Author Topic: Game mentioned as "like King's Field" - Hungry Ghosts  (Read 56525 times)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: Game mentioned as "like King's Field" - Hungry Ghosts
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2014, 05:48:46 pm »
Really cool! I would think help could go a long way in the Hunger project because there's so much duplication to dig through. I know how much work is involved in something like this, but I hope you both stick with it! 
:beerchug:

Offline Mord of Swoonlight

• Lord Veyrac's Illegitimate Son
  • Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2014, 10:09:20 pm »
Yes, I'm hoping there won't be too many casualties in the Hunger Games.

:sweatdrop:

The worse the joke, the better.

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2014, 01:55:47 am »
Just to give an idea of the kind of things that are making this project take a while...

Came across this little gem in the menu items block today:
保持すると移動に関する呪いを
自動で跳ね返し、呪われ中に使
用する事で呪いを解除する。

:face85:

(They managed to use the word "curse" three times in the same sentence!  Curses!)

It literally translates (with a little rearranging) as something like: "When it is held, movement-related curses are automatically rebounded, curses are released when used mid-curse."

Making this more natural (by taking some liberties), it reads something like "Holding this automatically reflects movement-related curses. Using this will also release curses currently in effect."

But, the translation is limited to 82 characters (28-28-26), so I adopt something like:
"
Movement-related curses
repelled when held, current
curses released when used.
"
which barely fits in the space available... 

:smash2:

Onward and upward!   :coffee:

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2014, 03:07:08 am »
Lol  :biggrin: I feel for you! One that still makes me laugh from KFJ was the truth mirror message for the mummy which read something like:
Mummy
A mummy man who has been mummified by being wrapped in bandages.
Err...thanks for clearing that up? I couldn't bear to do a literal translation on that one.

Your final product is clear and sounds fine.  :cool:

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2014, 01:50:04 pm »
About 2/3 done with the huge block of menu items...   :bluelink:

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2014, 02:08:45 am »
OK, finally finished with the menu items (though some entries will likely get updated later...).  So, yeah!  With this, here is how things stand:

Finished
  • Opening video
  • Opening sequence/dialogue with the boatman
  • System settings
  • Menu items
  • Status messages/common replies (what I've found doesn't seem to be all of them, though)

Unfinished
* Basically, ALL of the dialogue between the player and NPCs

Things that can't currently be done:
* The screen that shows the controller settings seems to be hard-coded as an image (i.e., not searchable text).  So unless someone can track down the exact image, I'll just have to include a screenshot with translations overlaid in the distro.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2014, 02:29:16 pm »
That's very cool. Just having the menu in English along with the story setup does tons to make the game more accessible to English speakers.

Can you post a screen shot of the graphic-text you need to edit?  If I get some free time, I'll have a look.

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2014, 06:43:37 pm »
Yeah, thanks!  It'll be a few days (traveling again), but I'll get it.   :movingeyes:

Extending on that, there are a couple other things that seem to be stored as images.  The options on the menu screen such as "Enter the Gate" (i.e., Start Game) seem to be so.  At least, a search for those strings didn't turn up anything.  And the enter-your-name screen is also only in katakana - the background image for sure, but also characters that show up when you select one.  I tried to find where they are stored, because I could just swap them out with 2-byte English characters, but no dice so far.
Not sure what can be done yet about either of these (or if it's even worth spending time trying to track them down in the data), but I'm planting them firmly in the "think about later" category.   :rolleyes:  The controller configuration screen is much more important.

That's very cool. Just having the menu in English along with the story setup does tons to make the game more accessible to English speakers.

Yeah, I was actually thinking the other day that it might be really fun to intentionally release a version like that:
Basically, you get the run-down at the beginning from the ferryman, and all your menu items/descriptions, self-monologues, etc. are understandable (English), but all the NPCs are speaking to you in this unintelligible-to-your-character language (Japanese), and you have to try to figure out how to appease them from the various clues.  It kind of stands to reason that in a hell-type place, there would be tons of  entities that don't speak your language.  Seems like a neat take on the story, anyway.     :rolleyesani:

• Silvarion Slasher
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2014, 11:24:14 pm »
OK, here's a screenshot of the controller settings screen.  The text entries may be in there somewhere, but I didn't have any luck finding them... 

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2014, 03:54:08 pm »
Bah humbug! No luck- at least without spending more time than I have to spare right now.

I don't think this screen is using the default font - you can see how the イ character at top (default font?) differs from the font used in the main screen like to the right of "SELECT".  Meaning, this screen probably is a graphic image. I found the regular font file (its at the beginning of pack.dat). There's also a specialized text image with things like "R2 LR" nearby, but no luck with stuff in the screen shot.

The main problem is that the PS2 images seem to be stored in a mixed up (swizzled) format which is optimized for the PS2 hardware. That makes it quite hard to find an image in a raw graphic scanner.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.  :tinfoil: You might try posting in the "Personal Projects" section at Romhacking.net. Someone there may have a better understanding of the PS2's quirks :badteeth: