Author Topic: Game mentioned as "like King's Field" - Hungry Ghosts  (Read 56466 times)

Offline Gworzor

• Dagger Carrier
Re: Game mentioned as "like King's Field" - Hungry Ghosts
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2014, 02:32:25 am »
Great to hear you're still working on this. Really looking forward to playing the game!

Offline Mord of Swoonlight

• Lord Veyrac's Illegitimate Son
  • Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2014, 11:56:57 pm »
Thanks for the hat tip, Gworzor!  Hearing from people who are eager to play helps keep me going!   :bowl:

Offline Verdite

• VIP
  • Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2014, 02:30:14 pm »
I cant wait either. I'm watching this one.  :smile:

Offline higado2

• Dagger Carrier
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2014, 05:11:06 pm »
I JUST found out that that PS2 Shadow Tower game was translated! Wow! And now Mord and his "shy" friend are working on this Hungry Ghosts game that I never even heard of! Many thanks! Looking forward to it! .... and all I was doing was looking for help with Diadem of Maunstraut (that damn Fire Key IN the lava! what the hell??  :madani:). Such a good game! But I really hate that "darkness" skeleton!  :madani: hehehe

Mord and Nembo, please keep up the good work! We're counting on you!  :smile:

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2014, 12:15:09 am »
Welcome, higado2! 

OK, so I thought I was missing a bunch of the NPC discussions, and started searching through the binary again.  (But went about it slightly differently.)   I spoke too soon before - I just uncovered a whole pile of new (unique) blocks to translate.   :cheesy:

I do think I have almost everything identified now.  I count up a total of 700~ish kB of raw text in the game.  That may not sound like much if you're used to seeing MB sized pdfs and whatnot, but remember this is raw text size.   To put this in perspective, averaging 2 bytes per Shift-JIS character, that's roughly 350,000 Japanese characters.  Typical words average about 2 characters, so... you get the idea.    :OOooh:

With the new stuff added into the mix, I'm at about 20% finished. 

But, I don't see that as a discouragement, just a shift in expectations.  The fight will go on.   :groundal:

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2014, 12:22:06 am »
Oh, and I also tried searching for the static images with text again (like the title screen, controls screen...), but no luck.  PS2 images are usually stored in TIM2 format, and there are various tools out there (such as TextER) to search disc files for any TIM2 headers.  But these turned up nothing.    Hopefully something will turn up later, but everyone may be forced to just reference the photoshopped screenshot I uploaded earlier for those things...

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2014, 12:41:45 am »
Wow!  :eek:

I had hoped the total text would be far less than that  after duplication-adjustment. Most people who have been in school can identify with having to write a 10,000 word essay - 15 to 20 pages, single spaced. Well this would be at least around a 250 page essay! And translating is probably as hard as, if not harder than composing an original essay.

Believe it or not, Brigandine has about 1MB of raw text with katakana/hiragana encoded in 1byte per letter. I don't think most people (myself included) appreciate how much effort developers put into composing text for an average game.

I really appreciate all the effort your putting in Mord!  :beerchug:

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2014, 12:46:11 am »
I suppose I can at least throw everyone a minor bone.   :wink:

When I first started translating this, I kind of thought that most of the NPC interactions would have semi-cheesy stories about their deaths.  "Mr. Fartypants wanted my money, so he poisoned me!" or something along those lines.  But NOOooo no, some of the content is really, properly, dark.  Not in a explicitly gruesome way, but more hinting at the horrors these souls trapped in Hell's buffer zone have endured.  I was going over this one passage today - a menu description about a lever.  (I will note that you won't use the item for the purpose described; it will be a trigger for a conversation with someone afflicted by it in the past...)    Paraphrasing:   

A lever.  It seems like it fits into something to release some kind of blockage. 
[further down] 
This area is darker than elsewhere; I can't make out details very well. 
This appears to be a lever used for opening stuck torture tools. 
It has a certain presence about it.
It faintly... exudes the malice of those who were tortured and executed here...

Unfortunately, the space is extremely limited (as always), and I had to shorten it quite a bit.  But it gets the job done. 

The tone of the game is not really depressing, by any means, though.  You're not necessarily trying to redeem yourself, per se, but rather involve yourself in this place and with its inhabitants in order to change your otherwise certain fate which you will receive upon your final judgment.  The whole thing borrows heavily from various Buddhist ideas about fate, karma, and the like.  So this is not Hell according to the rough Western concept.  But the inhabitants of this place did not end up here because they were good. 

It's a fascinating game, and I'm excited about finally being able to play it through in English.

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2014, 12:51:00 am »
Holy cow, Wolf.  Brigandine has, well, roughly a metric s**t ton of text.  We both did it to ourselves this time, huh?  Good luck to us both, I guess!    :dazed:

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2014, 01:59:59 am »
LoL that's the truth!  :drool:

That is a neat detail from the translation. Your description about the game's narration style is exactly what I was hoping for. I've played a good number of "horror" type  games, but Hunger seemed to have a lot more depth and ambiance than average. Great stuff!!