Author Topic: Game mentioned as "like King's Field" - Hungry Ghosts  (Read 56473 times)

Offline Kuronekoekoeko

• Dagger Carrier
Re: Game mentioned as "like King's Field" - Hungry Ghosts
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2014, 01:45:07 am »
Holy shit. I had to make an account here just so I could say how awesome you guys are for working on this game.
... When I first saw this thread some months ago, I though the project was dead; only now did I notice that the replies were all really recent, meaning that there's still a chance for me to one day play this incredible game in english.

:movingeyes:

Three or four months have passed now since I played King's Field and Shadow Tower, and I just fell in love with the series and it's enigmatic lore. It's so different and mysterious, I can't describe the feeling of playing them.

King's Field IV and Shadow Tower Abyss were just masterpieces, and I'm really sad that there are no more games like those left for me to play. They were really fun, and when I discovered Hungry Ghosts, I knew I one day just had to play it, even if I couldn't understand a single thing (good to know I just have to be a little more patient, thanks to you guys).

Really, thanks a LOT! You guys are doing a great work!  :biggrin:

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2014, 01:41:21 pm »
I agree! I'm really grateful that Mord of Swoonlight is doing this project. There aren't too many games that make me say "wow", but Hunger did. It seems to have excellent artistic taste, great ambiance, and uniquely interesting game play. I hope the story lives up to the rest of the package.

Like Kuronekoekoeko says, thank you for this Mord!!! :cool:

Offline Mord of Swoonlight

• Lord Veyrac's Illegitimate Son
  • Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2014, 10:54:55 pm »
Well, shucks.  It's always wonderful to hear that my efforts are appreciated!   :badteeth:

And of course, I'm not doing ALL the work...  The various forms of support I get from all you guys help the project move forward.  (And in case he is still planning on hiding in the shadows, I'll introduce Nembo here - he's helping with a lot of the tedious work, such as verifying the block positions, etc.).  It's happening slowly but surely!

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2014, 01:32:52 pm »
Here is the screenshot of the controls, with translations.  I'll include this with the release, of course, but I figure it's probably good to have it available in multiple locations. 

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2014, 09:54:20 pm »
Cool!

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2014, 03:07:54 pm »
Mini update.  Many items' detailed menu descriptions and events are now finished.  But more importantly, I guess, I just finished the journal entries / dialogue records last night. 

As always, progress is slow but steady.   :dazed:

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2014, 06:48:36 pm »
Took a break from the actual translating to tidy up the accounting (of the text locations, etc.).  And I started a catalogue of the text duplicates.  As mentioned long ago, there are quite a few exact duplicates - that's good news for getting the game out sooner!  I've also noticed a couple patterns in the entries that might help speed things up slightly.   :badteeth:

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2014, 02:49:12 pm »
Great job Mord! My jaw dropped open when I first saw how much text there was in this game, but I'm really hoping it's mostly just duplication. I've seen other games that use a duplicate of the entire text for each area of the game.

Is that the entire journal entry section? People who haven't played this game may not get how much that is. Isn't that about 75% of the text needed to make the game playable to English speakers?

Anyways great work! :coffee:

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2014, 11:56:19 pm »
Yeah, the journal entries were a fair amount - about 600 lines or so - but this game has truly ridiculous amounts of text.   :sweatdrop:  I started compiling a list of all the unique text blocks, to help put things in perspective.  I don't have everything in there yet, but when I did a quick sum on the total lengths of the blocks I have translated and not, I have something like 30-40% of the unique text in the game translated.   

Yup, there's tons of exact duplication.  As you mentioned about other games, this one also seems to have a separate copy of a certain set of items (90 or so text blocks) for each level.  That part will be easy to deal with; getting the first one of each into English will be the time consuming bit.  The journal entries aren't actually exact copies of the dialogues, though.  An example: say an NPC says "Give me the ring!"  The corresponding journal entry will then say something like "He told me to give him the ring."  So the actual dialogues will still take some time, especially since I haven't quite found all the dialogue blocks yet.

Now I just need to maintain a pace that won't interfere with school...  :evils:

Offline Xethuminra

• Mace Masher
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2014, 12:05:58 am »
Wowie, sounds like a lot of work is going into this

Do it to it, man