Author Topic: "Dear Esther" design elements  (Read 6808 times)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
"Dear Esther" design elements
« on: March 01, 2013, 06:53:05 pm »
I was playing the game "Dear Esther" and I must say it's one of the best looking games of all time in terms of a realistic feeling, immersive environment. So I thought it would be interesting to look at some of the deign elements the game uses.

The game seems to avoid straight polygon lines such as on the roof line in this picture. Lines that are straight, like the boards piled against the wall, are posed in irregular angles and textures use an effect similar to camouflage with irregular color blobs along the edges to mask them.

You can see the same thing here.  I couldn't find a crate from the wrecked ship that was a perfect cube. Everything was bent in a slight angle.

The ground of the map is raised in a very realistic land-mass shape. Even though it's mostly just covered with a flat texture, the realistic shape of the land makes it feel far more immersive.  I'd guess that real reference data (photos, maps etc) were used  in the construction.

Choosing to model subjects with expectedly straight lines can enable low polygons with a feeling of high detail. A lot of the models in the game use quite a low-polygon count but still look amazing and it frequently chooses to model parts made after real objects which have straight lines. For instance, I've seen real walls constructed exactly like the ones pictured below. They use a cap of flat cement on top of natural curved rocks. So even though the wall model is extremely low polygon, it doesn't look as fake as it would if the model was a mimicking a pure natural-rock wall.

The rocks are quite low-poly too, but the game uses the polygon lines to reinforce an appearance of natural striation layer lines.

Plant positioning, coloring and type are consistent to what you expect to see together in the real world. They are actually just flat single poly "billboards" with undetailed, blobby textures, but their positioning, coloring and type make an overall immersive feeling.

The game uses a staggering amount of subtle motion at any give time.  In the picture, the horizon fog was drifting right, clouds drifting overhead, waves toward shore, sporadic dust clouds blew toward the player, and plants bobbed in the wind. In the real world things are almost always moving subtly so this seems to add a lot of immersion.  I've seen some games that use excessive motion (Gothic 4) and can become very obnoxious. I think slight, slow and sporadic is the way to go.

Sound unquestionable plays a huge part in this games realism. Wind-gust noises are played now and then as well as occasional unexplained, but natural sounds nearby- cracking wood etc. Sound may be one of the easiest things a game maker can use to create realism. Again, I think subtle and sporadic is the way to go.

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
Re: "Dear Esther" design elements
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 05:07:22 am »
Thanks for this write up, man! Really interesting!

Also been meaning to check this game out for quite a while now, too! In fact, been meaning to since it was news that it was going to be turned into a stand alone game. ;)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 06:20:16 pm »
Dear Ester is more of a 3D gallery than a game. You just explore and get occasional cryptic story bits, but there is nothing to interact with. I still enjoyed it, and it's fairy cheap so I'd recommend it to anyone who appreciates artistic constructions.  :smile: 

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 08:40:42 pm »
I'd recommend it to anyone who appreciates artistic constructions.

MEEEEEEE  :drummer:

Offline Verdite

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 08:41:35 pm »
John I really appreciate this almost dissection of the game, nice of you to take the time to write about it.

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 02:58:17 pm »
Dear Ester is more of a 3D gallery than a game. You just explore and get occasional cryptic story bits, but there is nothing to interact with. I still enjoyed it, and it's fairy cheap so I'd recommend it to anyone who appreciates artistic constructions.  :smile:
Well, that suits me just fine. I enjoy storytelling in general, including unorthodox methods for doing so. I'm also quite a bit interested in indie games in general, and trying games(or interactive experiences) that are just different. So I will surely try out this.

Also, these guys have actually teamed up with Swedish indie developer Frictional Games to create the sequel to Amnesia: The Dark Descent. The sequel will be named Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs, and I've certainly got my hopes up for this game seeing how incredibly good Amnesia was, and thechineseroom is actually the main developer of the game this time around, using the engine created by Frictional Games. So yeah, really looking forward to this. :D

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 07:53:09 pm »
The game seems to avoid straight polygon lines such as on the roof line in this picture. Lines that are straight, like the boards piled against the wall, are posed in irregular angles and textures use an effect similar to camouflage with irregular color blobs along the edges to mask them.

I can't fathom any value in this myself. Ancient builders were more precise than modern builders. And I can't think of any reason (no matter how remote that) this kind of art policy would make a game look better. Needless to say when using tiles as with SOM, which is a good idea, eschewing straight lines, especially on the boundaries, would pose all kinds of problems for authors and modelers alike.

In short there's nothing unnatural about straight lines. When it comes to man-made things they are more common than the alternative (edited: of course for organic or rotted/haphazardly built structures as seen here a straight line is just simply incorrect, an off line is a better approximation)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:59:09 pm by Holy Diver »

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 08:06:35 pm »
Some more screen shots showing the benefit of avoiding excessive straight or parallel lines. From the game Requital.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 08:08:57 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 09:17:48 pm »
Some more screen shots showing the benefit of avoiding excessive straight or parallel lines. From the game Requital.

Is this a response to my above post? Because if it is. What are the "benefits" here? You might want to define that. You don't want to give artists the impression that this is something they should make an effort to do without any grounds for an argument :movingeyes:

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 12:54:09 pm »
It's just a matter of taste so it seems rather useless to say it's right or wrong. Obviously, if someone disagrees, they are free to use perfectly straight or parallel lines as much as they want. Pictures say as much as need be said as to the benefit of breaking up straight lines.

But I will mention that it's completely untrue that "ancient builders were far more precise than modern builders". Have you ever looked in a house from the 1500's or down an ancient street? Maybe you're thinking of the pyramids, Parthenon or such, but obviously, they are not the norm.

Even in modern times, things are not perfectly straight. Look at your roofline or a fence some time. The eye expects sagging, denting, bends. Perfect straightness looks artificial; that's why the whole technology of normal mapping was developed; that's why modern 3D games use high-poly models and have face textures showing pores and blemishes. If you think perfectly straight parallel lines look better, go for it. But I'd say you're in the minority.