pedestals in the game that you take items from.

Edited/offtopic: the attachment limit is only 800MBs. Might be something to look into.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 02:23:45 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 06:40:24 pm »
Sorry about that MrEmeralddragon, I wasn't aware there were security questions required to send a PM. They must only apply to new members. There was a time (before some security updates) when we were swarmed with spammers; I'll look into simplifying things.

It's true that Hguols will probably chime in here eventually, but I'm assuming you'd like to finish the lets-play sooner rather than later. The save shows you have 113/118 solves; are you still at the same ratio? There are a couple threads with a little hint info HERE and HERE.

If you (Mick) will send me the map files, I can at least look at at the room in the save and see if there are any more events going on.

PS. I don't think there is anything else to do in that room. The stairwell wraps around and the armor that you can interact with there is actually the one on the floor below. The room does look suspicious, and I seem to remember being confused there myself, but I think that's why he has the "nothing more to do here" sign.   So I'm pretty sure the remaining "solves" are somewhere else  :doh:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:31:25 pm by HwitVlf »