Author Topic: Game idea  (Read 6519 times)

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
Game idea
« on: March 21, 2013, 03:29:24 pm »
So I'm working on this little game idea ...

Basically, I'm thinking of creating a 2D game that would use graphics similar to, Baldur's Gate, gameplay similar to TLoZ: A Link to the Past, and story and overall atmosphere more in the vein of King's Field.

Is that something you guys can imagine becoming a decent game?

Here's a video of what I've made so far - keep in mind that the graphics are all placeholders, and don't belong to me. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry6JJUWIL90

This is basically just walking around, animations working, dynamic loading of the map and its NPCs, dynamic update of the order in which the various elements will be drawn(player and NPCs), etc.

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: Game idea
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 02:56:54 pm »
Looking interesting. I think a third person game has good benefits in terms of how the player can base his attacks and see a full (although unrealistic) view of the immediate surroundings...

Are you thinking along the lines of Diablo, having interesting build challenges and random drops? Or more Baldurs gate, powering with character profiles and story base?

Something you really should play is the granfather of all third person, isometric games, which not everyone knows about for DOS ( :azn:) called 'veil of darkness'
you can get it free and use it with dosbox. I can give you instructions if you arent sure how to get the game running on it.
I suggest it because if you want to develop a certain game, its good to see all its forms, even if they have annoying music and pixelated graphics  :tongue:

http://www.old-games.com/download/1178/veil-of-darkness
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 02:58:38 pm by Verdite »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 04:53:48 pm »
Haha, thats crazy!!

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 04:51:36 pm »
I think a game like you describe could be very nice. 2D isometric view has a benefit over 3D in that is gives the player a better awareness of his immediate surrounding just like they would have in real life. I also think it lends itself to artistic stylizing a bit more than 3D. Anyways, the video looks nice- definitely something I would check out. What engine are you using?

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 01:07:00 am »
just like they would have in real life

I don't know. I am more and more of the mind that this is just a failing of a first person game's controls, or people wildly overestimate how aware of their surroundings they are in real life.

Controls are the most important things in the world in my book. I've been working on new controls for SOM all month. I really feel like I am in the game to a greater degree than I can remember ever feeling with any other game. I don't feel like there are any blind spots as long as you are on your toes, and there are all kinds of innovations that could be done to organically alert players to threats or whatever.

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 06:29:56 am »
Sorry for the late reply, guys!

Are you thinking along the lines of Diablo, having interesting build challenges and random drops? Or more Baldurs gate, powering with character profiles and story base?
I would have to say more along the lines of Baldur's Gate. Despite how much I love the first two Diablo games, I am still not that big of a fan of random drops. And I prefer it when the main character actually feels like a main character, and not just a "doll" that you play around with and configure as you wish. I don't want the character to be defined by its stats, but rather by how he is perceived as a "silent protagonist" รก la the Zelda and King's Field games, for example. Hope that makes sense. :)

And I'll check out Veil of Darkness, thanks! :D

I also think it lends itself to artistic stylizing a bit more than 3D.
Quite. That's certainly one of the pros about 2D graphics. :)

What engine are you using?
This is just programmed directly in Java, with nothing else.

Controls are the most important things in the world in my book.
And you're not alone about that. Controls are the base for the gameplay, so if those aren't good, the gameplay in general won't be good either. And bad gameplay leads to players putting the game down. It doesn't matter if you've got a great storyline, interesting characters, or fantastic graphics if the gameplay sucks. And that means you need good controls. And as you also mention yourself, better controls can make it an even more immersive experience.

If the controls feels as natural as possible, then you will think less about what you're doing with your hands, and more about what you're doing in the game. :)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 12:50:01 pm »
Wow, You're coding it from scratch! You're braver than I am. Cool :biggrin:

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 07:16:31 am »
Haha! Java is a very easy language to learn and use, though. ;)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 03:57:04 pm »
Well, I'm still impressed. Even in a language as simplified as JAVA, there's a boat load of programming needed to get the demo in your video up and running smoothly. Have you gotten into the combat system yet?

One thing I loved about Baldur's Gate that was the ability to pause while you issued orders. That adds an optional element of strategy. You don't see that feature in many modern games  :smile: