Author Topic: hey if any of you happen to remember me im back :P (verdite!)  (Read 1847 times)

Offline eric

• Mace Masher
  • Yo
hey if any of you happen to remember me im back :P (verdite!)
« on: February 15, 2013, 05:14:05 pm »
sup! just lettin you know sorry about the let down on cursed dungeon dream realm, i lost the project folder and the computer it was in is now gone and im working on a new game on a laptop, game is called record of highgate :P

Offline eric

• Mace Masher
  • Yo
Re: hey if any of you happen to remember me im back :P (verdite!)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 05:20:46 pm »
im a wishy washy reid in the wind kind of fellow, so i like to take my time so that i dont become too obsessed and lose interest after a while, so as of now its just a casual project that im having fun tinkering with

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 10:41:09 pm »
nothing wrong with tinkering :)
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 05:31:16 pm »
Yeah, having fun is an important part of game making.

On the subject of working slow but still making progress, I've thought it would work well with SoM to make a game in installments. You could have a central hub map with warps to other gameplay "levels".  When you complete a new level, you could just activate a new warp on the central hub map and players could download an update with the new level. You could set up the scenario as part of the story line and it would allow you to make new worlds without having to maintain strict design consistency with old worlds (levels). And you could make as many or as few new levels as you wanted. If you locked the players out of old (completed) levels, that would free up all the counters, timers etc for use on new levels. I expect that would simplify game making considerably.   :movingeyes:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:34:15 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline eric

• Mace Masher
  • Yo
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 06:42:27 pm »
thats actually a really good idea..! i may do that :) in my game so far theres a field in the opening with a dude you talk to who gives you a key and tells you whats going on then you can go in the dungeon, the dungeon could then lead to a hub like youre talking about :D  then maybe that way i can actually get a game finished. i never completed one.. :(

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 10:01:13 am »
I think you have dipped your toe into the world of game making enough  :wink: you should know by now whether or not you are willing to devote time to a final project. Having people on your side is a big support, if you get stuck you can come here.

Holy Diver used to talk about having installments like John mentioned. Its a good idea if you arent sure how much time you want to spend game making, you could be player character centric and focus primarily on the player developing their character, and finding items etc.
Its good to get into a routine. I need to model at least 4 or 5 times a week to keep my ball rolling. Try having a set day a week for working on your game.

Offline Hguols

• VIP
  • Guardian in Groundal
    • Orationem
Re: Re: hey if any of you happen to remember me im back :P (verdite!)
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 04:20:27 pm »
im a wishy washy reid in the wind kind of fellow, so i like to take my time so that i dont become too obsessed and lose interest after a while, so as of now its just a casual project that im having fun tinkering with

In definitely the obsessed type. I would say that I regret that because I'm completely burnt out of making games...

...but I got shite to show for it though! That wouldn't have happened with taking my sweet time.

Whichever path works for you, go for it. As long as it works...

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 08:19:28 am »
The hub point is definitely not a bad idea, would be akin to Demon's Souls.  The only thing you have to be mindful of is placing new items/objects/enemies/npcs in that area.  Adding events to maps should work fine with patches and saves, however modifying the location of any of the aforementioned things I believe will break a save game.  In other words, add an object for every warp point youre going to eventually need in your game, and an npc/enemy/item and so on.  You can add in the content to those objects etc later on via events, but you can't add a new item to the map without busting a save game.
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder