Author Topic: Game mentioned as "like King's Field" - Hungry Ghosts  (Read 56273 times)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
Re: Game mentioned as "like King's Field" - Hungry Ghosts
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 02:45:14 pm »
Hunger appears to have an epic amount of text!

Offline Black Hood

• Long Sword Swinger
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 07:13:48 pm »
My copy came in the mail the other day. I'm going to make an attempt to play it a bit with the English walkthrough I found.

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 05:44:38 pm »
Now that Pilot Style is done, I'll look into this a little. I certainly don't plan on doing a full translation on my own right now because I'm very eager to get back to making my SoM game. But maybe some of the menus would make the game easier to play.

Like most games these days, Hunger has its files lumped into one big clump. I think I've figured out the format enough to "decompact" it, but I'll have to make a tool to do so.

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 03:00:46 am »
@John: Ifyou were to make the tool and gave me some basic instructions, I'd be glad to try and get the whole game translated. :)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 07:15:41 pm »
The tool is attached, but it just extracts the separate files out of the big one- it doesn't dump the text or anything.

This game has a massive amount of text so translation help would be excellent.

The tool will extract some 2500 files to wherever Pack.dat is so don't use it on your desktop etc or you'll cover it with files. Not all the files have text in them. The extracted file names are just tags to enable reinsertion after translated  and basically mean "[Archive#],[File#], [offset]"  so "1.4.0x00008000" would be file4 in archive1 which is at location 8000.

You can open the files with Microsoft Word (using other encoding - Japanese Shift-JIS) to read the Japanese. I know system text is in file 0.2. It would be a good place to start. Recording what text is in which files would be useful. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 11:21:32 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 09:47:58 pm »
After looking at the text more, I think it may have a lot of duplication. Which means there may not be as much to translate as I thought.  The game may store a separate full copy of menu text for each "map" area or something. It's not uncommon for games to do it that way.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 10:18:27 pm by HwitVlf »

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 06:46:10 am »
@John: If there's a lot of duplication, that would make things easier, indeed. :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 05:54:47 pm by Guyra »

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 09:54:08 pm »
A pic of some test text (typos included :smash2:) I don't think the font is great, but that's secondary in my thinking.
There is a lot of repeated text. The phrase "Looks like a keyhole" appears around 17 times.

Offline Guyra

• Decked in Promeus
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 02:56:37 pm »
Ah, I've only got OpenOffice, and it doesn't read the files right, even with the correct encoding. Getting MS Office. ;)

Offline HwitVlf

• Dark Slayer Destroyer
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 04:41:11 pm »
You might try notepad++. It's free and works better than Word in some ways.  For Japanese you can select encoding > character set > Japanese >Shift JIS and turning wordwrap on would probably help.

If having cleaned up text would help, I can do that fairly easily and send some to you.

I've translated most of the "radial menu" choices and I'm working on the items now.