Author Topic: Eternal Ring  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
Eternal Ring
« on: February 03, 2013, 12:21:22 pm »
Ive got moderately far in eternal ring after rebuying it.

Something i noticed is that alot of cavern areas have map tiles with no roof. Theres a cave section in the game where i looked up, and saw no roof model and around the highest sections of the walls, there was a purple hue (receeding colour)

Its probably not a big deal for people, but do you think having no roof model is noticable? Im asking this because im about to start redeveloping my entire cavern set once and for all.

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
Re: Eternal Ring
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 03:19:54 pm »
I think it sort of depends on what you're going for. Sometimes it's better to be able to see the roof, other times it's better to not be able to see it. Depending on how it's done, it can change a lot about what a player feels when being in that cave.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 04:09:53 pm »
I was thinking the same. I think feeling clausterophobic a bit can add pressure to the area. Open roof means i could place some giant bats up there..  :biggrin:

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 05:30:02 pm »
I agree with Guyra. both are good depending. No-roof gives the feeling of being in a large magnificent cavern, whereas a low roof makes me feel trapped and claustrophobic. So it all depends on what feel you are going for.  You could use both to make a nice contrasting gameplay experience. The Tomb Raider series used that contrast effectively. I always had a sigh of relief when I got out out of the tunnel mazes and into a big open cavern . . . at least until I the T-Rex ate me  :sweatdrop:

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 05:46:52 pm »
Hehe, yeah! That's actually a very good example, John! :)

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 05:05:15 pm »
Ive taken inspiration from this, you guys are partly responsible for over 50 of my latest map parts!  :movingeyes:

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 06:26:10 pm »
50! You're amazing Ben. I must say the map "walls" in your last demo looked amazing for SoM's tile construction.   

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 06:31:05 pm »
Thanks! It took me a while to get the texture right. I dont alot of manual editing on it. The cliffs in the village have a hand made texture, of which Holy Diver and i struggled with to find the right balance of colour.

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 07:58:07 pm »
Thanks guys.

Made the whole set in 9 hours. Thats 35 whole map pieces, and 70 map parts (msm and mhm.) texture included.

For those perceptive enough to notice... The lowest roof section is actually a small tunnel, which leads up a slope into a bigger tunnel. Yeah thats two different tunnel height map sets. While i showed the cavern open, the floor pieces can be used to close the cavern.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 08:52:45 pm by Verdite »

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 08:41:45 am »
Excellent work, as always!
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder