Author Topic: Game idea  (Read 6515 times)

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
Re: Game idea
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 09:00:51 pm »
Java isn't a simple programming language AFAIK. It has more complexity than C++ but does streamline away some redundant features (personally I prefer the redundancy but it is intimidating)

You might be thinking about Javascript. Which BTW if you can make a game with Javascript you'd be a lot better off since it should work in any web browser without any nasty plugins.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 04:53:36 pm »
Holy cow Guyra, that is an awesome demo vid!

I personally also cannot believe you are just picking up Java to make a game!  Well done.

I for one would certainly play this game, and I am 100% in agreement that non random loot is ftw.  I can recall how awesome a feeling it was in KF games to find a one of a kind super sword deep in a cave and how utterly disappointed I was with Skyrim when searching a very large dungeon yielded a basic unnamed and nondescript dagger that gave me like +10 hit points or something.  Items in a game should be a real treasure to find, they should have depth and character and add to the lore of the world you are building, not just be a rusty ole dagger with a +10 modifier on it that any shopkeeper might be able to sell you 10 of.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 05:58:14 am »
@John: Yeah, I loved that feature in the BG games(+ID & PT). Won't be part of this game though, as it'll be less tactical/strategic, and more action focused. :) I have not started on the combat yet, as I'm still working on another, smaller game for the sake of learning. Want to finish up that one first. :)

@HolyDiver: Yeah, Java isn't a simple language, but it is easy to learn compared to a lot of other languages. At least that's how I feel. :) And ugh, never liked JavaScript. I've had to work with it on several occasions due to my previous occupation in web design. And it was always some because of unnecessary shit. :P

@Todd: I completely agree with you. I want to use every game element to their full extent(at least as best as I can), and that includes items. I want there to be a feeling of joy and accomplishment when a player finds a new item, and I want to use the items to further add to the lore of the game world, like King's Field did it. ^^

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 01:25:06 pm »
Any progress on this game?

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 02:03:32 pm »
None! :p Actually, I'm still working on my learning project, and did take a break from that as well. But I guess it's time to get back into it, and hopefully finish the training project so that I can start actually working on the game that I want! :)

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 04:32:45 pm »
The reason why I took a break from this, by the way, was because I got stuck with a bug. Basically, there's something wrong with the jumping(this is a platformer) and gravity in relation to the collision detection. But now I'm back to hunting down the cause for the bug.

Once that works properly, I'll be able to move onto the next stages of the development for this game, which should generally be easier. Like adding items and more enemies than one, and an attack. Maybe even some climbing. Then I'll add a level select screen, a main menu, and saving. At that point this game should basically be done. Then I'll make a level editor to make things easier for me(and to have some others help me out with making levels for the game).

At that point I think I will have learned enough to safely start on the larger project that I started this thread about. ;)

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 05:23:50 pm »
*Waves* feel free to ask me for art. I'd be glad to be a part of it.

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 06:03:09 pm »
Very cool! I might take you up on that! ;)

I would actually need people to help me with the action RPG project, especially with the 3D and levels(which will be 3D prerendered in layers).

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 08:44:50 am »
Typically Diablo style, sounds good. I've actually quite alot of experience working with Diablo graphics, I almost stuck it out long enough to create my own character in Diablo 1, but my SOM project eventually took presedence over all of my spare time... As usual...  :smile:

Point being, im quite well versed in working with PCX files, you'd probably learn a good amount by sifting through this forum I imagine.

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 06:30:15 pm »
Very cool! And yes, the aim is to have a graphic style similar to Diablo/Diablo 2, and the like. Although the gameplay would be more reminiscent of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, with RPG elements more like a mix betweem King's Field and Diablo, and story telling style similar to King's Field.

The way I'm thinking of doing the graphics would be to basically make an area in Blender, set the camera to isometric, with the correct angle and distance from the ground, etc., and then basically render images in at the very least two layers.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 06:33:40 pm by Guyra »