Author Topic: Hello !  (Read 3103 times)

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
Re: Hello !
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 07:33:16 pm »
Hey, welcome to the community! Nice to see a new face. :D

Personally, I've never tried working with SoM(please don't burn me at the stake, guys!), but I am both interested in game making(actually working on something at this very moment), and a huge King's Field fan. :)

So yeah, I'll probably be the least help to you, of all the people here. Hehehe! :beerchug:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 07:35:59 pm by Guyra »

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 05:31:48 am »
Hello Smittox and welcome :) Your avatar picture looks familiar from a post in the old Agetec forums. Were you a member there by any chance?

Making an MHM file is usually not complicated. It sounds to me like your MHM is misaligned with the MSM, your map Pieces don't join seamlessly, or perhaps you are choosing the incorrect MHM file when you create your map Piece? If you post the MQO files you are using for the problematic MSM/MHM I can tell you what is going wrong.

While SomEx may work fine for you and is definitely worth trying, I'll just say that the last Ex-enabled Rathmor demo would not run on my winXP PC. It did run on a Win7 PC but I had at least three crashes within 30 minutes of playing. Mick (Holy Diver) is the creator of Ex and is a bit biased about it's praises. I do not agree that original (non-Ex) SoM games are as "unplayable" and "obsolete" as Mick states. But at least Mick is still working on fixing Ex bugs whereas the quirks in original SoM are here to stay.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:42:50 am by HwitVlf »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 07:39:10 am »
 "I looked over the updated tutorial. Is it making the plane from a primitive that makes the difference when making the .mhm for a map piece?"

Yes, everything must match and be flat. If one part links into another and the vertices dont perfectly overlap / join then there will be issues.
I can send you some mhm pieces if you'd like and i can explain how to create simple step MHM for map pieces.

Offline Holy_Diver

• Holy Diver
  • Archmage of Light
  • This account won't read/reply to Private Messages
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 12:19:23 pm »
Sorry if you had trouble figuring things out. http://www.swordofmoonlight.net/ex/ is the logical place to start. Most posts in the forums are discussions. You won't find howto's or anything in there like you might here. If you look in the files available for download there are also instructions in the form of README.txt-like files in there. I bet Verdite will help you along. Good luck.

I am probably going to be writing up a script tutorial soon. The site is by all means incomplete. So you are not late at all. You are very early in fact :wink:

EDITED: Script means the text of your game. Just like a movie script. You should be sure you understand how that works before making an elaborate level map.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:23:31 am by HwitVlf »

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 05:04:06 pm »
I have to say that even my £300 general use laptop i bought 1.5 years ago runs Dark Destiny like a dream. There are little to no issues and i dont believe ive had a crash yet.

Offline dmpdesign

• Moonlight Retiree
  • Administrator
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
    • http://swordofmoonlight.com
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 08:49:02 am »
Great to have you aboard!  Can't wait to see your stuff.

Quick comment though, I though SOM only supported a .5m rise?  It has been so long I can't remember  :confused:
- Todd DuFore (DMPDesign)
Site Founder

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 10:08:24 am »
Thats right, although you can have as steep a slope as you want, you just cant climb it, you'l slide down it though.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 02:44:42 pm »
I think .5m is the maximum step straight up, but the max walkable slope is 45 degrees up or down. Since map Pieces are 2m wide, that means you should be able to have a 2m max slope on a single walkable map Piece. I know SoM's outdoor set came with 1m slopes which work fine.   :1zhelp: