Author Topic: New to this forum  (Read 3503 times)

Offline Ranstaden

• Long Sword Swinger
New to this forum
« on: March 19, 2013, 10:28:15 am »
Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum. I've played KF1, KF2, Ancient City and Eternal Ring and think they are the best games I have ever played; and I've played many over the years. I realize this is a developers forum but thought I may be able to find a game similar to the KF series here. I played Diadem of Maunstraut on my old win98 machine and thought it was very well done. I tried to play Diadem of Maunstraut on my new winxp machine to no avail. If anyone has a game I can try on my pc it would be greatly appreciated. I have been frustrated trying to find a game similar to the KF series with no luck.

Die-hard Kings Field fan,

Ranstaden
If you take an inch, give em' back a mile

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: New to this forum
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 05:38:52 pm »
Welcome Ranstaden  :biggrin:
If you're looking for other SoM games, have you tried Dark Destiny? There's also Trismegistus, but it's more of a puzzle game. As far as non-SoM King's Field like games, I'd say Arx Fatalis is the closest to King's Field I've ever seen. It can be bought on GOG.com relatively cheaply.

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 03:18:00 pm »
Welcome to the site! I'm not a SoM developer either, so you're not alone! ;)

Offline Ranstaden

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 06:15:15 pm »
I played Arx Fatalis on my playstation years ago, the game is awesome!!
I'll definitely try Trismegistus.

I have downloaded Dark Destiny from this site but am having a bit of trouble getting it going. The file is un-zipped in a folder on my desktop

Do I need to make a directory and move the folders contents? see readme file in screen-shot

Rans

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 06:28:54 pm by Ranstaden »

Offline Ranstaden

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 06:20:14 pm »
Welcome to the site! I'm not a SoM developer either, so you're not alone! ;)

Ty Guyra, I'll bet the developers like us like us to play their games :beerchug:

Rans

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 07:13:07 pm »
The screenshot appears to show only the v1.06 update patch, not the whole game.The whole game can be downloaded from Todd's spooky looking site HERE. It is already at the latest v1.07 so you won't need the 1.06 update.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 07:15:18 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline Ranstaden

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 11:36:20 am »
Ah, I see, thanks HwitVlf... will check it out later today

Rans

Offline Ranstaden

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 03:20:44 pm »
Welcome Ranstaden  :biggrin:
If you're looking for other SoM games, have you tried Dark Destiny? There's also Trismegistus, but it's more of a puzzle game. As far as non-SoM King's Field like games, I'd say Arx Fatalis is the closest to King's Field I've ever seen. It can be bought on GOG.com relatively cheaply.
I got Dark Destiny, looks really good so far!
I need to get my Hammerhead FX controller hooked up, the keyboard is a little too much for me. I'm going to pick up a PCI card for it tommorrow.

Offline Ranstaden

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 08:14:00 pm »
I couldn't get a game-port PCI card working on my XP machine so I dug out my trusty old win98 machine to play Dark Destiny with my joystick on it.

The game loads but I can't play DD on it, with or without the Hammerhead joystick; I have no controls, even when I disable the joystick and try to use the num pad. (the keyboard works, barely, to navigate the menu; I need to keep tapping the keys to get them to work)

The thing is, I can play Diadem of Maunstraut on the 98 machine with the joystick and it works great.

I mirrored the settings from Diadem to Dark Destiny and still have no luck. Perhaps I should get a compatible joystick for my XP machine.

any ideas?

Rans
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 08:18:06 pm by Ranstaden »

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 06:38:50 am »
Hmm, I believe there are programs out there that can map the buttons and such from gamepads to keyboard input, so when you press a button on the gamepad, the computer will think you're actually pressing a certain key on your keyboard. Maybe that would be of help?